The Space Needle Is Dead

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
No doubt some have noticed I have not announced any "runs" of Space Needle II's lately. This is because just through word of mouth as well as people reading about them here, I have had a steady stream of requests for them and it has kept me quite busy, and at a pace that was just about right. Even had some time to squeeze in a few build-to-order projects and a couple of McModule runs.

But over the last couple of days I was taking stock of parts and stuff, and realized that I have just about enough V2T Luxeons to satisfy the upcoming (and final) run of McModules. It has been difficult to get more quality 5W Luxeons lately because for one, I need to buy them in "bulk" (pun intended) since the mods need to be consistent and comparable to one another. I could try and snap up the occasional W4W and/or this and that, here and there, but that would mean output and quality would be different from one mod to the next, with brightness and beam quality all over the place, and given the ever looming specter of the Luxeon Lottery, even that great Bin Coded "W" might not be a primo (or even decent) one anyway. Don't forget that out of a reel of fifty W3V's, I was only able to use forty one.

So it is with sad and heavy heart that I must declare my beloved Space Needle II a thing of the past. Those with orders in right now, rest assured they will be filled. But I cannnot be accepting new orders.

On the "bright" side (another pun intended), the Space Module and at least one other full-power 5W mod are being developed, and I also need to keep some Luxeons handy to build those prototypes. Plus if they get popular it means I would once again have to whore myself out and try to locate even more (big) batches of 5W Luxeons (and just when I was gettin' healed up down there!).

So to the over 250 of you who bought Space Needles in the past, a big Thanks, it was fun while it lasted.

I may be able to build one from time to time if you supply the Luxeon for your own Space Needle II request, but that would be on a case by case basis with no guarantees as to resulting brightness or durability. And remember that a V2T is at right about the absolute edge with respect to forward voltage in a direct driven light.

So this particular program is over. But stay tuned for upcoming new shows next season!

Thanks again...

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow Mr Bulk, no more SNIIs? My first direct drive was a SNII! It is a hard act to follow. I'm sure you've got some devious plans up your sleeve /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

kakster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn! I was waiting to get my hands on one of these puppies, and now it looks like ive missed the boat!
Been meaning to buy one for months, now it looks like ill just have to keep an eye out for one to surface on the B/S/T forum.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Actually in working with some of the clever regulators I've had the honor (and new pair of reading glasses) to solder up, and some of the new stuff on the horizon that has been recently revealed to me, I think a regulated light with the same output as a DD SNII is now possible. Add to this the likelihood of significantly smaller packaging, and the prospects look promising indeed.

"The future's so bright, I gotta wear -- shhhhhades..."

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
I think a regulated light with the same output as a DD SNII is now possible. Add to this the likelihood of significantly smaller packaging, and the prospects look promising indeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/drool.gif I think this calls for a dancing bananna.
dancingbananna.gif

jdriller

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
{clip} I think a regulated light with the same output as a DD SNII is now possible. {clip}

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

I think that the new Magic Resistor in the Hotlips package looks very promising with respect to that (maybe even brighter?). But DD'ing is still sooooo much easier...

PeterW

Enlightened
Woah!! Guess I must have some spooky 6th sense when I emailed you at the weekend, charlie. To think, mine will be one of the last of its kind, a sad day indeed. I will have to take extra good care of it.

As night follows day, we all lnow that you will end up making better lights one day.

Cheers

PEterW

PieThatCorner

Enlightened
Hey Charlie-

All the more reason to keep your current avatar running as it is... your SNII is one of my favorite and most-used lights both at work and at home. Makes me wish I would've bought another one... ahh, but at least there's always progress to be found in your garage/office where the Space Needle was born.

Thanks for doing the Space Needle (I & II) series. I can say without any doubt that they have been a CPF favorite. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

-Jim

Kill-O-Zap

Enlightened
So now my already rare purple SN II is going to be even more of a collector's item, cool! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

BTW, a regulated light with SNII output has been possible all along, just use two BB750's in parallel.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
LEDmodMan -- I said small -- the present Magic Resistor thing is huge by comparison. Can you say, "all the brightness of the Space Needle II", in a package the size of a 6P w/Turbohead?

Tests underway soon for a BB750 or big-amp DB regulator to compare maximum collimated output vs SNII.

And why you hijackin' my thread anyway???
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

To the rest a ya's, Thanks 'cept I dunno about that purple one. Collectible? Hmmm...

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack! Just a comment.

WRT the SNII, - I'm just sorry to see an era ending... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif

However, mebbe we're better off if you're not going to be using any more Ontario Aluminum bodies anymore (which funds dem pesky litigators)... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm still hoping for the Assault and Batteries Pack. Make mine black please!

Darkstar

Newly Enlightened
Wahoo!!! Looks like I got mine just in the nick of time. Thanks Charlie, I'm really enjoying it. Now as to this new mod, can we buy futures?

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
LEDmodMan, where one OAB mod user drops off, another will take its place (the one you mentioned in your "hijack" post)...

Wolfen, Assault and Batteries is alive and fully funded, just need to get the first sample now from the (new) machine shop. We were just going for a price reduction from $75 so that everybody could afford one.

Dark, futures commodities will be announced shortly...

StanTeate

Enlightened
Charlie,
I, for one, am getting full use out of my SNII. Use it while working at night locating cable hub sites off the beaten path. The long throw and bright white have proven valuable in the short time I have been the lucky owner. Currently its safely sitting in a light holster meant for the SF 9N. Another special thanks to Charlie for making our lives a lot BRIGHTER.
Given the current status of new SNII's, I am growing concerned about extra parts, like if one component goes bad. Would you consider throwing together a few "Maintenance Kits" for replacement parts? Or would you rather individuals send them back on an as needed basis?