Time to catch up with technology!

Troop#26

Newly Enlightened
Fellow CPFers. lovecpf

I have not been around here in quite some time, or should I say I havent posted here in quite some time. The time has come to upgrade my current flashlight collection. One thing I will say with caution is that I dont collect like many of you do, for the shear joy of having a whole bunch of really cool lights. I dont for the sake of my wallet! Instead, all my lights are purpose purchased for my job first and then they end up in my garage second once they are replaced. I am a LEO and EVERYONE on this board was very helpful in my first purchases to get me running in my job. :twothumbs Thanks!

I currently own a Pila GL2 with a Wolf Eyes D26 drop in, it was a high end BIN set when I got it and it claims 280 lumens from what I remember, I run it with one AW 18650. It has served as my primary light now for quite some time, sitting on my strong side in front of my gun bezel down turned slightly for a cross draw with my weak hand. I also cary on my belt a Pila GL4 with a custom made for me D36 version of Lumens factory's HO-R5 a claimed 630 lumens running two AW 18650 cells. (Lumens Factory ROCKS!!! Cannot say enough good things about them). I currently have it with an red LED tail cap for long walks in the park and moon light tracks, however I have had two LED tail caps now for the GL4 and both have had the "lens" portion fall out so I am actually pushing on the "leds" to make the momentary work. This is held on my weak side slightly around back, but not so far that it prevents me from sitting in a car, also weak hand draw.

Both have been great lights and have yet to let me down. They have had the crap-ola kicked out of them and have done very well, though the anodizing was less than stellar. I find the form factors are starting to bother me (partially the fault of the tail cap lens on the GL4 failing) and I am starting to get interested in different UI's and newer technology. I have stayed VAUGLY connected to flashlights in this time, obviously seeing what other LEOs have on their belts has helped keep me sort of in the loop. Around a year, maybe a year and a half ago, I decided it was time to upgrade, perhaps replace is a better word, what I currently had with Surefire products. Having handled different lights at work be it Fenix, Streamlight or other cheeper (often chinese brands) I always found my self drawn to the Surefire products.

The original plan was to replace the GL4 with a M6. I use the GL4 primarily as a search light, occasionally with a weapon and really only take it out for long distances as the drop in on the GL2 is very bright and does well at shorter distances. The GL2 was going to be replaced by a AZ2 combat light and I was going to by an E1B just for shits and giggles. Then I started to research TIR "lenses", so then I wanted all TIR kit. Then I started to wait for the M3LT to come out, however its "regulation" really disappointed me! blah blah blah.

Anyway I have been planing this purchase for quite some time and technology has really moved around me. Here are my primary concerns for the new lighting trio.
1. All lights have similar UI. Preferably a momentary push button that brings the light to MAX brightness and a turn to lock the light on. Push for low push harder for high is fine, like the E1B. I CANNOT have a strobe and will not have double click to cycle through the modes. I attempted to use a light like this in a simunition training environment and I ended up cycling the light when I just wanted it ON and ended up giving up on my primary light in favour of a bigger GL4 in a close quarters environment just so I could get constant light output.
2. Same cells. I dont care if its all CR123, 18650, 17670, 17500... you get the idea... make them all the same. Rechargeables would be nice, but arnt a must.
3. LED's all the lights need to be LED and the need to have WARM tints. I am very tired of the BLUE 8000 degree tint of my WolfEyes drop in... it hurts my brain.
4. I need the following lights:
1. A search light BIG throw, BIG AREA, longer runtime 3-9 cr123 cells is fine, no longer than 2X18650 but cells can be stacked sideways. Somewhere around 450 surefire lumens (brighter is better of course). No HID, need instant on!
2. An everyday carry somewhere around 150-230 surefire lumens I would like a three hour runtime if possible.
3. A back up light can run for around 1 hours at 150 surefire lumens.
5. Table top REGULATION for all the lights!

I am also looking for some good technology in the lights, for example TIR or alike would be amazing! Certainly not a must however!

I have looked high and low for a manufacturer who makes this TIRO stock and cant find it. So what I am asking for is for CPFers to suggest bodies, drop ins (or other mods) and switches that can make this happen for me! I have set aside a considerable amount of money for this endeavor so let me know what you guys think!

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Welcome back. The SureFire Lx2 seems to match up with some of your requirements, and it's worth looking at. Your user name wouldn't happen to be a reference to BSA Troop 26 out of Santa Barbara, would it?

TwitchALot

Enlightened
Anyway I have been planing this purchase for quite some time and technology has really moved around me. Here are my primary concerns for the new lighting trio.
1. All lights have similar UI. Preferably a momentary push button that brings the light to MAX brightness and a turn to lock the light on. Push for low push harder for high is fine, like the E1B. I CANNOT have a strobe and will not have double click to cycle through the modes. I attempted to use a light like this in a simunition training environment and I ended up cycling the light when I just wanted it ON and ended up giving up on my primary light in favour of a bigger GL4 in a close quarters environment just so I could get constant light output.
2. Same cells. I dont care if its all CR123, 18650, 17670, 17500... you get the idea... make them all the same. Rechargeables would be nice, but arnt a must.
3. LED's all the lights need to be LED and the need to have WARM tints. I am very tired of the BLUE 8000 degree tint of my WolfEyes drop in... it hurts my brain.
1. A search light BIG throw, BIG AREA, longer runtime 3-9 cr123 cells is fine, no longer than 2X18650 but cells can be stacked sideways. Somewhere around 450 surefire lumens (brighter is better of course). No HID, need instant on!
2. An everyday carry somewhere around 150-230 surefire lumens I would like a three hour runtime if possible.
5. Table top REGULATION for all the lights!

I am also looking for some good technology in the lights, for example TIR or alike would be amazing! Certainly not a must however!

I have looked high and low for a manufacturer who makes this TIRO stock and cant find it. So what I am asking for is for CPFers to suggest bodies, drop ins (or other mods) and switches that can make this happen for me! I have set aside a considerable amount of money for this endeavor so let me know what you guys think!

Thanks in advance,

Stephen

When I saw #3, I first thought of this. Alternatively, you can get the 2 X AA version and stick a 1 X AA or 1 X CR123 body on it. A 2 X CR123A is a little big for me for a backup light, but the reason I jumped to #3 and skipped everything else is because I can't really think of production lights that fits all of your requirements.

Warm tinted LED's have significantly less output than cool LED's, so if you're looking for 180 so warm lumens at 3 hours, I immediately start to think that you're going to need a modded light, and it's probably going to have to be fairly large (a Warm 4.2 V tactical head from 4Sevens on an 18650 body might work, but it'll probably be shy of 150 lumens). It doesn't really get any better with the criteria for your first light. Getting that output out of a cool white emitter may be one thing, but warm? And you want all of the lights to have a similar interface and, "a turn to lock the light on"? Uh... :thinking: Yeah I'm going to need some help on this one...

Last edited:

Noctis

Enlightened
Sounds like either a twisty or clicky is good for you. I can't imagine multi-mode lights would meet your criteria unless you get it custom made so that you need more than 2 clicks to change modes.

I would check out the UI of his Arbor sprint run to see if you like it:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/280658

Not sure what you mean by "make them all the same", are you asking for one light recommendation or several?

My cool tint LEDs are 6500k and I usually won't notice the tint unless I'm lighting up a white wall. I would try a neutral 5700k tint.

I doubt warm tints have a huge color rendition difference over a good neutral, and I personally feel it's not worth bothering with LEDs if you're going for warm tints due to the lower efficiency.

1) I would try a 2D Maglite modded with an SST-50 driven at about 2.8Amps. You can bump it up to 5A for 1000 lumens. Though this would be pretty custom, demanding a special battery holder if you insist on using 18650 cells.
2) Any 1x18650 host with a Malkoff M61 drop-in module would get you pretty close.
3) If this is "just in case" your EDC battery dies out, would it not be easier to carry a spare battery?

Thanks in advance,

Stephen
If it were me, I would just get a custom-made bored Surefire C2 running off of an SST-50 with a TIR optic, using the Arnor's UI, and carry spare 1x18650 cells(might need a titanium case if you expect to get roughed up, since you don't want the batteries to explode if you get knocked onto the pavement).

Still, as a LEO, I question the use of custom lights. I would just want something that wouldn't make me cry like a baby if it got damaged badly, something easily replaceable.

For simplicity's sake, I strongly recommend a Surefire C2 bored body and a Malkoff M61.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would suggest the newly released Malkoff Wildcat V2 for short to medium distance darkness elimination - 750 OTF lumens via 3 x Cree XP-G R5 emitters within Mc Gizmo reflectors in a package slightly longer than a Surefire 9P with a larger head. Beautiful, perfect beam with a very wide and bright spill. Best quality available. Gene will have more available soon.:party:
www.malkoffdevices.com

Size comparison between the Wildcat and a Maglite 2D.
MD3Wildcat003.jpg

MD3Wildcat004.jpg

Last edited:

mosley

Newly Enlightened
+1 on Malkoff Wildcat V2 -- Please take the time to learn about these fantastic (in every way) "illumination tools"! I've got several.........

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
1. All lights have similar UI. Preferably a momentary push button that brings the light to MAX brightness and a turn to lock the light on.

Very few tails/tailcaps offer this interface (momentary+twisty), however those that do (read:Z41) work with many different body/hosts. If this is key, I suggest starting there and adding bodies & heads that meet the rest of your needs.

Troop#26

Newly Enlightened
ElectronGuru its almost hilarious that you had the last post on here.

I just wanted to let you guys know what I have done, so that anyone else looking at the thread would know the path I took.

I found oveready.com, they are sucking the life blood out of my wallet and I LOVE IT!!!:devil:

I purchased an Surefire M2 body bored to 18.65 Put on a Z44 bezel with Smooth Steel Black top retainer and Ultra Clear Glass. Added a Zero Resistance upgraded Z41 momentary. The M2 body is in Grey or Natural or what every they call it and the Bezel and Tailcap are Black long with the bezel retainer. I wish I had gone with the strike bezel, but maybe when more white C2's are out!! I mated it with a Oveready V3 Tripple in neutral, which I plan to run with 1X18650-2600 cell for around 700 lumens. Sadly not regulated but it will be MORE than bright enough even at the end of its power and great for an hour.

I also purchased my first Surefire M6 from OpticsHQ. They were amazing to deal with as well and offered great prices to CPF members. They also are sending me a V70 holster for the above light. I also ordered an MN61, MN21 and it comes with the MN20 bulb. I then got on the PHD-M6 wagon and got one of those. Then the Lumens Factory order went in with HO-M6, IMR-M6 and IMR-M3T all on their way. Im not sure which bulb I am going to use, but likely it will be wither the MN61, MN21 or IMR-M3T.

Then I wandered onto a hell of a deal for a Surefire M4 body with a Lumens Factory single mode P7 turbo head on it, the original KT4 had already been sold off. I picked it up for a very very fair price, so thats on its way too.

The long and the short of it is, Im going to have a hell of a lot of beam shots to show you guys soon!

I have also been ogling the MEGALLANIUM 1909 SEARCHLIGHT on Oveready.com.... WOW... but I think the Grand Plus I spent is enough for now!

Pictures as they arrive!

Thanks for everyones help!
lovecpf

Stephen

Thanks

Latest posts