How to max throw on a 6p?

ever4ever

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone, :wave:
I'm new here but I have been doing a lot of reading lately to support my latest hobby, and I just want to say that this is one of the best forums I've seen lately, community wise and especially information wise.

I have a Surefire 6P led which I use with a nailbender XP-G led for some spill and everyday use.
Now I want to get maximum throw from my light. I've been doing some reading and none of the threads I saw gave a definitive answer. From what I've seen my options are:
1) Nailbender XP-E R2(or 3?) with smooth reflector and an aspheric lens.
2) Neilbender XR-E R2(or 3?) with smooth reflector or 8 degree optics.
3) Lumens Factory D26 Led XR-R R2.

All leds are cool white and I'll be using 2 CR123 primaries.
Which option (or maybe something else?) will get me a pocket thrower? :candle:
Thanks for the help!

ever4ever

Newly Enlightened
I have read most of the threads on that search already.
but still, none of them gives a definitive answer.
Its mostly an opinion which then someone else says something different is better and that's where it ends. still no facts on which option throws the best on a 6p with two primaries.

am I wrong?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably the"best" out of the box will be the Dereelight XR-E R2 with a smooth reflector. You may also want to look into a small aspheric lens, and blacking-out an SMO reflector. Other than that, try to score an old Malkoff M60.

red02

Enlightened
I'm new here but I have been doing a lot of reading lately to support my latest hobby, and I just want to say that this is one of the best forums I've seen lately, community wise and especially information wise.

I have a Surefire 6P led which I use with a nailbender XP-G led for some spill and everyday use.
Now I want to get maximum throw from my light. I've been doing some reading and none of the threads I saw gave a definitive answer. From what I've seen my options are:

Thanks for the help!
XRE R3 are not, and will probably not be available since Cree is moving their XPE line which are cheaper and thus more profitable.

With all things being equal, XPG and the XPE are inferior for throwing purposes since they have a wider angle of emission than the XRE.

Classicaly, from best to worst throw
XRE R2 + Aspheric (properly focused)
XRE R2 + SMO
XP*

Without getting anything new your best bet is a Dereelight Dropin with an SMO.

Another option is to get a Nailbender XRE R2 P60 pill with an SMO driven really, really hard. 1.2 A is generally considered a safe unsafe current level.

Oh, and whatever you may hear, IMR cells are designed for 5A+ draw and you do not need them for P60. Stick with the primaries, they will handle extra current. 3A + is when you should start to worry.

The problem with P60 is it was never designed for LEDs, much less throw. IMO your just putting lipstick on a pig.

ever4ever

Newly Enlightened
The problem with P60 is it was never designed for LEDs, much less throw. IMO your just putting lipstick on a pig.

Lol!
Thanks for the help, you did make a few things much clearer.

I know the P60 throw setup isn't ideal, but I still want it pocket size and affordable (making it a thrower for under 40$). It will still put up a decent throw I hope. (Nothing like a DEFT, but I'm not aiming there either)
Thanks for the heads up. :)

scott2907

Newly Enlightened
when you get your definitive answer, can you let me know? I've been at this one for a long time!! Currently I run a LF D26 LED Special tint, and it is excellent. My next experiment will be the D26 13v with 2xRCR123's. Shame that one's not smooth. Would love a Malkoff M60, but can't get hold of one, I might throw myself at modding some DX spares and see what pops out...

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
A 13V D26 with RCR's will be no more bright than a 3.6 V pill. The LED gets the same current. Only difference is the driver input voltage. The M60 is an awesome drop-in. It has really good light distribution, transitioning from the hot-spot, to the edges of side-spill. But it doesn't out-throw a SMO reflector.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for the help!

The answer is that you will get the most throw by using an aspheric and any XR-E R2 that's driven at 1A or slightly more if you find one at 1.2A.

This could be DX, Thrunite or whoever.

If you want a more useful beam (not exclusively for throw) but still good use a TIR optic.

If you use an aspheric you don't want to use a reflector but with the 6P you need the reflector as a spacer so you can't take it out so paint it black.

You can't really do much more with a 6P for throw. You need a larger diameter optic or reflector to increase throw beyond what's mentioned above.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can do some modding.....Here's what will give the most throw. Get one of the new XR-E R2, WH bin, LED's on the newer EZ900 Die. add a 1.4 Amp AMC 4x driver board. The new smaller die gives a tighter focused spot, which helps a bunch on the very small D26 reflectors. It should add about 22-23% to the lux by going EZ900. Add in a 25% gain by going up from 1.0 to 1.4 Amps on top of that, and you got a big improvement on what a P60 drop-in can do.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
If you can do some modding.....Here's what will give the most throw. Get one of the new XR-E R2, WH bin, LED's on the newer EZ900 Die. add a 1.4 Amp AMC 4x driver board. The new smaller die gives a tighter focused spot, which helps a bunch on the very small D26 reflectors. It should add about 22-23% to the lux by going EZ900. Add in a 25% gain by going up from 1.0 to 1.4 Amps on top of that, and you got a big improvement on what a P60 drop-in can do.
I hope Nailbender builds these someday!

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have purchased every options available to man on this subject...well almost.lovecpf

The XP-E R3 = not much throw
The XR-E R2 Optic both by Nailbender and Malkoff = nice beam, but not much throw due to the 8 degree optic.

The Dereelight XR-E R2 ( there is no R3) with smooth is still the king of throw for P60 drop-ins.

I would also sugest to contact nailbender and ask for a 4~14V driver on your P60 XR-E R2 drop-in because this will drive that emitter at 1.3A solid. You will get nearly 300 OTF lumens:eek:

Remember to ask him to pot it as this helps with heat. I get 9K plus lux with mine and thats with a OP reflector and 230ish OtF lumens, but now they make close to 300 consistantly when driven at 1.3A~1.4A.

Forget the Aspheric route you will get sub 100 OTF lumens and tunnel vision.

bigC

andylondon

Newly Enlightened
The most throw i have been able to come up with in the Surefire 6P size is modding a Dereelight P60 R2 module with the newer XR-E EZ900 R2, this is a smaller die than the XR-E R2 emitters that we are used to using with the EZ1000 die. It takes forever to install and focus the aspheric properly, but all the hard work and effort is worth it as this now out-throws my slightly older custom Surefire 6P HAIII black with Dreelight R2 module driven at 1.2A and aspheric lens.

The result of the new smaller die, is a smaller square and is brighter too, due to the increased lux in the hotspot.