Quark AA^2 tac moonlight question

WYlightGUY

Newly Enlightened
List,

I just received my XP-G NW tac (and a Mini) and they are beautiful. I like the design, workmanship and the tac programming options. My first program setup is to have the tac enter moonlight mode when the head is fully tightened.

Leaving the head tightened and pushing the tailcap button I get a bright "flash" and then moonlight mode takes over.

Question: Is this 'flash' normal operation?

This is not what I thought it would do....

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search for "preflash" on this site and you'll find a lot of answers. Basically it's a known problem with the Quark line, and 4sevens isn't the only manufacturer who's lights do it. There's generally a set of reproducible steps to it, so if you avoid doing those, your light won't do it.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's called pre-flash. Yes it's normal. No, there's nothing you can do about it. Some lights are more effected by it than others.

luv2pbal

Newly Enlightened
i get less preflash when i have my low mode with the head loosened.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
Not quite as simple as that I'm afraid - As J_G says, I think it probably varies a lot from unit to unit.

bjt3833

Newly Enlightened
The only time my turbo ever preflashes is if I turn the light off while it is in a high mode then change the light level to low while off. It will preflash when I turn it on next time. It will not preflash if I swap to low before I turn off the light tho.

I have also read I is possible to make a preflash by tapping the switch to just before it turns on a few times but I can't replicate that on mine.

SixM

Newly Enlightened
The only time my turbo ever preflashes is if I turn the light off while it is in a high mode then change the light level to low while off. It will preflash when I turn it on next time. It will not preflash if I swap to low before I turn off the light tho.

Mine works like this too, I have moonlight set to loose head. Turn it off in moon, back on in moon, no preflash for me.

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mine works like this too, I have moonlight set to loose head. Turn it off in moon, back on in moon, no preflash for me.

You guys have it good. In mine, even if I turn the torch off in moon mode it sometimes preflashes. Operative word there being "sometimes". Think it's time related, but I'm not really sure.

soli

Newly Enlightened
You guys have it good. In mine, even if I turn the torch off in moon mode it sometimes preflashes. Operative word there being "sometimes". Think it's time related, but I'm not really sure.

Mine sounds similar to yours, the longer it's off the more likely the preflash. It is a rather annoying problem which has prompted me to ditch the tactical head altogether. It'd rather click through multiple modes of the regular head when needed than deal with the preflash.