Muyshondt Aeon Question...

Lord Bear

Enlightened
My new Aeon turns on, then off, then on again, before hitting the high level. I got two from Brightguys. One black, one natural. I've also had the Ti Nautilus for around a year(?). The black Aeon and the Ti Nautilus are identical in UI. Same amount of travel to turn on lo, then same travel to hi. The natural Aeon as stated, first turns on lo, then off, then on lo, then hi. I've mixed feelings on this. Playing with it for the this one evening only, the second "off", after coming "on lo", is actually reliable! In other words, from that second "off", (after first coming on lo, then with further travel turning "off"), the travel to hi is reduced! With the Nautilus and the black Aeon, from off to lo to hi is around 360 degrees of travel.
With the natural Aeon, when taking advantage of the second "off", from off to lo to hi is around 60 degrees of travel! (The travel from the original off to lo then off to lo THEN hi is the same 360 degrees.) Practically speaking, if reliable, this is a good thing. But from functionality and long term reliability this could be a flaw.
Any insights/advice/experience would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does the spring look OK? Same height as the for the othr two lights, no broken solder?

Try to clean the threads and the contacts, and have a close look at the spring, also check if the foam sits right and isn't broken. I could imagine that part of it may come in between at some point and interrupt the contact until you turn further...

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmmm... sounds weird...

I don't see why it shut off while screwing more. Could there be something, even small, under the spring (dust, foam residue, etc...) ?

If you send it back to Enrique, can you please just chime here about how you contacted him ? He seem to be gone from CPF...

Lord Bear

Enlightened
hmmmm... sounds weird...

I don't see why it shut off while screwing more. Could there be something, even small, under the spring (dust, foam residue, etc...) ?

If you send it back to Enrique, can you please just chime here about how you contacted him ? He seem to be gone from CPF...

No news from Enrique, I've searched.

Lord Bear

Enlightened
I haven't cleaned the contacts (ala 4sevens Deoxit Gold, don't have it yet). I DID try to see if the foam and spring were OK. They seem to be just fine in comparison to the other Aeon and Nautilus. (I took a magnifier to all three just to see if there was anything I'd missed. Compared to the Nautilus, the Aeons' foam do seem a little lopsided.) I've taken to just screwing in and out and the "off" anomaly seems to be going away.
At first the "off" anomaly seemed to be consistent and reliable. This is now going away. It became a flicker. Now after repeated cycles, when going from "off" to low to high, at first there was just a flicker. This has now disappeared. No more flicker, no more off before Hi is reached.
From Hi to lo, there is still a flicker. I cannot turn it off reliably anymore. I've gone back and forth but the "off" while "on lo" doesn't work at all.
So, to summarize...
Going from Off to lo to hi, no flicker, no "off" before reaching Hi. Smooth function.
Going from Hi to lo to off, very slight flicker between lo to off without an actual turnoff before going off completely.
I theorize that this is just a matter of the UI smoothing out. These may have been in storage for awhile before being shipped. I do wish Muyshondt was available for advice but so far no go.
In any case, I don't believe there are any better lights in this configuration other than Nitecore's EZ123 and EZCR2. (Not professing which is better, just saying, Nitecore's offerings are in the same configuration of Twisty, CR2/CR123A lights.)