Fenix LD15 XP-G R4 1xAA - review with beamshots

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
Premise: my english is not very good, i do my best and i hope you enjoy the pictures and beamshots. Thanks to all :D

Two weeks ago i received this new Fenix LD15 Testing Sample. This is a prototype so i haven't a package or extras to show. It came only with instructions.

A copy-paste from Fenix official site with technical data.

• Cree XP-G LED (R4) with lifespan of 50,000 hours
• Two modes of output:High (117 lumens, 1.5hrs) ->
Low (8 lumens, 39hrs)
(Tested with Ni-mh battery with actual capacity 2500mAh)
• Stable current regulated circuit, stable brightness
• Uses one 1.5V AA battery (ni-mh, alkaline)
• 80mm (Length) X 16.6mm (Diameter)
• 21-gram weight (excluding batteries)
• Made of durable aircraft-grade aluminum
• Premium Type III hard-anodized anti-abrasive finish
• Waterproof to IPX-8 Standard
• Toughened double ultra-clear glass lens
• Reliable twist switch
• Candle mode (Capable of standing up securely on a flat
surface to serve as a candle)
• Accessories: key ring, lanyard

I was immediately surprised by the size and I ran to take the LD01 for comparison.
Of course there is a difference but the small size of this Fenix has happily impressed me, thanks to its great power.

Here it is close to its source of energy. At firts i wondered how i can throw in the battery :p

CONSTRUCTION

This flashlight consists of two parts, head and battery tube. It's a twisty and the build quality is excellent. Anodizing is perfect and details well done as on other Fenix.

The small OP reflector is shallow. This light will be definitely floody. The LED is slightly off, a fraction of a millimeter and in fact the beam quality is not affected in any way.

A comparison with the little sister LD01

and with big sister LD20

The LED is housed in brass and also threads of the head are made in brass. This feature has two major advantages:
1-bronze ensures more efficient heat dissipation;
2-friction with the aluminum is reduced and the fluidity of the twisty switch is amazing. It operates easily with one hand.
The O-ring properly sized and knurling complete this great twisty switch.

The black plastic ring surrounds the electrical contact and it prevents contact with the negative terminal of battery.

In the battery tube we can see three copper fins instead of the classic spring. The walls are thin but i have a good feeling when i put in the battery.

Contrary to its sister LD01, the LD15 has almost all the body knurled. Rhomboidal knurling is prefect.

The lettering is clear (the picture makes it darker) and the bronze ring adds a touch of elegance that I appreciate very much.

The bottom is flat so the flashlight can tailstand. There are two holes and a notch so you can use a lanyard or a key ring without comprimizing tailstand ability.

USER INTERFACE

Clean and simple. I turn on the light by tightening the head and you can change the level loosen and tighten the head within 1.5 s.
My sample is a prototype and it turn on at the lowest level (8 lumens) while production models turn on at max (117 lumens).
There are only two levels. The user can choose to have greater autonomy or good power. I endorse entirely the Fenix choice. The low level is not so low and is perfect for navigating in the dark but also to see a few feet away and the maximum is not so powerful that you feel the lack of an intermediate level.
All this translates into a great ease of use

OUTPUT

The tint of this R4 is pure white. It isn't as cold as LD20 R4 in my possession. I must say I am very gratified by the tint.
The beam is floody with a massive spill (for the type of light), Ld15 produces a little wall of light. The transition from spot to spill is very gradual, there isn't a sharp cut. I have no a luxmeter to say this but it seems that LD01 out-throws LD15 albeit there is a very little difference.
But what surprised me is the LD15 pure power. I'm sure that produces more of the 117 lumens declared. Literally demolishes the LD01 R2 85 lumens. 22 lumens is little difference at these levels but it seems a lot in my comparison.
This is not a lack of LD01 but just an extraordinary light output of the LD15. I wonder if this power has any link with the virtue of LD10 R4 (tested 176 lumens).
Dangerously I estimate approximately 140-150 lumens OTF but this is my sensation ( it's better to wait for precise measurements) :p
In order to support my thesis i have to say that the flashlight became very hot. After just two minutes the heat is considerable. The heart of brass seems to do its job well.

BEAMSHOT

I decided to compare the LD15 with LD01 R2 but I admit that I would like to have a quark mini AA or ezAA to compare.
This time I tried to make photos more true, that shows better what I see. I hope you like them. The camera operator is always my brother who is on vacation and left me without Pentax camera (I wanted to take more photos).

SCENARIO A - 10 meters from little plant, 17 from wall ( 18mm f3.5 0,6s iso 400)

LD15 MAX 117 lumens

LD01 R2 MAX 85 lumens

SCENARIO B - ( 18mm f3.5 0,6s iso 400)

LD15 MIN 8 lumens

LD15 MAX 117 lumens

LD01 MIN 9 lumens

LD01 MED 28 lumens

LD01 MAX 85 lumens

SCENARIO C - ( 18mm f3.5 0,6s iso 400)

LD15 MIN 8 lumens

LD15 MAX 117 lumens

LD01 MIN 9 lumens

LD01 MED 28 lumens

LD01 MAX 85 lumens

CEILING BOUNCE- ( 55mm f5.6 0,6s iso 400)

LD15 MAX 117 lumens

LD01 MAX 85 lumens

CONCLUSION

Another satisfaction with a Fenix flashlight which enters into this class with a really good light. Fenix Lights have excellent build quality and reliability and the LD15 is one of these, so i can only suggest this little beast.
The Fenix LD15 is the opposite of a thrower. It is extremely powerful and it lights up very well in the first meters with a wide angle but it loses effectiveness if pointed away. It is a must have for EDC lovers and it is an excellent complement to big flashlights. Nobody will be disappointed by the performance of LD15.

Sorry for any mistakes, I do not even realize it :oops:

Last edited:

chenko

Enlightened
Good job with this review! Very good beamshots too, those do tell a lot. Lovely little light!

Budda

Enlightened
Interesting this low mode...
However, this ld15 reminds me another light :)

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fantastic beam shots it does look like the tint is a nice white. Also I agree just from your comparison it does look more then 117 lumens, maybe. I think the small Fenix twistys LD01, PD10 and now the LD15 are top in their class. Great job

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
Thank you guys lovecpf . I can confirm: the output of this baby is AMAZING. I took beamshots with a Pentax K-x using the same setting to do an accurate comparison. I can say that pictures show very well what i see and the difference between these two lights.
In my review i don't talk about PWM, it's simply because i can't notice any sign of PWM.

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
So you think it's more than 117? Do you have PD30 you could do a ceiling bounce test with the PD30 on high. I think the PD30 R4 is around 140 lumen on high and the Q5-R2 models are 120-125.
I have an old PD30 Q5. I can take others beamshots only when my brother come back home (in a week).

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
My sample is a prototype and it turn on at the lowest level (8 lumens) while production models turn on at max (117 lumens

OP reflector

vs. high first & smooth reflector in the production model. i'll take the "testing sample" also.

candle lamp

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good job and very nice review ! Thank you. :twothumbs
The beam is floody with a wide spill and very good.
LD15 has simple UI and it's easy to handle with one hand.
The reverse polarity protection function looks nice as well.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for your review and your English is better than some of us English speakers :D, I had no trouble reading it at all.

Must admit I am very tempted as I am a big fan of Fenix lights.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mmm...not having a medium mode turned me off at first. Think I might have to reconsider now.

The walls must be almost paper thin to fit a AA inside that super-slim body.

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
Mmm...not having a medium mode turned me off at first. Think I might have to reconsider now.

The walls must be almost paper thin to fit a AA inside that super-slim body.

Hi Jash. The UI in this light is very simple. There are no a true low mode and a mid level but i like very much this simplicity. For me, LD01 UI is already too cumbersome. I like more complicated UI in bigger and more powerfull light.

Walls are thin but not dramatically and i find it strong with the battery inserted.

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is really no one going to point out that it looks a lot like another light we all know?

Crenshaw

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, if we all know the other light that looks and acts and feels like this one, why is nobody saying it? What on Earth is going on?

Personally - if only Fenix had thought of including a tripod screw thread on the tail, then it's functionality would be complete. I have always wanted a slim twisty with this feature.

Seriously though, I've always been a sucker for Fenix ever since my L1 waaaaaaayyyyyy back a long time ago, before these frums needed to shave, so I'll probably get a couple - Only neutral white or are they offering warm tints as well?

BTW - absolutely fantastic review here, mephistophele86, great pics and your enthusiasm for the craft shines through ( Pun intended). Well done.