5-watt ARC-LSH

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think shiftd or rothrandir managed this trick. the 5 watter was underdriven if i remember correctly.

jtice

Flashaholic
Shiftd did it.
I forget what BB board he used. I THINK it was a BB750.
I plan on doing the same soon.
Alot of ppl said it would get way too hot.
Shiftd said it seemed to stablize after about 5 minutes.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well, it was shifty and me actually /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif (i designed and created the heatsink)
it was for a grey kit though, slightly different.

he's waiting to get a mclux 2-123 tail so he can drive it full.

i have similar plans in mind, with a couple twists /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I actually did my own LS3 using the old 2 piece head. The newer heads are just as easy to mod and probably easier to center the beam. If I can get my hands on a good 5W, I have an Arc LSH-P second that's dying to have a 5W installed in it. The home brewed LS3 below the L4 is driven at 667mA using a modified Arc circuit. No need to use the BB750, just use the Arc circuit and re-bias for whatever drive you want. Right now this is the smallest form factor for a 2x123-5W flashlight as you can see in the picture. The short albeit fat body of the Arc is easier to EDC than the longer thin tube of the L4. But I like them both.

fb6db059.jpg

L4 vs Home brewed Arc LS3

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
chamenos, thanks that did it. I fixed the original post.

CM

jtice

Flashaholic
CM...
Very nice work.
I plan on doing the same but with a mclux tail.
Yours is very professional looking, and goes together very well.

How is the Arc handling the heat?

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
jtice,

Can't take much credit. All I did was replace the LED and re-bias the circuit. Battery tube was a 2x123 from the LS3 production, it was an excess from production that Peter G sold to me. The Arc does get warm fast. I'd say it's similar to the L4 but I tend to run them both in short bursts so I can't really say how hot they get. The most is 3-4 minutes continuous at which point it's still not uncomfortable to hold.

CM

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
CM, nice work.

Would you say that the outputs are similar? Both brightness as well as beamshape? I ask because the L4 is driven at (either) 620 or 660 mah. PK mentioned both numbers to me but at separate times in different conversations, some of which were under the influence of Mai Tais...

Also I ask because your selfmade LS3 uses an optic (I presume?) while the L4 uses a small, deep reflector.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Mr Bulk (as I continue to bask in glory for doing very little work) As far as output, let me go into a dark closet with flat white ceilings, I'll be back...

Well mine eyes can't perceive a difference at all. The 5W in the Arc is a V3 which should be similar to the L4's as I heard somewhere here, though not directly from PK hisself and certainly not under the influence of Mai Tais, that Surefire uses V flux or higher. Beamshape is the typical "star-nuclear-cross" that you get when you mate a 5W with an NX05 optic. Not nearly as smooth as using a reflector. When Arc releases the LS5 next year, I think it will raise the bar again since it will be reflectorized and will be dimmable. Can't wait.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good job CM /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif . Dude, that is not a "very little work" IMHO. I also like the idea, really cool. Yea, the beam sux though, and got hotspot no brighter than a 1W /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif but it got such a big side spill.