Quark XP-G R4 Neutral white 123x2 operation weirdness...

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just received a special run XP-G R4 Neutral White 123x2 Quark. :party:

I'm finding that with the standard reverse-clicky switch that came with the light operation is as expected. :thumbsup:

But when used with any of my forward clicky Quark tailcaps, the light will not revert back to default at the next "turn-on". :shrug:

For example, I'll use momentary on MAX, then at 10 seconds, 15 seconds later (when the light should have long since returned to default mode) I hit momentary again and this time I get strobe. :(

Weird. I have five other Quarks in a variety of head options and the forward clicky switch works as expected with all of them, but not with this XP-G R4 123x2 head. :thinking:

Anyone else had this issue with a Quark?

I like this light a lot, but would prefer to run it with a forward clicky tailcap and that's where the problem occurs.

Last edited:

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
Re: Quark operation weirdness...

That's strange... based on what you described, it almost sounds like the forward clicky is keeping the light powered up a tiny bit (enough to keep the circuit alive). Is resets if you unscrew the forward clicky and then put it back on?

pepekraft

Newly Enlightened

I just got a NW quark aa2. Mine is not reverting to the default moonlight/turbo mode consistently, using only the standard reverse-clicky. I don't have a forward clicky to try. Sometimes 3 seconds off is long enough, sometimes 15 seconds is not long enough. 30 seconds or longer has consistently been enough to get it back to the start mode. It hasn't been a problem for me, just an oddity.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

I just got a NW quark aa2. Mine is not reverting to the default moonlight/turbo mode consistently, using only the standard reverse-clicky. I don't have a forward clicky to try. Sometimes 3 seconds off is long enough, sometimes 15 seconds is not long enough. 30 seconds or longer has consistently been enough to get it back to the start mode. It hasn't been a problem for me, just an oddity.

Hmmmmm.... very interesting. I've switched back to the standard reverse clicky on mine and so far, with testing, it is going to default within 3 seconds.

I like to use my lights on momentary quite often, so in that regard, this is a bit of a problem for me.

=======================================

OTHERWISE... this is a great head for applications not requiring long throw. I really love the broad, even, neutral, and very bright beam of this light. The beam is kind of like having a neutral tint P7 or MC-E light! :twothumbs It has a bit more "centrality" than most P7 or MC-E heads offer, but the center beam is broad and very soft edged and the spill is quite bright. It makes a great "room sweeper" and excellent near- to moderate-distance yard light.

Stepping out onto my porch, the light broadly and wonderfully lights up the immediate yard area out to about 60 feet quite brilliantly, which very effectively illuminates a typical "back yard". And doing a late night sweep in the dark house, this light broadly illuminates most of an entire room fairly evenly - which is exactly what you would want for a "room sweeper". This light is quite preferrable, to me, over a thrower when it comes to typical "back yard" light.

When I need to pick out smaller areas at greater distance, beyond the immediate yard, however, a more throwy light works much better.

Of course, as we all know, no light "does it all". :cool:

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's strange... based on what you described, it almost sounds like the forward clicky is keeping the light powered up a tiny bit (enough to keep the circuit alive). Is resets if you unscrew the forward clicky and then put it back on?

PoM... I tried your suggestion of removing the tailcap from the light entirely:

1) Hit momentary on MAX,
2) remove tailcap,
3) replace tailcap within about 10-15 seconds or so,
4) hit momentary again and I get.... STROBE.

Dang. :sick:

I guess this light will just need to be run with a reverse clicky or returned to 4Sevens.

Other than that, I love it.

Last edited:

TwitchALot

Enlightened
I just received a special run XP-G R4 Neutral White 123x2 Quark. :party:

I'm finding that with the standard reverse-clicky switch that came with the light operation is as expected. :thumbsup:

But when used with any of my forward clicky Quark tailcaps, the light will not revert back to default at the next "turn-on". :shrug:

For example, I'll use momentary on MAX, then at 10 seconds, 15 seconds later (when the light should have long since returned to default mode) I hit momentary again and this time I get strobe. :(

Weird. I have five other Quarks in a variety of head options and the forward clicky switch works as expected with all of them, but not with this XP-G R4 123x2 head. :thinking:

Anyone else had this issue with a Quark?

I like this light a lot, but would prefer to run it with a forward clicky tailcap and that's where the problem occurs.

I have a very similar problem with my neutral 2 X AA head, but I run the standard reverse clicky. It seems to take about 10+ (10-15) seconds for the circuit to reset. Thus, if I turn my light on in max, and turn it off, and turn it back on within 10 seconds, it'll strobe instead of going to max. Switching tailcaps didn't help, and the 14500 works fine with my 1 X AA head.

Now here's the kicker on mine: It only happens running a 14500. On the 2 X AA setup, it works perfectly. :faint:

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
So, the light works totally normally with the reverse switch, but doesn't reset with the forward clicky AND doesn't reset even after removing the forward clicky completely for a while and putting it back on...

That's really bizarre given that all the circuitry is in the head and the switch is just an on/off type of thing for which removing the tailcap is electrically equivalent to "off"... I can't really think of any reasonable explanation of how that could happen - it sounds like the head somehow knows which switch you are using. You must have gotten a haunted flashlight with a ghost who doesn't like forward clickies.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, the light works totally normally with the reverse switch, but doesn't reset with the forward clicky AND doesn't reset even after removing the forward clicky completely for a while and putting it back on...

That's really bizarre given that all the circuitry is in the head and the switch is just an on/off type of thing for which removing the tailcap is electrically equivalent to "off"... I can't really think of any reasonable explanation of how that could happen - it sounds like the head somehow knows which switch you are using. You must have gotten a haunted flashlight with a ghost who doesn't like forward clickies.

Well, if you say it could only be a ghost, then I guess ghost explains it. :shrug:

Seems to me there must just be some oddity in the electric circuit. I'm surely no electronics engineer, though. I've got about six Quarks with all manner of regular and tactical heads, every body size, and quite a variety of tailcaps, and have been lego-ing and using most them daily for a year or so, so it's not exactly like I'm a newbie to Quarks who can't figure out how to use them properly.

Sounds like other people have had the same experience as well... I guess the ghost has a number of friends who travel around! ;)

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
Well, if you say it could only be a ghost, then I guess ghost explains it. :shrug:

Seems to me there must just be some oddity in the electric circuit. I'm surely no electronics engineer, though. I've got about six Quarks with all manner of regular and tactical heads, every body size, and quite a variety of tailcaps, and have been lego-ing and using most them daily for a year or so, so it's not exactly like I'm a newbie to Quarks who can't figure out how to use them properly.

Sounds like other people have had the same experience as well... I guess the ghost has a number of friends who travel around! ;)

I wasn't trying to suggest you were a newbie who doesn't know how to use the Quark or anything like that, I was just kidding around with the ghost remark. I just think this is a really interesting problem in a light for which the electronics are in the head with a "dumb" tailcap. I'll be interested to know if you ever figure out what it is. :popcorn:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
POM.. no worries. BTW, the problem is definitely intermittant. I can work it quite a few times, sometimes, before it doesn't default back to MAX. Freaky. But I'm liking the beam a lot for indoor and back yard stuff, really broad and bright without a pronounced hot spot. Really nice for closer range use.

riccardo

Enlightened
HI,
I'm having same problem on a Qark AA2 NW..

Some kind of inconsistence in reset time, first days it was happening much more but now it's happening more seldom.

I guess it has something to do with battery tension, I don't believe that there can be some kind of break-in of the driver. Probably this odd behavior is more evident with higher input tension and decrease while battery get exhausted.

Has anybody else got my same impression? ..anyway, later today I'll try to change batteries with a couple of fresh ones, just to check if the problem will appear again.

I find the problem annoying, I'd like to buy another Qark NW (a 123*2) and, to avoid any surprise, I'll take a tactical...