Pelican 9410 710 Lumen Led Lantern Pics/1st Impressions and Beamshots

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,
I am a sucker for lanterns. When I was a kid, they were the Heavy Artillery in flashlight wars at summer camp... and no form of light takes me back to my first love of this hobby like they do. Unfortunately, the plastic clad lantern has not been the recepient of many of the modern inovations of leds (although there are some great 3,000+ lumen H.I.D's out there) and what we mainly see here on cpf are a million variations of 2x123a lights with modern leds... which are wonderful, but do not capture my heart the way a good lantern does.

When I saw the new Pelican 9410 led lantern (thanks to 276) I was immediately excited. A led lantern that can take abuse, is rechargable, has a swivel head (they did not have that feature when i was a kid) and puts out 710 Measured, honest-out-the-front lumens.... I knew I would most likely end up owning one. One call to Greg at Brightguy to "find out some information about it" had it coming to my house second day air. (as I feared it would...) One nice thing, BG has the lights marked at $249 and not the $325+ I was seeing them on other sites before BG got them in.

Anyway, Here are some pics and info on the light:

4778838357_e5fcf0012d.jpg

The Box, which contains the light, charging base, AC cord, Manual and a really heavy-duty strap.

4782155198_fbf9986a1e_b.jpg

The Light has 3 modes: Click on (soft switch) High, click again in 3 sec. for med (300L) and a strobe that flashes at about 2x per second...to get attention, not irritate. At any time after 3 sec. clicking again will turn the light off.

4779473220_d5e2a9023b_b.jpg

One cool thing about the switch is that it glows green when it has 75% or more of its charge left, orange when charge is 25%-75% and red when charge is under 25%.

4779473382_5877a85bbb_b.jpg

The lights use 4 leds, the manual does not state, but they look like xpg's to me. Maybe a better expert can confirm this. (sorry I missed the dust on the lens (which I am guessing is some sort of polycarbonite in material)

4779472798_c45e02c5c9_b.jpg

Here is a closer pic of one of the leds. Beam tint is Q5 cool but not bluish white.

4779473034_9388712335_b.jpg

One thing I really like about this light (that I did Not like on the Streamlight led lantern) is that there is plenty of room for even a gloved big guys hand to hold the light. I really think Pelican was thinking of Firemen when they made this thing.

4778839571_b415834083_b.jpg

Speaking of Firemen, the atachment points for the serious carrying strap (which is actually more heavy duty feeling than the one that came with the 10LB Streamlight lightbox HID) look well done as well.

4778839477_b9da54b501_b.jpg

Here is a pic of the strap and charging base that comes with the unit. The light flashes red when the light is charging.

4779472980_77e3e671b5_b.jpg

On the underside of the light near the head, are 2 screws that make contact with the metal posts of the base when the light is locked in place on it.

4782155070_066a94303f_b.jpg

One neat thing this light will do is stand on its end, and project its light anywhere from straight up, to past 90 degrees (120 all together) The racheting motion seems very solid.

4778903021_97abf709c4_b.jpg

OK, the beam. Being a 4 led light, I was a little worried about what the beam would look like...if their would be wierd artifacts. Thankfully their are not. This pic (next to a TK12R2 Fenix (both lights on high) has the wall less then 3' from the lights. There is no 4 led pattern even at this range. As for spill, I had Greg at BG compare it to the TK45. He said the Fenix had the easily brighter spill, but the Pelicans was much wider and the Pelican the easily more intense spot. This beamshot shows the limitations of my camera. The TK12 looks as bright as the 9410. It is not. It does show how wide the Pelican's spill is though...It is Huge!

4779545926_7fa979ff78_b.jpg

Here is a ceiling bounce shot at 6/10" f/2.8 of the Fenix TK12

4778917209_a5a30ca7e8_b.jpg

same settings, the Pelican

4781518931_bb83640820_b.jpg

Sorry I do not have other 600+ lumen lights to compare the Pelican too, so I will (edit) only do a couple of comparrison shots. Here is a 1" shot at about 30'.

4778926833_398940ecae_b.jpg

Here is a 1.3" shot at 25 yards. As I said, the spill is quite wide.

Edit, I dug up some comparison beamshots that I thought I would post just to show the difference in spill and throw with a couple of my present and past brightest handheld lights. All are taken at 8 yards at 1sec exp. and iso 64 f/2.8

First, 4Sevens Quark 123a X2 Turbo

4081783289_728715aa21_o.jpg

Next the 210 L (OTF) Streamlight Stinger HP (a great throw light)

4081783331_3d0f50610b_o.jpg

Next the Pelican 9410

4786286624_8d47f34b42_b.jpg

I look forward to some of the new high output lights coming out in the next few months to offer a better comparrison. But I wanted another shot to show the spill of this light.

Overall, I am quite happy with my new light. I was looking for a brighter than 200 lumen light, and have had a TK40... which was a great light...but I wanted something different. I also did not need the 3000 L of another hid, and I wanted instant on and off (without hurting the ballast) capabilities. I also like rugged lights.

The Pelican has fit the bill for me. It is not large at 9" long (4" wide and high) or heavy at 3lbs. Its NIMH 4D pack will give it over an hour and a half (I believe regulated..but not tested) of light on high, and over 4 hours (300L) on low...and its strobe does not ever need to be hit...unless you want it, and even then it may be usable at 2 flashes per sec.

So if your looking for a bright light...and just want something a little differnt than an 18650 light... check this one out. Now if I could only find a way to send it back in time in a care package to my 5th grade summer camp.....

Last edited:

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Pelican 9410 710 Lumen Led Lantern Pics and first Impressions

I have been looking at this one too. Can it accept regular Alkaline D-Cell batteries?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is a really nice light!

I would love to have one for around the house!

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened

That looks nice pretty nice! Great review!

Does it look like it can be taken apart easily to be modded?

BTW who sells Pelican flashlights?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments!

I have heard pretty decent things about Optics Planet. I picked up mine from Brightguy for $249.

I am sure the light could be easilly modded, everything seems to be held together by phillips screws.

As for the battery pack, I do not believe Alkalines could be used as they would not have the amperage to power the light for long. And, from what I understand from reading the manual, the batteries are part of a pack that is connected by some sort of plug. But hey...with a little modding...anything might be possible:)

Last edited:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

Is this going to become the norm,showing lanterns in the led flashlight section ?

I have no interest in them and I thought lanterns had there own section.:shakehead

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

I did not see a sections for lanterns...let alone led ones, and did not really feel thsi was a spotlight or a hid. Of course the Moderators are welcome to move this thread into whatever area they would wish, and if I posted in the wrong section I do apoligize.

jellydonut

Enlightened

Wow! I wish we had something like that at my previous workplace. We had incandescent lights slightly larger than that one, with less illumination than my Malkoff on low mode. :thumbsdow

At least now I know what I'll put out a PO for when I get out of school and onto my next boat.. The charger looks pretty sweet too. So simple even a knuckle dragging engine crewman can't mix it up.

The only thing I don't like is the strobe mode, I don't see what utility it has in a lamp like this. Is it something firemen/EMS have a use for?

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

I could think the strobe, which is more of just a quick flash would be useable for signaling...either caution or need help. It was clearly not designed for any kind of tactical purpose on this light.

I do not believe it will see much use with me, but I like that in order to activate it, I would have to press the switch 3 times in the first 3 seconds of light activation. It is not something one ever has to cycle through. The same is true with low...only two presses are needed instead of 3.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great Review!!

jellydonut

Enlightened

I could think the strobe, which is more of just a quick flash would be useable for signaling...either caution or need help. It was clearly not designed for any kind of tactical purpose on this light.

I do not believe it will see much use with me, but I like that in order to activate it, I would have to press the switch 3 times in the first 3 seconds of light activation. It is not something one ever has to cycle through. The same is true with low...only two presses are needed instead of 3.
Yeah, but dude.. Here's how I see it. The light has a strobe mode. No matter how intricate the manner in which one has to select this is.. My dear coworkers will be able to switch the light to strobe mode and they will be wondering what is going on. Then they'll either a) work with it using the strobe mode rather than attempting to set it back to normal or b) come back with the light and ask for instructions, and rather than remembering how to use the switch they'll do this every time.

I need a neanderthal-proof version.:grin2:

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

276...Thanks and thanks for putting me onto the light. I did notice a little bit of pwm on med. Not horrible, ie much better than Streamlight's stinger led series...but it can be detected.

Jellydonut, I do understand. I was visiting with my father and he asked me if I would run to the store to buy a battery for the digital camera I bought him last Christmas. (he is 75) I asked him if his was not charging. He looked rather confused...and I had him pull out the box. Inside was the nice charger for the lithium ion battery it came with. He had no idea, and just had not used the camera in months
ohgeez.gif

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a chance to use the light for a longer period last night. The light does not get warm at all, even at the head, even after 20 minutes. The switch turns more of what I would call orange than amber when less than 75% of the battery was left. Its nice to hold a higher output light that does not get hot. That is one pretty nice things about many HID lights...not always found in leds.

I added a couple of comparrison shots to my first post.

DuckhunterInTN

Newly Enlightened

Is this going to become the norm,showing lanterns in the led flashlight section ?

I have no interest in them and I thought lanterns had there own section.:shakehead

Then don't click on a thread that has "lantern" in the title. :shakehead

OP, thank you for the review! It looks like a really nice light.

Latest posts