Is the real world is the M2S more powerful than the Catapult V2 ?

chipdouglas

Newly Enlightened
I've purchased a Thrunite Catapult V2 and I've recieved it on Friday--I'm a tiny bit disappointed in it. Don't get me wrong, I really like it, but I thought it'd have even better throw. I could be wrong, but I estimate it's throw to be around 200 meters.

Before I pulled the trigger on the Catapult V2, I was looking at the Jetbeam M2S and M1X...mostly the M2S though. I got turned off when I read about the hum it generates, which apparently is quite annoying.
My first impressions were that the beam of the M2S has more of a whitish tint to it, as opposed to the Catapult V2. Though both are rated at 1000 lumens, it appeared to me like the M2S has a more powerful beam for some reason. Am I mistaken ?

Now, I'm a man of extremes, and I'd most definitely get the Olight SR90 and be done with it :p. It's the not the price tag that bugs me, it's the fact that you can't load 18650 in it, or other such batteries for that matter. You have to depend on OEM battery replacement. My point is that, if Olight ever goes out of business for some reason, one might be screwed. So that's why I'm not going to get the Olight SR90.

I've looked at the JetBeam RRT3 last night--in a nutshell it is a beauty and comes in a more convenient size as well. Now, it has the very same SST50 LED my Catapult V2 has, so although it's rated at 1200 lumens, I wonder if there'd be a SIGNIFICANT difference when compared to my Catapult V2--from where I'm sitting, getting the RRT3 would be a waste of money in the sense that it wouldn't be much more powerful than my Catapult V2 actually is.

I find the Catapult V2 doesn't throw far enough. I want something with as decent as spill as the Catapult V2 but with a LOT more throw to spot things far into the distance.

So, what are my options beside the Olight SR90 out there ? There might not be many options I'm afraid, considering I'm also looking at overall quality of flashlights I get.

Thanks a lot all.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I've purchased a Thrunite Catapult V2 and I've recieved it on Friday--I'm a tiny bit disappointed in it. Don't get me wrong, I really like it, but I thought it'd have even better throw. I could be wrong, but I estimate it's throw to be around 200 meters.

Before I pulled the trigger on the Catapult V2, I was looking at the Jetbeam M2S and M1X...mostly the M2S though. I got turned off when I read about the hum it generates, which apparently is quite annoying.
My first impressions were that the beam of the M2S has more of a whitish tint to it, as opposed to the Catapult V2. Though both are rated at 1000 lumens, it appeared to me like the M2S has a more powerful beam for some reason. Am I mistaken ?

Now, I'm a man of extremes, and I'd most definitely get the Olight SR90 and be done with it :p. It's the not the price tag that bugs me, it's the fact that you can't load 18650 in it, or other such batteries for that matter. You have to depend on OEM battery replacement. My point is that, if Olight ever goes out of business for some reason, one might be screwed. So that's why I'm not going to get the Olight SR90.

I've looked at the JetBeam RRT3 last night--in a nutshell it is a beauty and comes in a more convenient size as well. Now, it has the very same SST50 LED my Catapult V2 has, so although it's rated at 1200 lumens, I wonder if there'd be a SIGNIFICANT difference when compared to my Catapult V2--from where I'm sitting, getting the RRT3 would be a waste of money in the sense that it wouldn't be much more powerful than my Catapult V2 actually is.

I find the Catapult V2 doesn't throw far enough. I want something with as decent as spill as the Catapult V2 but with a LOT more throw to spot things far into the distance.

So, what are my options beside the Olight SR90 out there ? There might not be many options I'm afraid, considering I'm also looking at overall quality of flashlights I get.

Thanks a lot all.

Stanley HID costs much less, throws MUCH further.

HIDblue

Enlightened
You might want to wait for the new Olight SR91...a smaller version of the SR90.

Check out the SR91 thread in the CPF Marketplace:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=231500

It's smaller than the SR90 and instead of the SR90's 2,200 lumens, the SR91 claims to spit out 1,500 lumens for over 3 hours.

If you google Olight, they've got some beamshots of the SR91 as well.

kengps

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sure if he didn't want an SR-90 for reasons the OP stated, he will not want a SR-91 either....
The Catapult is not going to be out-thrown by a significant amount by any other light besides the SR-90. For more throw you're going to have to get something with an XR-E R2 in it. Such as Masterpiece Pro 1, or Tiablo A10. You're going to get a much smaller hot-spot, and a lot weaker side-spill too.

Last edited: