Recieved my replacement TK30 head

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just dont understand why I have this kind of luck, maybe there is some type of higher power at work here. Let me explain. About 2 weeks ago I purchased a Fenix Tk30 from 4sevens. After about 2 weeks of use I noticed a problem, here's the link https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/282009

After contacting 4sevens an employee advised me to package up the head and send it back and they shipped me out a new one. The new head arrived safely yesterday. All the dies lit up upon examination and seem to work properly. To my disbelief I immeditely noticed another issue. I don't own a camera and don't have access to one so I will try to explain best I can. The emitter is completey off center in the middle of the reflector. I have other lights that have this issue and I have also heard of various reports of the same thing from other users so I know this is not unheard of. The beam doesn't seem to be affected at all so there isn't an issue there. Whats bothering me is how close the emitter globe is resting next to the reflector, only a hairs gap is between the globe and the hole in the reflector. Boy I wish I had a photo so it would be easier to show than explain. Anyway, what bothering me is I'm wondering what's going to happen over the years from various drops and bangs, with the globe sitting that close to the edge of reflector hole, wondering if there could be possible damage to the globe or the led housed within. Maybe I'm being too OCD, I dont' know. I love the light itself, but with these quality control issues I just don't know. I have to commend 4sevens on their excellent customer service, this isn't the first time they have taken care of me. And after the trouble they went through to make me a satisfied customer I absolutely dread having to contact them again with yet another issue. This is just so darn frustrating.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Come on guys, I hope I'm not the only one with an off centered Tk30 emitter:shakehead

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, let me ask this then. Is it possible, or has it ever been reported, of an LED globe (glass surrounding) ever moving or changing positon upon impact? Is this likely to happen with a high quality light like the TK30? You see, with the led so far off center it's just a hair away from making contact with the edge of the hole in reflector, that's what I'm concerned about. Since I dont own a camera, take a look at this photo, http://media.photobucket.com/image/fenix%20Tk40/tk40/tk40mceled.jpg zoom in and imagine the led off centered by a few mm's with it almost making contact with the edge of the hole in the reflector, that's what's wrong with my Tk30

Last edited:

dudu84

Enlightened
Whats bothering me is how close the emitter globe is resting next to the reflector, only a hairs gap is between the globe and the hole in the reflector. Boy I wish I had a photo so it would be easier to show than explain. Anyway, what bothering me is I'm wondering what's going to happen over the years from various drops and bangs, with the globe sitting that close to the edge of reflector hole, wondering if there could be possible damage to the globe or the led housed within.

My short answer is NO and don't worry about it.

And here's why:
I disassembled the head of my TK30 the other day

When the head is assembled, a part of the reflector (check blue arrow in photo above) sits directly on the pill (not sure this is the right word in this case), meaning that the reflector is restricted from moving towards to crush the LED.

Additionally, the disassembled head has fine thread, with a very robust o-ring (between the head's components in the photo, not for between the head and the TK30's body). Even after lubing the o-ring, screwing/unscrewing the reflector requires much effort, imagine twisting at least FIVE TK10's bezel at the same time. This O-ring will do an excellent job at absorbing the shock during impacts, preventing the reflector from making any significant movement and keep the LED safe :thumbsup:

ALSO, the LED's dome is not solid stuff and should be resilient to some degree.

Now you can go out and enjoy your TK30 ;)