Zebralight SC30 - pocket EDC light - a layman's perspective

HIDblue

Enlightened
I'm always on the look out for a new pocket EDC light. I'm partial towards the 1xRCR123 form factor with a clickie. The Zebralight SC30 caught my eye for several reasons, including it's miniscule size, output (193 lumens OTF claimed), form factor (1xRCR123), unusual side-clickie activation, and the fact that a ton of people seem to rave about the Zebralight line of headlamps.

So, after researching the crap out of it on CPF, I finally pulled the trigger on the Zebralight SC30 flashlight and bought it from going gear with the CPF discount. I chose the cool tint, but the SC30 is also offered in a neutral (warm) tint as the SC30W with reduced output (193 lumens cool v. 161 lumens neutral on high).

The packaging includes the Zebralight SC30 light, a headband, and a flexible silicone holder, but no spare O-rings which I thought was kinda odd.

The packaging states that it only accepts primary CR123A batteries, but Zebralight's website claims that the SC30 is also compatible with rechargable RCR123s as well with reduced run-times. I'm partial to the RCR123 form factor for guilt-free light use.

POSITIVES:

First off, the SC30 is small. Take a look at the photo and you'll see how small it is compared to a primary CR123A battery. The size is even more remarkable given that it's actually operated by a clickie, and a side-body-mounted clickie at that. Needless to say, this thing basically disappears in your pocket.

Fit and finish on the SC30 is pretty impressive. I could not find any defects or flaws at all. I kinda thought, incorrectly, that this light would feel cheap and flimsy, but quite the opposite. It's got a nice heft to it and the position of the side clickie and the pocket clip make it fit nicely in the hand. The bezel-down, removable pocket clip feels very sturdy and is completely stable since it is screwed into the side of the body, which also prevents the light from rolling away from you on flat surfaces.

The side-mounted-clickie is pretty unusual. It's not your standard forward or reverse clickie, but rather what Zebralight calls an "electronic soft-touch switch." There's no momentary on/off, and the actual feel of the soft-switch is more like a half click, if that makes sense. In other words, it doesn't take much effort to turn the light on/off which could be a concern for pocket EDC, but luckily, the threads are anodized so the SC30 is capable of tail lock out with the slightest counter-clockwise turn of the tail cap.

I'm so used to tail mounted clickies that I wasn't sure about the SC30's body-mounted-side-clickie, but it feels surprisingly natural in the hand.

The UI took a little while to get used to, but is actually pretty intuitive once you get accustomed to it. Basically, you can turn the light on to whatever setting you desire (high, med or low) right from the get go by using the clickie/soft-switch.
  • A single click from off always turns the light on high; a double click from off turns it on at a medium setting; and a triple click from off turns the light on low setting.
  • At each output level, a quick double click will reduce the output slightly. So, there are actually 6 output levels in total.
  • If you press and hold the switch, it will cycle through low-medium-high continuously until you release the switch.
  • If you single click the switch to high, another quick press will give you medium, and another quick press will give you the low setting.
  • And the SC30 has the lowest low setting I've ever seen at .4 lumens. It's actually kind of cool to see the LED basically glowing at that setting.
The SC30 also doubles as a very versatile headlamp with the included silicone holder and headband, and since the tailcap is completely flat, the SC30 is capable of very stable tail standing.

And the thing is waterproof to IPX8 (whatever IPX8 means).

NEGATIVES:

Not everything is perfect with the SC30, there is the dreaded parasitic drain which Zebralight actually lists on their website. Zebralight claims that battery shelf-life is still expected to last over 3 years even with the parasitic drain.

There is no momentary on/off with the soft-touch switch, and the soft-touch switch lends itself to accidental activation (which can be prevented by the tail lockout).

I also found there is a slight delay from the moment I activate the soft-touch switch to when the light actually comes on, and the same happens when you turn the light off.

The heatsinking fins are a little on the sharp side. Not much of a concern for daily use, but I could see problems with it if you're constantly taking the light in/out of the silicone holder for headlamp use which could cause the silicone holder to weaken/tear at the point it passes the fins and the pocket clip.

BEAM:

And finally, a beamshot on high. The OP reflector smoothes out the beam pretty nicely, i.e. no rings, with a nice hotspot and good spill. Not sure, but my eyes seem to find the beam to be on the cool side, but it's definitely not the super-blue cool tint that I thought it would be. Up close, there is also a donut hole pattern to the beam that disappears once you're 3 inches or so away from a white-wall. So, for everyday use, you'll never even notice it.

OVERALL IMPRESSIONS:

In a nutshell, the SC30 is a great little pocket EDC light. It's not the smallest and it's not the brightest pocket EDC light around, but it does do a lot of things really well such as the intuitive UI, the unusual but user-friendly side-mounted soft-switch, ability to be used as a headlamp, its size, quality construction, etc. So, I think the positives outweigh the negatives.

Is it the perfect pocket EDC light? Nothing's perfect, but in my humble opinion, the Zebralight SC30 is a serious contender. And if given the option, I'd definitely buy the SC30 again.

Durability and reliability will have to be seen, but my initial impressions of the SC30 are all pretty positive. :thumbsup:

ZEBRALIGHT SC30 STATS (from Zebralight's website):

LED: Cree XP-E Cool White (color temperature 5700-6350 K)

Light Output
  • High: 193 Lumens (0.9 hrs) or 105 Lumens (2 hrs)
  • Medium: 38 Lumens (12 hrs) or 21 Lumens (23 hrs)
  • Low: 4 Lumens (3.7 days) or 0.4 Lumens (21 days)
  • Light output are out the front (OTF) values. Runtime tests are done using Panasonic CR123A lithium batteries. Runtimes are usually much shorter with rechargeable RCR123 (16340) batteries, especially with protected 16340s that have higher discharge cut off voltage.
Battery: One CR123A lithium primary or RCR123 Li-ion rechargeable.

Battery Shelf Life: Over 3 years under parasitic drain
  • 76° spill beam spread
  • 8.6° (3 feet at 20 feet) hot spot
Dimensions
  • Diameter: 0.85 inch (22 mm)
  • Length: 2.60 inch (67 mm)
Weight
  • 1.1 oz (30.5 gram) with clip, without battery or headband
Features
  • Electronic soft-touch switch, with a 200,000 cycle operating life
  • Smart user interface provides fast and easy access to all brightness levels
  • Precision machined casing from premium grade Alcoa aluminum bar stock
  • Proprietary heat sinking design bonds the LED metal core board directly to the uni-body aluminum casing, providing unblocked thermal paths to over 92% of the surface area.
  • Durable natural hard anodized finish (Type III Class I)
  • SCHOTT ultra clear lens with anti-reflection coatings on both sides
  • Bezel down clip (pre-installed)
  • Can be used as a headlamp with the included headband (clip can remain installed when the light is on the headband)
  • Orange peel textured reflector
  • Anti-roll and tail-stand capable
  • Battery power can be locked out by slightly unscrewing the tailcap to prevent unwanted activations
  • Waterproof to IPX8

Last edited:

uknewbie

Banned
Quality review and nice pictures.

I currently only have the H501 from Zebralight, which I thik is fantastic. Think I will have to get me one of these too! :)

kaptain_zero

Enlightened
Great review... I've been eyeballing this one. Regarding the parasitic drain... doesn't locking it out by loosening the tail cap prevent that?!?!?! I'm thinking that's what I'd do if I was tossing it in the glove compartment or if I'm storing it for a while.

Regards

Christian

HIDblue

Enlightened
:thanks: Thanks everyone.

kaptain_zero, I think you're right about the tail cap lockout preventing the parasitic drain.

Zebralight lists the following in their description of the SC30:

"Battery power can be locked out by slightly unscrewing the tailcap to prevent unwanted activations'"

I'm assuming this would also take care of the parasitic drain as well if it disconnects the battery power, but anyone correct me if I'm wrong...

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great review HIDblue, why haven't I seen it earlier?

I ordered an SC30 for my wife and it arrived yesterday. Curiously, those are my second Zebralight that come in cardboard boxes (first were the H31 & SC50w a few months ago). Yours clearly has the plastic box I know from earlier purchases, I always ordered directly at Zebralight. It's odd, but I don't care, the cardboard box is nice and protects the light well. I'd just recommend Zebralight to give a few more informations about the light on the box, they even don't say what cell the light takes, it seems they are sure the lights that come in those boxes go to CPFers! :poke:

You are right, the light is very small and the finish is excellent. The missing o-rings are a mystery for me, I also got an SC60 and that one comes with 2 o-rings and without a holder (I don't need one personnally, I use the H-models on my head).

An electronic switch always has a little delay, I couldn't detect anything unusual here, it just takes longer if you start the light on Low. The new UI is much better than the old one, the light always begins to cycle at Low, so if you want to go from Med to Low, you don't have to be blinded by High. It's also very nice to have two different levels for each mode and that the memorization works! :D

The clip is nice, but I guess the lights are assembled by tiny chineese women, on my three lights I tightened the clip, the screws can be tightened easily 1/8th of a turn, perhaps more. The clip get tighter by doing this and, more important, you won't loose it anymore. You may take them out and add Loctite as well.

The beam is really nice and floody, as we're used from Zebralights, they are no throwers. My wife will get the cutie for her birthday in two weeks! :party:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
One thing you forgot to mention in your review. You don't have to push the button 3 times to get low from off.

When the light is off, push and hold the button for 1/2 second and you get low.
When the light is off, push and immediatly release and you get high.
When the light is off, 2 fast clicks and you get medium.

Also, the light has memory. It will remember which of the two brightness levels you choose for high, medium, and low settings.

Mine came with 2 spare O-rings (as each of my zebralights has).

The parasitic drain is really a non issue since there is so little drain. You only have to worry if you are not going to use it for 3 years - your battery would then be dead.

It is a great light. I love the UI. It is one of the only lights I own where my wife can pick it up and use it without directions from me.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine came with 2 spare O-rings (as each of my zebralights has).

The parasitic drain is really a non issue since there is so little drain. You only have to worry if you are not going to use it for 3 years - your battery would then be dead.

Weird that you got o-rings, Zebralights doesn't mention some for the SC30... When did you buy it, cardboard box or plastic? Have you got the strap and the holder with it?

I forgot to mention that you can lock out the tailcap and thus stop the parasitic drain... :wave:

tre

Flashlight Enthusiast
I purchased mine used at the marketplace. It did not come with a box. I do have the O rings, strap, and holder. I also got the strap, O-rings, and holder for an SC51. I purchased a new SC60 just a few weeks back and got 2 spare O-rings with it (it came in the brown box).

jonesy

Enlightened
This one is on my "possibly to buy" list. Is it due for an XP-G in the near future like the SC50?

Nice pics and review! It's almost pushed me over the edge (again). :twothumbs

glock19er

Newly Enlightened
I received my new SC30 yesterday. Love it! This is replacing my Quark mini. I love the UI. The light was flawless out of the box. Mine only came with the headband and silicone holder. I did a weeks worth of research before deciding on the SC30. Really happy with purchase.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
On the strength of this excellent review, I purchased an SC30W. and couldn't be happier! I have subsequently purchased it's big brother the SC60W. &
they make a fine pair. Thank you for the informative and very helpful review.

HIDblue

Enlightened
On the strength of this excellent review, I purchased an SC30W. and couldn't be happier! I have subsequently purchased it's big brother the SC60W. &
they make a fine pair. Thank you for the informative and very helpful review.

Thanks very much Sparky! Forgot about this old review, but glad to hear you found it helpful.