LGI w\ 2 AA's ?

biblefreak

Newly Enlightened
LGI w\\ 2 AA\'s ?

I should any day now be receiving an LGI classic. I was curious as to the possibility of putting this mod in a smaller legend, specifically the 2 AA model rather than the 3 AA setup that is was built on. Will it even work, or will it just put out less light? Or are the parts impossible to remove from the original case? All these questions!! I have been lurking here for awhile, but this is my first mod to have in hand. I hope to do more, I am thinking a MM+ as my firstr simple mod, then I may get an electronics book and learn myself a thing or two and then build my own!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/help.gif

LoneRebel

Enlightened
Re: LGI w\\ 2 AA\'s ?

The LGI classic is pretty much unremovable unless of course you want to swap emitters. And why on earth would you want to run it on 2 AA's? It would be very dim if it gave off any light at all. If you want a nice AA luxeon light buy a madmax or badboy from dat2zips sandwich shop and stick it in a brinkman legend AA. I suggest you just enjoy your LGI classic as it is a very nice light.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

Study the Classic's construction, then get yourself a Legend 2AA body and do the same thing except with a very LOW Vf 1W LD. You will essentially duplicate a Lambda Safety Illuminator (or the InreTech underdriven DD except not in a MiniMag).

You can then run this setup with lithium AA's (slightly brighter), or even three "N" batteries with a shim tube and small aluminum spacer plug to match the output of the regular LGI...

biblefreak

Newly Enlightened

As a matter of facy it just showed up in the mail 5 minutes ago!! Wow, this is a very nice light.The only reason I would want to run it on 2 AA's is so it would be shorter. Actually it was more a question of would it work than would I do it as I plan on getting the MM+ next. On another note, I am inr=terested in learning the technical side of building a light (and understanding electronics more in general), doeas anyone know of a good source to start at? Also, what is the difference in brightness between a MM+ and the LGI?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic

"...what is the difference in brightness between a MM+ and the LGI?"

The average LGI makes about 600+ lux at one meter, some have gone as high as 900+ with very special emitters. Although I have not handled nor tested the latest iterations of the MM/BB sandwiches, based on testing of earlier models I am of the opinion they produce output in the 350-400 lux range.