Thoughts on the New Overready M2-50?

Noctis

Enlightened
I doubt anyone got this module yet, but I wonder if anyone has any thoughts about it?

The only "high powered" modules I own are Nailbender's work. A regulated single mode SST-50 and an SST-90 single-mode direct drive.

The SST-50 is perfect for every day use and throws pretty far in its own right. The SST-90 is noticeably brighter, though most of the increased light seems to go into the spill. The 90 seems to go farther due to the raw lumens being poured out.

The SST-90 in direct drive draws about 4.2A from a fresh IMR 18650 cell and the hotspot is clearly visible when shining it directly down on the streets, from 23 floors up. Shining it further(say, in a parking lot about 2 streets away) the beam will fade away due to the ambient light.

With the M2-50, I'd expect most of the light to be focused into the hotspot, along with the larger reflector, the throw should go even further. The reflector probably won't be as deep as a D36 reflector, but the raw power ought to make up for that.

The heatsink is going to be what places this module far above the other SST series modules with their hollow brass pills. Also, the ability to use a high powered setup with AW's Li-Co 18650 2600mAh ought to give more runtime and less sag as opposed to an IMR 18650.

The choice of an SST-50 emitter rather than an SST-90 left me slightly disappointing simply because the 90 seems to give off more lumens at the same drive current and would be more flexible to different battery types. Though the SST-90 has a notorious reputation of having the dome pop off at the slightest shock, so perhaps it's a good thing. It's also nice to have a little variety since having 2 high powered flood modules would kind of defeat the purpose.

If I had any gripe at all, it would be that the buyer doesn't get a full choice of finishes on the M2 bezel. Being a pragmatist, the cerakote coating appeals to me mainly because of the extra protection it would provide, as my Z41 tailcap with Type II anodizing is worn down heavily thanks to a close encounter with my keys. And so it would be kind of tough to imagine what to do about an old M2-50 that's been worn down. Recoating it could be a tough endeavor since the Bezel and module is one piece.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
darn, haven't been surfing much and haven't even heard of this module, could you provide a link by any chance?

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I missed the sale of the M2-50 and my wallet is glad I was asleep the time they came up... :rolleyes:

Well, it's only postponed I guess, yesterday I got my Triple (cool white) and was overwhelmed. The beam is mainly flood (I didn't do an outdoor test yet), a huge blindingly bright hotspot with perhaps some spill around, difficult to say as it is so bright (I use it on 2 cells)! :cool:

So, I would be very interested in an M2-50 and the differences to the Triple. I suppose it has a tighter and brighter hotspot, some well-lit spill and more throw than the Triple, without being a thrower. While I preffered the Triple in cool white, which is pure white and no hint of green whatsoever, I just love the 4500K-SST50. I consider that tint as neutral AND white, which means that it is white (and not colored like most Crees), but on the warmer side.

The brightest I have by now is the Nailbender as well, should have around 500 to 600 Lumen and is impressive, the M2-50 doubles that value and I guess that will be a killer beam for a single-cell light!!! :crazy:

non

Newly Enlightened
I think.... I can't wait until mine arrives.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that I am massively PO'd that I missed the sale. This look like EXACTLY what I want. Don't even know when they went on sale, buit I am pretty sure I was out of the country at the moment.

I am seriously hoping that another run comes out VERY soon.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I'll check back in when mine arrives. Oveready is a great website to deal with too.

Noctis

Enlightened
I think that I am massively PO'd that I missed the sale. This look like EXACTLY what I want. Don't even know when they went on sale, buit I am pretty sure I was out of the country at the moment.

I am seriously hoping that another run comes out VERY soon.
I would think there would be quite a few more of these being made, otherwise it would be an enormous waste of time to make the turnkey bodies available.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would think there would be quite a few more of these being made, otherwise it would be an enormous waste of time to make the turnkey bodies available.

Agreed, of course. I just want more to be available RIGHT NOW, you see, because I am an impatient child when it comes to wanting the new light I want any any given moment. I recognize that I have a problem, but I am powerless over it. I'm on the mailing list, but I wish there was a back in stock notification like on some other websites.

sfca

Enlightened
Hopefully there will be a lower powered clicky version in the farther future. An XP-G would do as well. Don't get me started on TIR lol...

Noctis

Enlightened
Agreed, of course. I just want more to be available RIGHT NOW, you see, because I am an impatient child when it comes to wanting the new light I want any any given moment. I recognize that I have a problem, but I am powerless over it. I'm on the mailing list, but I wish there was a back in stock notification like on some other websites.
I know the feeling :devil:.

Though personally I think you have a better chance of getting one when there isn't a back in stock notification, depending on whether or not you have net access with your phone.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Just fired up my new M2-50. Perfect color and very nice hotspot. Its focused to a narrower beam than my Nailbender sst-50 regulated 3 mode d26. Of course its much brighter too since it is unregulated. The M2-50 is my brightest flashlight. I'll try the regulated moddoo triple later and let you know if the M2-50 retains its title. I wish I could measure the lux at 1 m.
The regulated 3 mode nailbender drop in will still get much more use because of its low modes.
I'd like to try one of those tailcaps that controls output to artificially create lower modes but this beast probably pulls too many amps.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Just fired up my new M2-50 with 1 X AW 18650 protected 2600maH battery. Perfect color and very nice hotspot. Its focused to a little narrower beam than my Nailbender sst-50 regulated 3 mode d26. Of course its much brighter too since it is unregulated. I'd still classify both as mostly flood but they throw much further than the triple R5 as expected.

The M2-50 is my brightest flashlight. I wish I could measure the lux at 1 m.
The regulated 3 mode nailbender drop in will still get much more use because of its low modes.
I'd like to try one of those tailcaps that controls output to artificially create lower modes but this beast probably pulls too many amps.

Using the probes from my Fluke multimeter the amps at the tailcap measure 3.09 amps. I hope the special low resistance tailcap is pulling more. Is that possible?

Last edited:

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the initial thoughts. If you find yourself just not using it because of that Nailbender's extra modes....don't be shy about shooting me a PM to get rid of it!! Just kidding, I'm sure it will find tons of use.

Enjoy it!

recDNA

Flashaholic
I just tried the regulated triple XP-G with 2 X IMR18650. To my eyes the M2-50 looks much brighter but of course they have such different beam profiles it's hard to compare. It will be interesting to see which puts out the most OTF lumens...but since the SST-50 is unreg I'm guessing it will win the contest.

The triple R5 is perfect for lighting up a room or an area you are working on - like a flat tire at night or someting. As others have said pure flood.

It is a very nice flood beam.

non

Newly Enlightened
Received my M2-50 yesterday. I took it to the roof of the 18 story hotel I work at and it made a nice searchlight type beam on the ground. Walking the dog last night it light up an entire field of trees with the most pleasing neutral light.
I am super impressed and the M2 size is not as cumbersome as I thought when I ordered. I think it looks fine with the 6p body. Get One!

mfrey

Enlightened
Alright, you guys have until my bedtime tonight to post some beamshots. :popcorn: