Drop-in for 4D Maglite? Please help me!

junglewarrior

Newly Enlightened
Hi Guys,

I have a 10 year old 4d mag that I want to convert to LED.

I have seen poor reviews for the Niteize kits after thinking I had found the perfect product for me.

I want maximum throw, not bothered at all about runtime as I wont be using too often.

Could someone give me a recomendation and maybe a link? Ideally the conversion kit would be just a bulb replacement.

If there is something very straightforward but a little 'fruitier' then i'd certainly consider that too...

Thanks in advance any help truly appreciated!

Mark

:wave:

junglewarrior

Newly Enlightened
I think i've narrowed it down to a nite-ize kit or the official magLED kit.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these? Just looking for overall throw?

Is there any alternative to these as a low cost option. The Terralux looks awesome but unfortunately i cant afford that kind of money for an LED :-(

Pericles

Newly Enlightened
I recieved this from Gene Malkoff last week:

Hello All,
I have just added a few 3-6D Mag Dropins to the website. Please note that
there is now a 2D Dropin and a 3-6D Dropin. I have changed to a straight
boost circuit for the 2D Dropins and a Buck for the 3-6 Dropins. This is
due to the lower Vf of the new XP-G LED's. The descriptions have changed
but the pictures haven't yet (they will soon).
The up and coming M31 Dropin will be limited to 3.3v input as it will be a
straight boost also. However, please note that the M61 will perform to spec
on a single rechargeable lithium.
Also please note that I will soon be adding 1 Cr123, 2 CR123, and 2 AA
twisties in the near future when the M31 is released. It will probably be
about 2-3 weeks.
Hope everyone had a great 4th of July. I sure did!!!!!!!!!
Thanks, Gene
www.malkoffdevices.com

I have one of the previous generation 2-3 D mag drop-ins, and it is a screaming 260 lumen thrower. I'm sure the next one will be even better. I think the price is $69.00 less CPF discount. Not cheap, but you will definitely get what you've paid for.

JamisonM

Enlightened
Let me ask, what are you willing to spend? The drop-ins available for maglites range in very low power to quite bright. The lower power drop-ins are cheaper and will run days on a set of batteries while the higher power ones are more expensive and will easily drain the same set of batteries in a couple of hours or less. Both nite-ize options are on the lower end while the official maglite drop-in are a step up. Terralux also has a couple of other drop-ins available, but this is the only one that will work with a 4D maglite. I'd consider it a also step up, but from the official maglite drop-in. While just a little more expensive than the official maglite drop-in, I think this would be the best one for you. It uses a newer LED that will give you twice as much light with the same power than the official maglite drop-in that uses an older luxeon III LED.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Terralux TLE-300M-EX in my 4D Maglite and it has a very wide and floody beam pattern. It is not a throw light at all. It produces what was best described by Battery Junction's MattK as a "Wall of Light." It is bright and in fact has the highest measured turn on brightness of any of my flashlights, but remember that brightness does not automatically result in increased throw distance. Do not get it if you're building a throw light.