What are your favorite modable flashlights?

Reboot

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I just spend the past several days reading through the hundreds of posts about the Zetex CCR2 circuit for driving Luxeons from a pair of AA's. I almost died when I released how small the components were. But I recovered enough to get the parts on order and I managed to get a 13mm dia board laid out for it. I'll find out in a couple weeks if I can actually build the thing.
Assuming I can buid it, what should I put it in? I'm thinking of a AA mini-Mag. But I'm sure there are other candidates out there that might be better suited. Any recommendations?

Thanks

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Reboot,
The minimag is OK, but the Brinkmann Legend 2AA is much better and it has a lockable tailswitch stock. I have BB400Q regulators in both a minimag and Legend 2AA, the Brinkmann makes a better host (the minimag has a Kroll tailswitch)

robk

Enlightened
The Brinkmann 2AA is a very good choice. The only problem is the rubber grips tend to stretch out and get sloppy. Maybe you could glue them back on with contact cement?
Rob

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd chip in for the Brinkmann 2AA and the McLux retrofits. Both are great hosts for things like Dat2zip's sandwiches, and the McLux has a nearly endless combination of lights to configure and choose from to mod...

Reboot

Newly Enlightened
I went with the Brinkman 2AA. Took a bit of running around to find one though. Tried Ace Hardware, GI Joes, Home Depot, then finally found four of them at Fred Meyers. You guys have good taste, I really like them. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif The tail switch makes them much better than the Mag AA. And they were cheaper as well!
Now the sensible thing to do would be to order some of Dat2zips sandwiches, but I've decided to take the painful route. I'm going to attempt to construct a ZLT regulator circuit. I have the layout completed and the parts on order. Printout to scale below...

Layout.jpg

But I may end up getting some pre-build regulators anyway, cause I have no idea if I can actually build this thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif All it is at the moment is just an image on a piece of paper.
Cheers /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

robk

Enlightened
Several months back, when the parts came in from Digi-Key for my first few ZLT+ projects, I took one look at the IC's and thought there is no way on earth I can solder those things on a PCB. Now, with the aid of a circular fluorescent lamp magnifier (and reading glasses), it's a piece of cake. I used micro tips on an ISO-Tip cordless soldering iron and real thin Kester solder. Someone here on CPF gave me the hint of using a needle in the jaws of a long nose plier with a rubber band holding the handles closed. Place the chip on the board with a toothpick, hold it down with the needle and solder one leg - then you can remove the weight from the chip. It's really not that bad once you try it.
Rob

Latest posts