for those contemplating using Z49 in Pelican M6

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
As other's have mentioned yes, it does screw in and work flawlessly. However the diameter of the Z49 clickie is somewhat bigger then the Pelican M6 body. In my hands, the differences in the diameters makes the light uncomfortable to hold. So for me I'm sticking with the orginal M6 tail cap despite the desire for a clickie. Just food for thought for those who are considering ordering a Z49 for this purpose.

Darell

Flashaholic
Thanks, geepondy. I was just about to start asking around about PM6 clickies. It works, but it isn't ideal...hmmm... bummer. I love those SF clickies. I don't suppose you have a picture of what it looks like with the Z49 on there, do you? The last thing I want to do is make my PM6 more bulky - it is a pretty thick, hefty bugger already (as compared to, say, my L4.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Z49 on one of my PM6's with a V2T DD module and an A19 extender.

I think the (edit) Z49 looks and feels better on a 3 cell PM6 than it does on a 2-cell version.

Look at the pictures of a Pila G3, imagine a thinner head, and you'll have a good idea of what this looks like.

Raindrop

Enlightened
I am running two of the McModule / PM6 combos right now. My Silver with W3V has the Flashlightlens kroll conversion in and it is a nice setup. The Black V2T is setup with the Z49 and it is a little bulky. I have been waiting to place another order with the Sandwich Shoppe but I have a couple of the early P6 and Z6 Black switches that I am going to do the kroll classic conversion on when I do. From everything I have heard that will be the "perfect" PM6 switch conversion. Right now in the regular iteration they work quite well as momentary switches.

Raindrop

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
lemlux said:
I have a Z49 on one of my PM6's with a V2T DD module and an A19 extender.

I think the Z69 looks and feels better on a 3 cell PM6 than it does on a 2-cell version.

Look at the pictures of a Pila G3, imagine a thinner head, and you'll have a good idea of what this looks like.

[/ QUOTE ]

As a follow up question, the A19 and extra 123 cell won't do any damage to the V2T will it?? Since I have an A19 sitting around I wouldn't mind trying this out but I wouldn't want to fubar my McModule /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

rookie

Enlightened
Raindrop,

From my understanding from Mr. Bulk, if you place an extra 123 into your McModule, you will DESTROY the BB750 regulator and your McModule will also become a DD.

Please don't do this to your regulated McModule. Mr. Bulk said that it was only designed for 2X123s.

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
When looking at the light with the Z49 (mine is a McModule as well), it doesn't look too much thicker but when holding with your hand, you can easily feel the difference where the M6 body enters the Z49. As mentioned though performance wise it works flawlessly and what a nice switch the Z49 is though. I prefer the design over my Surefire E series clickie as the switch is recesses inside the housing.

And what a nice light the McModule is. Is is currently my most used light. I use the SN II to wow folks but I use the McModule nearly every day around the house. Between the Arc AAA, the Surefire E1/KL1, the McModule and a PT Auora headlight I am covered for all possible house light needs.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Raindrop:

I took care to reference the "DD V2T Module", not the "McModule". Mr. Bulk made the DD unit for me without a BB 750 or any other regulator and used 3 * 123 with it.

I am actually driving it more conservatively in the extended body with 1 @ 67 mm Li-Ion plus 1 @ 123.

I sometimes drive my W3V McModule in a PM6 with the same power combination. Sometimes I use a 67 mm Li-Ion plus an AA NiMH in an A14 extender to give it the 4.8 V minimum input that the BB750 requires.

Raindrop

Enlightened
Thanks for all the feedback and sorry I missed the DD reference or I wouldn't have asked. I have been toying with the idea of the Pilas for the L4, so I'll just keep using the 2x123 configuration for the McModules.

I find myself using the L4 when I am carrying a light during the day and into the evening versus the McModules when I take a light out for evening / night walks. The Z49 is a great switch but it does preclude using the pouch supplied by Pelican. My W3V and pouch are attached to one of my concealed carry fanny packs for an always available / dependable light. With the flashlightlens switch conversion it provides for positive function and a compact form factor.

Darell

Flashaholic
I probably don't say this as often as it happens, but I'll happily admit it here: I'm am SUCH an idiot!

Would you believe me if I told you that I thought the Z49 and Z48 were different (functionally) switches? Yup! Here I've had a Z48 on my C2 forever, and I had no idea we were talking about the same thing in a different color! Duh. So I just tried mine on the PM6. Love the switch, but yeah - it is just too damn big. Tough to hold, tough to holster, bad balance. But man-o-man, I love that switch!

Whew! Thanks guys - glad to get that off my chest. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Darell

Flashaholic
And what is the consensus on the flashlightlens Kroll conversion these days? I know there were a few problems early on. Did those get fixed? I *need* clickie for this thing.

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was lucky with my Kroll but the problem is for Pelican to fix.
Their tolerances just aren't predictable and even their switch assemblies vary. Some are glued together and others aren't.
IF you can get your PM6 switch apart then you SHOULD have no problem installing the Kroll.
Either a little sanding or a lot of grease and you'll be set.

Darell

Flashaholic
Ah thanks. Meant no disrespect for the adapter, certainly. I know just how tough it is to depend on other products' tolerances! You can tell I'm coming late to the whole Pelican M6 craze, so thanks for bringing me up to speed. Looks like I'll have three of them around here soon (all modified, natch), so all info is good info!

lildave

Newly Enlightened
Re: for those contemplating using Z49 in Pelican M

my clickie covervsion just took a little sand paper and 2 min.
works great.