Gesture controlled flashlight

sosemot728

Enlightened
I've just had a random thought, I am not entirely sure of the details yet. All I know is that technically it is possible.

What about about a flashlight, whose function are entirely controlled by movement or gestures? (Using a small accelerometer)

i.e. Shake twice to turn on. Rotate, while vertical to increase/decrease brightness. Shake three times to turn off.

What are your thoughts? What would be some appropriate 'gestures?'

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
The mag XL100 does the brightness control. But I'd hate for my flashlight to cut off while I'm running, jogging, or of I drop it a few inches.

Flashlites R Us

Newly Enlightened
What would be some appropriate 'gestures?'

That would depend on the situation at hand............
naughty.gif

sosemot728

Enlightened
The mag XL100 does the brightness control. But I'd hate for my flashlight to cut off while I'm running, jogging, or of I drop it a few inches.

I am assuming the control system would be able to differentiate between bumps and knocks. (something like the iPhone's 'shake to shuffle' thing)

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've just had a random thought, I am not entirely sure of the details yet. All I know is that technically it is possible.

What about about a flashlight, whose function are entirely controlled by movement or gestures? (Using a small accelerometer)

i.e. Shake twice to turn on. Rotate, while vertical to increase/decrease brightness. Shake three times to turn off.

You should probably patent that idea just in case it takes off and you lose millions.

Umm..forget what I just said, I'll do it.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat idea but I imagine that before you know it, Mag Instrument's lawyers will be knocking on your door. It has happened before to other flashlight companies.

sosemot728

Enlightened
You should probably patent that idea just in case it takes off and you lose millions.

Umm..forget what I just said, I'll do it.

I don't think its worth patenting, there would be more value in creating a product around the functionality.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would have to be a very simple interface, as most people have hard time enough with 2 mode flashlights. I would prefer a regular interface with detectors so the flashlight goes automatically in high mode or beacon when it falls, so you can find it all the way down the cliff... but not for a two feet drop where it could blind you.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat idea but I imagine that before you know it, Mag Instrument's lawyers will be knocking on your door. It has happened before to other flashlight companies.
naw, than wii, and apple lawers should be on mag's door steps by now.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast

possible, take apart wii remote, it has accelerometer, the rest is programable control circuit,

Latest posts