Danger of LEDs?

Mags

Flashlight Enthusiast
With the efficiency and output of LEDs advancing at a faster pace than ever, I cant help but wonder if LEDs can pose as any potential factor when it comes to eye damage. Has there been any reported case related to this?

Moka

Enlightened
Short answer is Yes, like all light, severely bright light aimed at someones peepers will cause temporary blindness, which can last a few seconds after the light source is removed up to a few minutes normally, but longer periods can happen (welders will tell you about this one). I know I wouldn't wanna cop something like Olight's SR90 to the face thats for sure :thumbsup:

In addition to just overall brightness, which everyone knows can cause damage, I've also read this article:
http://www.mdsupport.org/library/hazard.html#blue/
This article mentions what is known as "The Blue light Hazard" which is particularly applicable to LED lighting, those horrible bluish tints in LEDs we see not only are not the most pleasant thing to look at, but according to this may cause damage to the eyes...

Hope that helps.
-Moka

Squishy

Newly Enlightened
I've read in the past that any blue light, not necessarily just bright blue light, increases the rate of macular degeneration. I read the article several years ago so I have nothing to cite, but it was a reputable publication. One of the benefits of lutein is to help the body produce a certain chemical in the eye that helps to filter blue light (again, long time ago so don't remember the specifics).

I have placed masking tape on or completely disabled most of the stupid blue LEDs that are on "modern" electronics in the house. The "friendliest" colours are supposed to be in the amber to green range.