Fenix TK12 R5 Beam Problems ?

DonK

Enlightened
I recently purchased a TK12 R5 light as an upgrade to my TK10. The TK12 came with a smooth reflector.

The problem is that the new TK12 throuws a beam that has a dim center with a bright ring around it. I find this very distracting.

I read somewhere that some TK12 R5 models had this defect, but some were OK. Anyone know if the 'defective' ones are out of the system yet

Thanks

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
I don't know if its "out of the system", but I would just return it. For me, this problem usually occurs if the reflector is unscrewed a bit and is pulled farther away from the LED/heatsink. At least this is the case for P60 modules. Since the tk12 accepts P60 modules, I assume this is the same problem. Try tightening the reflector so it is closer the the LED. If that doesn't work, then I would return it. Or buy a new smooth P60 reflector. If that doesn't work, buy an orange peel reflector and wash out the donut hole. Or if you really want to, buy a new R5 P60 drop in.

Ray_of_Light

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought a TK12 and I found the same exact problem with the beam. I believe it to be a "feature" of the R4-R5 LEDs with medium-deep smooth reflectors.

The same R5 LED in my Olight M20-R5, which has a deeper MOP reflector, projects an almost perfect beam on a white wall, but is less throwy for sure.

Anthony

Duglum

Newly Enlightened
Can't observe that behaviour on my TK12 R5. It has a beautiful hotspot and spill, at least for a SMO Reflector. No dark spots etc. The only drawback is the slightly greenish tint mine has.

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
A lot of the lights with the XP-G LED have this issue (R5 is the bin, not the LED). An OP reflector solves the issue. I don't know if yours is worse than others. Post a picture of it on a white wall.

DonK

Enlightened
At least there is no green tint to mine. Not sure I have a white wall, but will try to get a pic on a light colored beige wall.

I suppose the contrast in the beam could be worse, but it is noticeable and distracting to me.

I'll see if I can figure out how to tighten the refelector

DonK

Enlightened
OK, I just took a pic of the beam on a pink wall at about 5 or 6 feet. The dark area in the middle looked much more prominent to the eye than it does in this pic, but I think the pic shows it somewhat.

Last edited:

DonK

Enlightened
Managed it

utk12beamshot3.jpg

Zatoichi

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't see it in that photo. It may be because I'm colourblind. I do have the problem you describe with my Jetbeam III M, smooth reflector though. It's quite annoying. I was prepared to try to sort mine out with an OP or hybrid reflector but didn't have the option. :(

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
DonK, I downloaded your image and posterize it. Here is a resized and posterized picture to (hopefully) show the "donut hole". The arrows point to the darker center hole and the brighter ring.
utk12beamshot_posterized.jpg

this is quite normal for XP-G with SMO reflector in lights that I've seen. however, this can be manually adjusted away for some lights, but i guess it's too much trouble for mass production. :whistle:

DonK

Enlightened
The contrast difference is much more visible in person, the camera just did not pick it up too well. If I'm outside looking around grass, woods etc it is still very evident.

I want to mount on AR15 so a bright center (in the sights) would be useful.

I purchased from Amazon and they are sending a replacement. I will compare them side by side and see if it is an improvement. Some people say they have good ones, some bad

rookiedaddy

Enlightened
The contrast difference is much more visible in person, the camera just did not pick it up too well. If I'm outside looking around grass, woods etc it is still very evident.
Agreed. In my experience, the donut hole is more visible when shining from > 10m away.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
All the Q5 and R2 lights I have with a smooth reflector have a bit darker center to the hot spot with a brighter ring around them. If I change to a Orange peel reflector this phenomenon goes away. I don't have any XP-G lights but from what I understand the bright ring around the hot spot is a little worse. All of this is of course on a white wall. I think you will find that outside the light performs excellent.

Bill

DonK

Enlightened
I have heard some say that their TK12 has an OP refelector. Mine is certainly smooth.

It is visible when scanning outside in the dark - even several hundred yards away. Will see how different the replacement is.

I like the TK12 in that it has a much wider and brighter spill than the TK10 - but the dark hole just kills my joy