Best Front Pocket EDC w/clip?

Zatx Woopyoax

Newly Enlightened
Today I ordered my first torch.. the Nitecore D10 SP R2 w/clip. Bought it before doing any research on these forums just based on the spec sheet.

I agree not the best way to make a purchase.

Now that it is in the mail to me I thought I would make the post I should have made before the purchase.

What do you guys consider to be the best front pocket everyday carry light with a clip?

I know that is pretty vague, but I'm new so don't have a preference of light output, runtime, cost, etc.

I just want something that is comfortable and will work when I press the button.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

lovenhim

Enlightened
Well these two lights are not a clicky light and I own one of them, the other is also highly loved around here. The Fenix LD01 (which I own) and the ITP A2 EOS are great lights. Also check out the 4Sevens Preon 1. I own the Preon 2 and I love it, the Preon 1 is smaller and not as bright.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
welcome to CPF!

you made a really good choice especially when not doing any research first. im quite surprise actually, most people wouldnt spend that kind of money on a light, let alone spend that much on a light without research.

i have an older model d10, and although i dont use it much, i wouldnt think about selling it. AA lights will always be useful.

and the word "best" is hard to define, it would depend on what the individual user is looking for in a light. the d10 i would say is definitely one of the best single AA llights.

personally, i prefer single cr123a lights for pocket edc

Zatx Woopyoax

Newly Enlightened
welcome to CPF!

you made a really good choice especially when not doing any research first. im quite surprise actually, most people wouldnt spend that kind of money on a light, let alone spend that much on a light without research.

I have experience with Acquisition Disorders. I collect Seiko Automatic Watches, Spyderco Knives, and Double Edge Safety Razors and all the tools that go along with wet shaving.

I know that normally you get what you pay for and more $$$ normally means better quality (but not always obviously).

:whistle:

lovenhim

Enlightened
I have experience with Acquisition Disorders. I collect Seiko Automatic Watches, Spyderco Knives, and Double Edge Safety Razors and all the tools that go along with wet shaving.

I know that normally you get what you pay for and more $$$ normally means better quality (but not always obviously).

:whistle:

You collect wet shaving gear? I do to, well in a way. I do not collect for the sake of stuff just sitting around, but rather I use the few that I have. I can say this, I will never go back to canned goo or multi blade, or electric shavers again. I know this is not the place to talk about it, but I get it. :)

entoptics

Enlightened
You managed to "accidentally" get pretty close to the ideal EDC light with the D10.

:welcome:

AA batteries are perfect for EDC lights in many ways, and the D10 is one of the smallest "bright" single AA EDC lights (>100 OTF lumens).

It also has a superb clip (although it's not reversible), a nice dim low mode, good runtimes, and easy UI.

Many folks do not like the piston drive at first, because it's very stiff compared to most clicky switches. Clean and lube it properly (with a light teflon based lube), then give yourself a little while to get used to it. It will very likely grow on you.

If you are still interested in purchasing another EDC light after you've used the D10 for a few days, the most popular other choices around here in its price range are...

All of these are a little bigger than the D10 except the EOS A2.
1) 4Sevens Quark AA - Excellent size to power ratio, good UI with plenty of options.
2) JetBeam (never can remember which is the single AA version)
3) Fenix LD10. Very bright, but low mode is not dim enough for many users.
4) iTP EOS A2 - twisty UI bothers some folks. Very small with decent brightness and runtimes.
5) Others?

There are a number of other excellent single AA lights, but I consider the JetBeams and Fenix LD10 to be pushing the large side for a pocket EDC, and most other single AA, "bright" lights are even larger.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've not owned a D10 but i have and still own a Nitecore EX10 R2 i like Nitecore's clips as they enable you to carry the light very discreetly in office trousers.

I've retired my EX10 right now as the piston drive is givin me a bit of grief and am EDC-ing my Quark MiNi 123 (neutral white) on a P7 suspension clip which makes it even more discreet to carry.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
i've not owned a D10 but i have and still own a Nitecore EX10 R2 i like Nitecore's clips as they enable you to carry the light very discreetly in office trousers.

I've retired my EX10 right now as the piston drive is givin me a bit of grief and am EDC-ing my Quark MiNi 123 (neutral white) on a P7 suspension clip which makes it even more discreet to carry.
+1
Had the d10 as a edc for a year maby. Now im carrying the neutral mini aa (old xp-e version) with a p7 clip. I just love the quark mini + p7 clip combo:twothumbs So small and discreet. Its a pocket monster if you feed it with 14500's

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd say my personal favorite is the Jetbeam Jet-I Pro if we are talking AA/14500, actually even forgetting the battery type it's my favorite period. I like the Zebralight SC50 and Quark AA tactical as runner up's.

For CR123 I like the Surefire E1B, RRT-0, PD20 there is actually a lot in the cr123 category I really like. Still though the Jet-I Pro is my favorite, great throw usable spill, slim design, nice build and great UI.

I've always collected different versions of the Nitecore PD light's but I could never get use to them.

sappyg

Enlightened
i like the size of the D10 but i stopped carring it b/c of the UI. it would activate in my pocket. so... i got a clip for it thinking this would solve my problem. it did'nt.

i don't know what 'best' is but a nice light that i never seem to be w/o lately is the preon I/ II. i normally clip it in my front pocket and i hardly notice it until i need it.

enjoy your new D10 :welcome:

Pericles

Newly Enlightened
I have several of the lights that have been mentioned (or earlier versions of them) but most frequently carry a Zebralight SC50w.
It is a single AA light with a solid clip. It offers five light levels from < 1 lumen to 100 +/- lumens plus strobe. It does tend to turn on in the pocket, but that is easily dealt with by cracking the tail cap a bit (lock out tail cap).
It will work with 14500 cells (bright as can be), but only if you can get the tail cap all the way down. The 14500s tend to be a bit longer than the AAs, so it can be a tight squeeze.
It's worth a look.

Terry

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Best for me so far is the LF2XT, however I normally just drop in my pant's pocket. It does clip nicely in a shirt pocket. The wire type clip could be stronger.

Geoff

entoptics

Enlightened
Just occurred to me.

Woopyoax, do you mean front pants or front shirt pocket? I suppose that will strongly influence the decision.

Nitecore is a good pants pocket light. Slimmer lights will be better for the shirt pocket (Preon, Stylus, etc).

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC'd a D10 for about a year too, with no problems at all. I finally went for something smaller (Quark Mini 123) but the D10 has served me very well.

Seiko watches eh? I'm a G-Shock fan myself, but the Seiko 'black monster' is a keeper.

Zatx Woopyoax

Newly Enlightened
I EDC'd a D10 for about a year too, with no problems at all. I finally went for something smaller (Quark Mini 123) but the D10 has served me very well.

I've been looking at that Mini 123. Is there a way to put a deep carry pocket clip on it and make it clicky activated?