New Preon II Ti Black questions

KarlMaldensNose

Newly Enlightened
I didn't include fact that I'm still a noob in the title b/c those never get answered, but I am. Sorry.:eek:

Anyway, just got the Ti Black edition and am a bit disappointed with a couple things. The loose tailcap issue is being dealt with in another thread. But there's also the bit of letdown I experienced when I clicked onto high mode for the first time. I had been reading about how 4Sevens' advertised lumen ratings are out-the-front, as opposed to, say, Fenix's lumen ratings, which are apparently at the emitter. I use Fenix as an example because I am comparing the Preon II to my older Fenix PD20, which has a max lumen output rating of 180. I've read (on this forum) that the difference is even as high as 40%. That seems a bit much, but still, there should be at least a little bit of a noticeable difference. But I'm finding that the Preon's high mode of 160 OTF lumens is only marginally brighter than the PD20's high (at emitter) of 96 lumens. And the PD20's turbo mode of 180 lumens completely blows away the Preon's 160. I'm completely stumped by this. Do batteries make a difference in the Preon II? I'm running the Duracell coppertops that came with it, and in the PD20 I have a Surefire CR123. Would li-ions make a difference in brightness?

By the way, I am aware of the subjective nature of my observations and perception of "brightness". I also understand that the Preon II beam has more flood and less throw than the PD20, which is somewhat affecting my perception of how much brighter the Fenix is. But still, even keeping those things in mind I still maintain that the Fenix is either much brighter than it ought to be or the Preon isn't as bright as it should be.

Can someone please school me on this? Thanks.

Enlightened
I'm pretty sure that this is due to the different beam profiles but I can't be positive because I don't have a PD20. One way to compare without looking at the beams is to do a ceiling bounce.

Mark

KenAnderson

Enlightened
KarlMaldensNose,

You may have noticed that the beam shape of the Preon II is different than that of your comparision lights. It's much larger bright spot consumes many lumens leaving a large area brightly lit, but not generating as bright of a hot spot.

Last edited:

shark_za

Enlightened
Firstly I think alkalines don't give the juice the Preon needs on high.
I personally would not run Li-ion(s) in a Preon 1 , in a 2 you will simply burn out the driver circuit.
L92 lithiums are ok though.
Good Low Self Discharge NiMh cells are my choice. Recyko and Duraloop in 2 cell and Hybrio/L92 in 1 cell setups.

It is all to do with the beam pattern. I have no doubt my exact Preon 2 Ti Black is putting out 160 lumens by the way it lights up a room on a ceiling bounce. Place it on the counter in a room pointing up and assess the overall effect.

Better than a L2T v2 rated at 150 lumens for sure.
Not as bright as a Quark AA^2 R2 or Fenix LD20/Q5 though.

I got a spare Ti Preon 1 body and have been swapping between 1 and 2 cell carry since I got it and worked out the niggles.

Looking directly at the hotspot will always deceive you. For example the hotspot of the Streamlight Microstream is visible inside the hotspot of the Preon2.
This is mega flood territory.

Intensity in one spot will always impress your eye more than overall output.
As people say, less than 10 years ago the only way I was getting this output was for 20 minutes in my Surefire with a P61 globe completely eating through 2x CR123's in the process. Now its available in a penlight on 2xAAA.

HKJ

Flashaholic
The brightness of Preon will directly follow battery voltage (The driver has no stabilization) and it has a current drain of nearly 1 amp. I.e. the battery with the highest voltage will be brightest.
Fenix lights are usual very well stabilized.

Fenix sometimes specifies OTF lumen, sometimes emitter lumen. If you want comparable values, you need to search some of the sphere threads, but I do not know if the lights has been checked.

Another way to compare lights, is to use a small room with white ceiling, shine the lights at ceiling and look how bright the room gets. This will reduce (but not remove) the effect of different beam profiles.

KarlMaldensNose

Newly Enlightened
That's great news about the L92 cells, as they're readily available. But how are they different than any other AA LI-ION cells? Maybe that's for another thread. I'm just grateful I might be able to amp up the output a bit more.

And for the record, I do love this little Preon II, despite the wonky tailcap.

HKJ

Flashaholic
That's great news about the L92 cells, as they're readily available. But how are they different than any other AA LI-ION cells? Maybe that's for another thread. I'm just grateful I might be able to amp up the output a bit more.

L92 are lithium cells not LiIon (3.7 volt) and they are 1.6 volt lithium, not 3 volt lithium.
But they cant keep the output voltage under load, a 1.2 volt NiMH has higher output voltage (But can not supply power for as long a time).