Would You still Buy an Arc AAA Today?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arc-AAA GS - still a classic? Worth buying or should I be happy my E01?

Hi All, Just thinking about the next light to add to my collection and it sounds like the Arc-AAA is a classic on the level of the SF 6P.

I just remember reading that the new lights had some issues with quality and wondering if the Arc-AAA is still a "must have" light, especially with the rise of the Fenix E01 (which is a wonderful light!)... Is Arc going strong after it went out of business and came back? A lifetime warranty is only as good as the company...

Further, in addition to lumen output, how do the CS, DS and GS really compare? $20 price differential is significant for 5 extra lumens IMHO...

Thanks everyone for helping feed my addiction with your advice!

Last edited:

carrot

Flashaholic
Re: Arc-AAA GS - still a classic? Worth buying or should I be happy my E01?

The Arc-AAA is a classic, this is true... but you shouldn't feel obligated to buy something just because it is a classic. The E01 trumps the Arc-AAA in color and runtime and it closely matches the output. But where the Arc-AAA shines is its more solid feel and smaller size, making it better suited to keychain carry. To me the E01 looks absolutely huge compared to the Arc-AAA and I would not put an E01 on my keychain when I have a few Arcs sitting around.

Once upon a time having an Arc was like having a CPF member card but this is no longer the case.

The DS is a significant upgrade over the CS. The GS only marginally better.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast

I still love my Arc AAA-P w/either the DS or the GS. It does not have the same runtime as the E01, but it is brighter and it is built like a tank. I am with Carrot; I wouldn't carry the E01 when I had an Arc nearby. For me, there is something special about it.

I would still recommend it.

By the way, I always bring a AAA light with me when I go backpacking because AAA's are so much more available and if I ever needed to borrow or scrounge for a battery, I would be more likely to find a AAA than a CR123 which is what my primary lights use. I have my AAA-P packed for my trip this coming Saturday; even though I have many E01's and they are fine lights, I still completely trust my AAA-P and it isn't even a hard decision which one to bring.

Maybe, just maybe, somebody will come out with a AAA light of similar or better quality as the AAA-P. I would love to own a 2-level AAA light of similar or better quality than the Arc that didn't overdrive the LED:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Jaygnar

Newly Enlightened

I have the Eo1 and don't see myself buying an arc anytime soon. If I had an arc-aaa already I might use it instead but I don't and I like my Eo1 for around the house.
I do think that arcs are cool lights and kinda classic in their own way and I understand how people still buy them. I was tempted for a long time to get one before the release of the Eo1 but it seemed to me like arc was charging a lot for a little aaa light, even if it was built like a tank. When the Eo1 came out I grabbed one up and thought -"Why did it take so long for somebody to make a light like this that's affordable?"
The choice is yours but to me the two lights are pretty much the same thing and both are too big for keyring duty.
Just my opinion. Hope you find it helpful.:)

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic

I took the Arc off my keychain when my E01 showed up and bumped it. I found them both totally keychain size but that's all personal preference.

The Arc was a CS however and it was time for a brighter light with longer runtime. I didn't throw it away or anything, but still I have no desire to return to Arc at all.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

My old Arc will remain on the keychain. A new E01, however, will bump the E0 from pocket duty. It would be tough for me to shell out the extra bucks for a new Arc at this time.

Geoff

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast

E01 bumped the Arc-AAA DS/GS from my EDC rotation. the Arc is probably tougher and more reliable, but i always carry a backup so im good on that front, and the E01 runtime was worth the swap.

PharmerMike

Newly Enlightened

I am still a fan of the Arc AAA.

I have had two Fenix EO's on my keychain. Both stopped working and had to be returned to Fenix-Store for repair/replacement (I will say that Fenix-Store was VERY responsive and GREAT to work with).

I now have a camo Arc on my keychain and have had no problems. Of all my flashlights, the keychain light gets the most abuse. It gets dropped on driveways, sidewalks, parking lots, warehouse floors. I really have higher expectations for durability from my keychain light than I do from any other light. The Arc does not disappoint.

ViReN

Flashlight Enthusiast

The Arc-AAA is a classic .... I believe it's the worlds first 1AAA light with LED. Arc-AAA GS has legendary legacy backing it. The first version of Arc-AAA came way back in 2001 (or was it 2002). It's brighter than Fenix E01, functional and reliable. When arc went down last time, the AAA was the most sought after light. You could not get it for $150!!!...

On the other hand Fenix E01 is modern light less bright but with excellent runtime.

+1 of Fenix-Store.com Very responsive and great service

Buy both is CPF moto :)

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

I believe if it comes to the end arc would be more reliable, but you'll have to pretty much destroy both for the advantage to show. I keep an arc with lithium cell on my neck chain as last backup, and just ordered a purple e01 as sidekick for my EDC SF L1.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for all your opinions/comments!

I have been more than happy with my E01 on my keyring (used to EDC a P1D so size really isn't an issue for me) - it is a great little light like everyone has mentioned and I'm sure it will serve me for years to come, however, on impulse I decided to pull the trigger on the Arc-AAA GS :sssh:

It seems as though the kinks from earlier in the year have been worked out and, what can I say, I guess I'm a sucker for aggressive knurling :devil:

I just love the feeling of a tank of a light (I can't help but smile whenever I pick up my C2 :rock:) and it seems as though the Arc will deliver on this.

Thanks again!

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

The really need to redo the circuit on the Arc AAAs (dim it back down a little and set it for extra runtime)

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees

I too bumped the Arc AAA DS from my keychain in favor of the E01. Yes, the Arc has the size and weight advantage, but the longer runtime of the E01 made up my mind. I do wish that Fenix had opted for a smaller outer diameter instead of the flats on which to print their name though.

Though the Arc finish is legendary, and mine still had no loss of anodizing when I sold it, I have also been very pleased with the anodizing of my natural finish (olive) E01. Not so for the purple finish of the E01 on my wife's keychain; it looks like it has been through a rock tumbler. :sick2:

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast

Though the Arc finish is legendary, and mine still had no loss of anodizing when I sold it, I have also been very pleased with the anodizing of my natural finish (olive) E01. Not so for the purple finish of the E01 on my wife's keychain; it looks like it has been through a rock tumbler. :sick2:

LOL - I too bought an olive for myself and purple for my wife - with the same results!!! The funny thing is for all the wear and tear on her light compared to mine, I doubt if she's turned the thing on more than twice!

Just read a new thread on a CPFer who just recieved two GSs with serious quality issues and I'm second guessing my order... :confused:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/204490

Also guessing I should have posted this in the Arc forum but didn't know there was one until I saw this thread...

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

EEK! I wish you two had posted before I ordered my purple eo1! :sick2: I thought since all my lights and stuff are black or grey, purple would be nice to break the mono tone, hope it doesn't turn out to be a mistake.:(

h_nu

Enlightened

My Arc is a turquoise LED. I only got it because I was tired of waiting for white to become available during one of the delay periods with the original Arc. I'm used to the green and it is still on my keychain years later. I have brighter lights but the Arc is small and durable.

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast

I love Arcs because they are what got me into the hobby. They fired off the pleasure neurons in my brain, and still do to some degree.

But for about $15 shipped, the E01 is awesome. It supplanted the Arc on my keys, and I have one one the bedside table (along with a T10).

Fenix has really shoved Arc out of the way when it comes to innovation and keeping up with the latest in LED technology. And cost. JMO.

paulr

Flashaholic

The Arc is more of a connoisseur's light, sort of like buying specialty beer at a microbrewery instead of buying Schlitz. I don't think it outcompetes the Fenix in terms of functionality or cost effectiveness (yes it's a little brighter, but it uses more battery power, so that's a functionality tradeoff with preferences in both directions). However, as a user, at least for my personal preferences, the Arc brings me more satisfaction. I like its plain styling and its shape better, I like its CPF-related history, and I like that it's made by a flashaholic in a small operation. I wouldn't describe it as tank-like (I'd reserve that for the CMG Infinity that inspired it) but rather, it is minimalistic and tasteful. It comes across as a tool, where the E01 comes across as a gadget.

The E01 is a nice gift for a non-flashaholic because of its lower cost, its more presentation-like packaging, its lower demands on battery performance, and it's availability in multiple colors. As a flashaholic I bought a couple E01's to give away but I like my many Arcs for myself.

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic

I like my E01.

I love my Arc-P DS.

Simple as that.