Jetbeam        
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: Malkoff M31

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Malkoff M31

I have a M31LLL that I feed all my used CR123 cells to. It fires up just fine on cells that my other lights won't even light up on.

Once I use up my stash of CR123 cells, I may break down and actually purchase some new ones (I've never actually bought a CR123 cell...I just have the cells that came with new lights).

--flatline

Flashaholic

Maybe I should consider to use only primaries. I like rechargeables, but 16340 cells are not that advanced anymore by todayĎs standards.
    I was wrong with the MDC heads, they also are either up to 3.2 V or for one Li-Ion. Only the bodyguard seems to be able to run both. I think this is a direct drive drop-in?

Flashaholic

Primaries just donít cut it for me. Initially theyíre fine, but if you want want full power, you always have to swap them out for fresh cells, and then youíre stuck with a box of depleted cells. If I had M31 LLL/L as a vampire light( or a 3v version of the aa/aaa volt vampire lights made by datiled), then I could use the old cells, otherwise itís a waste and not very environmentally friendly. Itís good to remember that improperly disposed of batteries can be extremely toxic and will cause problems long after this forum is gone.
    Last edited by ledbetter; 08-28-2020 at 11:12 AM.

Thank you for such a sensible post, sometimes I wonder if I'm the only environmentalist here.
    P
    "O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!" He chortled in his joy.

Yes but isnít it more harmful for the environment to make a rechargeable lithium ion then a primary? Lithium mines are horrible for the environment period.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

OK folks, am certainly supportive of the debate, just not in the M31 thread.

Flashaholic

My M31 uses a single use lithium based battery. My M30 uses a rechargeable lithium based battery that I will recharge hopefully hundreds of times. batteryuniversity.com is a good resource on constructions.

I donít use the M30W very often, since it currently lives in an emergency-event Pelican case.

I also use a. M31N to finish off partially used CR123s, but Iím not reducing my inventory of them faster than Iím adding to it.

Yep same here. I use my partially depleted 123ís in my M30,M31ís and probably have enough to last me 5 years or so of use.but I add much more to the pile then I use. Oh the problems with being a Flashaholic.
    If i had one day left to live i would want to be at my workplace.Because every day is like a frickin eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by thermal guy View Post
    With a AAto2xCR123A Adapter. Works like a charm an as I say I can Use 1X123 or 1XAA.
    Can I inquire where to find one of these please...

Default Malkoff M31

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
    I made one from a carefully selected piece of pvc. I think it was for underground sprinkler piping. Took a good of sanding but works perfect.

Here is a couple pics of the tube I used. Takes a good bit of sanding to fit a surefire and less to fit an 18650 body but works really good in my C3 to run 2AA.

https://imgur.com/gallery/j1vF9Cd
    Last edited by Buck91; 11-24-2020 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenbean View Post
    Heís on here. Embarrassed I canít recall his screen name. Someone will help me out.

Flashaholic

Not sure which adapters you want but martinbwhite here on cpf makes about anything and oveready has a bunch as well.

Anyways this is the one I got itís fantastic. Still canít remember who I got it from😁

Awesome gang,
    Iíll dig a bit this Thursday, lol...

Iíve had stuff from Martin before and it was fantastic!

Yes, Martin D White. I have a few of his adapters, even an 18650 to AA.
    "Open the pod bay doors, please, Hal"

Flashaholic

Anyways this is the one I got itís fantastic. Still canít remember who I got it from
    I know who you got it from...it was me.

I just remembered it was Martin D White! Lol. Sorry my friend.

Flashaholic

I'd like one just like it please.

Quote Originally Posted by MartinDWhite View Post
    I know who you got it from...it was me.

I'm running an M31W on a single Lithium AA and I like it. It's not quite as bright on 1.5 volts as it is on 3 volts, which is just fine for my purposes.

That's interesting; any guesses as to runtimes ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    That's interesting; any guesses as to runtimes ?

No, I don't, sorry. But read thermal guy's post #545 above. He got 90 minutes on an eneloop.

Ok, I own 3 Malkoff's.
    All complete lights.
    I know what a drop in is. This thread got me excited about the M31.
    How does one go about getting a host if you don't have an old light hanging around? I guess it only makes sense to get the M31 if you already have an old host, otherwise, you could buy a nice complete light from Malkoff. Is there a "complete" Malkoff that compares to the M31 advantages?
    If I were to go on eBay and look around, what is the best light to look for to use Malkoff drop ins?

Quote Originally Posted by doctordun View Post
    If I were to go on eBay and look around, what is the best light to look for to use Malkoff drop ins?
    Surefire 6P or any other Surefire that takes a P60 dropin.

Flashaholic

M31 was designed to run on a single 3v cr123 battery or two AA batteries so it works best with a malkoff vme head on any single battery e host or you could put it in a surefire 9p with a sleeve to run aaís.If you run it in a 6p you will need a 16mm x 35mm dummy battery to take up the space of one battery.
    Last edited by ledbetter; 12-04-2020 at 05:27 PM.

Right, ledbetter, I forgot to mention the battery spacer that would be needed.

Quote Originally Posted by doctordun View Post
    Ok, I own 3 Malkoff's.
    All complete lights.
    I know what a drop in is. This thread got me excited about the M31.
    How does one go about getting a host if you don't have an old light hanging around? I guess it only makes sense to get the M31 if you already have an old host, otherwise, you could buy a nice complete light from Malkoff. Is there a "complete" Malkoff that compares to the M31 advantages?

I find my C3-HA makes a wonderful M31 host with 2AA using a DIY PVC sleeve to reduce rattle. The 9P or G3 would work well here, too. Or a Solarforce L2M with extension. Or the Lumens Factory Seraph 9 (which is actually still available).

Other then one M31 that I edc I have taken to putting my M31ís in Malkoff 2XAA tubes. Much less chance of over voltage accidents.

Flashaholic

Other then one M31 that I edc I have taken to putting my M31ís in Malkoff 2XAA tubes. Much less chance of over voltage accidents.
    Hi,
    I'm trying to figure out if the AA tubes (1x & 2x) fit the VME head. Is that the set-up you speak of above ? (VME head + M31 + 2AA tube)

Cheers.

Yes. Also surefire E series bodies.
    Russ

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 10131415161718192021 LastLast