Let's Hear Your Thoughts on the New SUNWAYLED Lights

Vernon

Enlightened
Let's hear it! What are your thoughts and expectations of the Sunwayled's?

I'll kick us off: I couldn't sleep last night, so I read just about every word on the sunwayled sight. After much deliberation, I about pulled the trigger on the M40A mainly because of it's smaller size and the fact that I could feed it eneloops. It was in my shopping cart and I suddenly had a change of heart - I just couldn't say NO to the extra 130 lumens, the battery indicator, and the red/blue secondary lights on the M40C. So I went with my gut.

I'm pumped to see how this MCE light compares to the Legion II and the Eagletac M-series lights. It sure is beautiful online:

20100517012145178.jpg

20100520034847927.jpg

20100517012845605.jpg

Last edited:

Vernon

Enlightened
Good catch - I figured since it was locked we could kick off another one...

Admins: feel free to combine/shut down/edit if this doesn't work for you.

tolkaze

Enlightened
The M40C also caught my eye, will be looking forward to hearing your thoughts. Its almost like a SF Kroma and an ET M2SC4 had a love child and this is their freakish offspring! I can't wait

Colorblinded

Enlightened
Re: Let's Hear Your Thoughts on the New Sunwayled Lights

There's some info in this thread, although it got locked down
Yeah that made me twitch :sigh:

Anyway...

I'm very curious to see how these are, I won't deny a couple tempt me but I won't be buying anything in the near or moderate future.

someuser

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the head up on this brand of light. Looks like they are pretty good light for the money. The 1xcr123a light seems like the best value of the bunch.

brh

Newly Enlightened
So, just some curiosity… The aforementioned M40C has your normal bright Cree power LED for the white. And the red and blue are just around the perimeter of the bezel, correct? Wondering how these will perform (I know they're not supposed to perform like the MC-E, I'm mostly just curious what sort of a beam we'll get out of them, etc…)

Really bummed that the only (?) light using the MC-E RGBW is the Quark RGB. I know I'm in the minority, but I don't like the Quark UI, and while I have not tried the RGB, I can only imagine it would be even more trying than a normal Quark. I want a light with four buttons (buttons on the side like a laser pointer!) to control my RGB spectrum with PWM or whatever works. I guess this is because I use my flashlights for photography a lot…

Anyway when I first checked out the Sunway LED site, I got confused and thought this used the RGBW. But it doesn't, it's still a very interesting light, but I am curious about how the R/B modes will look…!

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm definitely keeping an eye on the Sunwayled line of lights and I'm anxious to read CPF member reviews of them. The M40A was the one that caught my eye immediately. It's like a more compact and lighter Fenix TK40.

Vernon and everyone else, please post your reviews and opinions of your new Sunwayled lights after they arrive! :popcorn:

HIDblue

Enlightened
Wonder how it'll compare to the EagleTac M2C4?

I'm really digging the little M10R, but I'm telling myself that I won't pull a rookie move and buy a light that hasn't been reviewed by a trusted CPF'er. So, the wait continues...:whistle:

tolkaze

Enlightened
My guess is that the R/B perimeter LED's in the M40C will be a floody mess of light that isn't real powerful. Probably good for reading a map, or "preserving night vision"

I am almost going to pull the trigger on one of these lights, but probably not the more expensive ones... no need for them just yet

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Sunwayleds seems to be the most interesting flashlights for long time. I have wanted 3AA and 4AA models and now Synwayled will release just the kind of models I searched for!
But while the AA-models have well spaced brightness modes the CR123 modes have too low mid modes. 6 and 9,5 times difference between the mid and high are way too big differences in my opinion.

I am looking forward to read the reviews! :popcorn:

Last edited:

yowzer

Enlightened
If the M40C works as advertised with things like the low-voltage warning and output figures, it'll be a very nice light. The similar form-factor Eagletac M2 lights still win via having an neutral-white option, though. Can't wait for reviews... been lusting over a big-output light and every time I think I find the right one, something new comes down the line that sounds better in many respects.

I could do without the blue or red lights, but at least it isn't yet another annoying useless strobe or SOS mode.

Vernon

Enlightened
So, just some curiosity… The aforementioned M40C has your normal bright Cree power LED for the white. And the red and blue are just around the perimeter of the bezel, correct? Wondering how these will perform (I know they're not supposed to perform like the MC-E, I'm mostly just curious what sort of a beam we'll get out of them, etc…)

I'm assuming the red/blue led's that line the bezel will produce a beam very similar to what we see with the Kroma. There are a total of 12 (5mm?) led's so we'll probably see six red and six blue respectively. We're only talking about 10 total lumens for the red/blue led's. For context, Surefire rates the Kroma blue at 3.4 lumens and the red at 6.3.

Nanomiser

Enlightened
I have always liked the multi-colored SF Kroma, but it just doesn't deliver the lumens, especially for $350. This light looks like a great buy for the performance.:thumbsup:

I'm having a tough time not pulling the trigger on this one myself. :eek:oo:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
My guess is that the R/B perimeter LED's in the M40C will be a floody mess of light that isn't real powerful. Probably good for reading a map, or "preserving night vision"

Precisely. They don't throw much at all; they're for MAP reading, cockpit illumination, etc...

tolkaze

Enlightened
Good, review, and really good regulation in high... not a great amount of runtime, but I guess that really depends on actual output of the light. Nearly 9 hours on medium sounds good.

Tactile feedback on the magnetic ring sounds good!

Would love to see some beamshot comparisons