Battery Voltage?

Status
Not open for further replies.

valleyz

Newly Enlightened
I have a Surefire E2e.I screwed up and left the light on the other day and put it back in my pocket
twak.gif
When I tried to use the light of course it didn't work.When I got home I checked the battery with a tester and it still had 2.76 volts but the flashlight would not burn.I installed a new battery and the light works great.Is this normal?? I assumed the E2e would just be dimmer with a low voltage battery instead of not working at all.

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Valleyz, welcome to CPF! You know...one of my first questions on this board was the EXACT same question you are asking!

The Surefire E2 and other 6V lights will stop operation at or near the 2.8V range. The first time i drained the first set of batteries in my E2 i was quite shocked, like you. I was expecting a little but more life, especially with that much voltage left in the batteries. But alas, you have to get use to these kind of lights, they're no marathon runners.

Expect them to run about 45 minutes at full brightness and 20 minutes of slowly diminishing brightness.

P.S. When you accedintally screwed on the tail all the way, and put it back in your pocket....didn't you feel your thigh get just a little bit warm? The E2e will get pretty damn warm in about 10-15 minutes of continuous use.
shocked.gif

Rifter

Enlightened
yeah you would think the heat would give it away. I know if i left my M2 w/P61 on in my pocket i would notice, about the time it melted through my jacket lol.

Ratso

Enlightened
The problem is that Lithium batteries have a flatter discharge rate meaning they don't lose voltage as much as Alaklines do when they are used up. Probably, by 2.7 volts, the battery already doesn't have enough capacity left to supply the current needed to the high drain bulb. Alaklines, on the other hand, would burn for 3-4 hours but the light would get dimmer and yellower after 45 - 60 minutes of use.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
A no load test will often yield results you described. Once the cell is put under a load, the voltage will drop enough not to power the light. You still may get some use out of those cells w/a KL1...
--dan

P.S. MOVED to Batteries...

Status
Not open for further replies.