malkoff turn key md2 hi/lo not working

Unclemonkey

Newly Enlightened
Hey everyone, I got my md2 m61 on saturday. I played with it no more than 3 minutes and went to bed because I got home late that night. The next day I went to turn it on and nothing. I had it locked out and even tested batteries, 3.04v each. I tried tightening the switch? Any ideas? I did contact Gene and I'm patiently awaiting his response. Just thought I'd get someones opinion while I wait.

thanks.:thinking:

jellydonut

Enlightened
Well, the thing functions by way of the little plunger on it that is pressed down when you tighten the head. I guess you could check to see something happened to it. If it were to be stuck in its depressed position I suppose the light would be stuck on high.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try removing the tail switch and shorting the bottom of the battery to the body with a paper clip or something similarly conductive. If it lights up, the tail switch is your problem, and it's not uncommon. Kroll switches require a little fiddling sometimes.

Reaper

Enlightened
I have, I believe, a newer model of the MD2 that incorporates a wire type resistor instead of the plunger style for the Hi/low function. There was a post here somewhere that mentions that this wire could be slightly bent down thereby not functioning. Simple remedy was to CAREFULLY bend it back up to make contact with the ring. However since your MD2 is new, this shouldn't be your problem. I've had mine for a while and it's always worked trouble free though there is the ever present little wire indent line in the ring. Never fear, Gene will make it right.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Try taking out the switch and clean the threads. Also do try the paperclip trick the OP mentioned. If none of that helps then it must be the drop-in - pretty rare event but always possible.

Gene will sort it out in short order regardless.

James...:)

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
And make sure the 2-stage switch/retaining ring is snugged against the drop-in.

dss_777

Enlightened
I have, I believe, a newer model of the MD2 that incorporates a wire type resistor instead of the plunger style for the Hi/low function. There was a post here somewhere that mentions that this wire could be slightly bent down thereby not functioning. Simple remedy was to CAREFULLY bend it back up to make contact with the ring. However since your MD2 is new, this shouldn't be your problem. I've had mine for a while and it's always worked trouble free though there is the ever present little wire indent line in the ring. Never fear, Gene will make it right.

Actually, I think the plunger style is the newer one, as the latest MD2's and MD3 Wildcats come with that style high/low switch. Regardless, Malkoff's customer service is indeed superb.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
If its not too late, before you monkey around with the switch, Take the head off and make sure that the retaining collar that holds the module in place as well as provide the 2 mode function is tight. They can loosen up, especially if someone is playing with the hi/low mode by switching it back and forth a lot. There should be two indentations in the collar that needle nose or snap ring pliers fit into and snug it up. Do not try to torque it down super tight, but it should be a good snug fit.

Try that first before you pull the switch apart. I don't know if Gene is switching to the McGizmo switch on this unit yet because the Judco switch fits right in there. The McGizmo McCllicky is supposed to be going into the new MD3 and MD4 unit's tail caps as a drop in replacement.

Sometimes simply rotating the switch inside the tail cap assembly a half turn one way or the other makes switch contact issues go away. Usually loosening it up first and then just gently snugging it in, definitely not too tight on that. Keep us posted.

Unclemonkey

Newly Enlightened
If its not too late, before you monkey around with the switch, Take the head off and make sure that the retaining collar that holds the module in place as well as provide the 2 mode function is tight. They can loosen up, especially if someone is playing with the hi/low mode by switching it back and forth a lot. There should be two indentations in the collar that needle nose or snap ring pliers fit into and snug it up. Do not try to torque it down super tight, but it should be a good snug fit.

Try that first before you pull the switch apart. I don't know if Gene is switching to the McGizmo switch on this unit yet because the Judco switch fits right in there. The McGizmo McCllicky is supposed to be going into the new MD3 and MD4 unit's tail caps as a drop in replacement.

Sometimes simply rotating the switch inside the tail cap assembly a half turn one way or the other makes switch contact issues go away. Usually loosening it up first and then just gently snugging it in, definitely not too tight on that. Keep us posted.

Hey, Thanks Gman and guys....oh and James. I contacted Gene and he did mention testing the drop-in which I did and it worked. I put it back into the head and tried and it didn't work. I did find some sticky pink substance kinda like(bubble gum)on the threads of the switch and the head, which I removed most of it. I then put the switch back in making sure not to tighten too tight. It works! I sent Gene a e-mail Letting him know. Hope this works. I'll keep ya'll posted. Thanks for all your insight.lovecpf