Malkoff M31

mfrey

Enlightened
I figured I'd start a thread on Gene's forthcoming low-voltage offering.

Does anyone know if it will run in regulation at full power off one AA?

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Finally: a Malkoff M31...

I want 200 plus lumens off a single AA NiMH or 2 NiMH?

Dereelight and Solarforce and the old M30 do not do this:mecry:

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
he has fine tuned the boost circuit to be better optimized at the lower voltages of 2AA and 1 CR123 battery that is more realistically at 3V or less and not something up to 4.2V. So I am guessing that its more likely to be at full power with a non rechargeable lithium battern below 3V and in the 2.7V range, and will probably make very close to full power if not still holding full power off of 2 AA NiMH rechargeables in the 2.4 to 2.7V range, much better than the older M30 series that really needed 3.7V to kick in full power regulation. Testing on a DC power supply is the only way to know for sure. But I think that was the whole idea of changing around his driver circuitry.

donn_

Flashaholic
I like the 5.5V top range of the M30. One of my favorite setups is an M30 in an old SF with 4x Elite 1500 2/3A cells. At 4.8V, it's the brightest M30 I've seen.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the 5.5V top range of the M30. One of my favorite setups is an M30 in an old SF with 4x Elite 1500 2/3A cells. At 4.8V, it's the brightest M30 I've seen.

Its cause you havent seen my M30 with super low vf. At 4.2V input it draws 1.8A off AW 17670:whistle::whistle:

cheers:wave:

donn_

Flashaholic
I've run about a dozen different M30s on a wide variety of cell combinations. Same with M60s and M61s. Nothing does better than the 1500 Elites. They get closer to maximum V-in and have amazing current capability.

Try them.

I don't bother with measurements. I have enough SF bodies and tails to do side-by-side testing.

In my world, what looks brighter is brighter.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I've run about a dozen different M30s on a wide variety of cell combinations. Same with M60s and M61s. Nothing does better than the 1500 Elites. They get closer to maximum V-in and have amazing current capability.

Try them.

I don't bother with measurements. I have enough SF bodies and tails to do side-by-side testing.

In my world, what looks brighter is brighter.

Are you using the A14 with a 6P size body? I've got the conversion setup, and have always thought about using loose high capacity 2/3A cells with my M30.

Bill

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now if we can get a one cell body and have the high-low switch work in the VME head that would be fantastic.

KDOG3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even better would be an M31L that would also work with the hi-lo switch in the one cell body....That way you could still have killer output PLUS longer runtime...

zwerky

Newly Enlightened
Now if we can get a one cell body and have the high-low switch work in the VME head that would be fantastic.

+1 on this. i have an M30 in a vme head/twisty body setup -- love this light, but would also like to see it have a lower mode for longer run time.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
+1 on this. i have an M30 in a vme head/twisty body setup -- love this light, but would also like to see it have a lower mode for longer run time.

Use the M61L, or M61LL for longer runtime on an RCR123 with the VME head/short twisty body. It will run in regulatiion.

Bill

3.3V max? Might be perfect for those 16340 LiFePO4 cells laying around and being under used. 3.2V nom. 3.5V hot.

Any speculation about performance from two NiMH's @ 2.4V nom. 2.8V hot.

Donn_,
Just ordered a bunch of 2/3A. The small size opens up several pastabilities. I'm guessing two will fit in a 6P and be approx. 6 mm short? Thanks for the ideas.

lovecpf especially when I learn something new!

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Malkoff M31 on three nickel-zinc AAs

I own two M30WF modules. One is driven by two NiZn AA cells, the other by three NiZn AAs in a Fivemega 3xAA body. Eac packs a punch. In the 3xAA, the resulting flood is marginally brighter but essentially equalled by my 3xNiZn Dereelight XP-G + diffuser lens from Flashlightlens.com.

Before he settles on a voltage range, I hope Gene considers the growing popularity of nickel-zinc AA cells. It would be a pity if the M31 couldn't be driven at 4.8V to 5.1V under load.