ok please help this newbie

raggie33

*the raggedier*
im very new to leds flashlights . igot one at walmart it last like 100 hours battery life/ but what i want is more like 10 or 15 hours but i want it very very bright.what flash light do you recomend. i like the size that fits in hands comfortably

raggie33

*the raggedier*
ty for the info im still mazed at how long my led last now even at its low light we are very happy when we need it after are halogen flashlight dies in 20 minutes.. i been goggleing all day to i fond this forum.. and saw some flash light with a 5 watt led i bet thats bright. but i still aint sure what lumens is or candlepower for that matter,

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
raggie33,
Welcome to CPF! You will get lots of suggestions here. The
brighter the light the less runtime you will get. Would you
give us more info on what you want & how much you want to
spend. The only 5 watt LED that I have is the Surefire L4 &
it is bright, but has a 1 hour runtime(that is bright for
1 hour then dimmer for a while longer). I think a L4 is
about $140. There are also 1 watt luxeon lights that are
very nice, Surefire L1,KL1,KL3, & ARC LSL-S,LSL-P,LSH-S,
LSH-P, & there are others but these are top of the line IMHO
These are all small lights & very high quality. There are
cheaper lights also. It might take you awhile to get over
sticker shock, but if you hang around here you will.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
i want one thats brigter then the brinkman on top of this webpage that im posting link to .i wish it had a name on it and they wont let me link directly to pic bascily for now i just want one brigher then that and if posable one i can by localy and i live in a small town we just have walmart target. and homedepot .but i got the feeling this is something i have to by online but i hope not.
http://www.labsafety.com/store/product_group.asp?dept_id=15027&parent_id=8646

raggie33

*the raggedier*
o and idealy id like it to last a around 10 hours.maybe less i figure when im camping and fishing or car brake down that will get me thru the night no matter what

raggie33

*the raggedier*
this is kinda addictive . i used to colect laterns colman and etc. now thease leds just seems so cool and a worthy tool

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
Go to Quickbeams site & check out these lights.
Princeton Tec Attitude
Princeton Tec Impact
Streamlight 4AA LED ProPolymer
Opalec New Beam

logicnerd411

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
zorba said:
[ QUOTE ]
logicnerd411 said:
Welcome to CPF - watch your wallet...

Dan

[/ QUOTE ]

You can say that again...

[/ QUOTE ]
Welcome to CPF - watch your wallet...

Dan

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think you'll find a "really bright light" that runs 10 hours, unless it uses 6 D cells or something like that.

For a bright 1 watt light, put a sandwich from the Sandwich Shoppe in a Mini-Mag or Brinkmann Legend, $35-45. here:
The Sandwich Shoppe

They are really easy to install, inexpensive, and the shipping prices are reasonable. The MadMax+ Q3L is the brightest from this site. For brighter than these, you will need a 5 watt LED.

If you tell us how you will be using it, we can guide you more easily to a light that will fit your needs.

And, welcome to CPF, by the way...

raggie33

*the raggedier*
to use it for camping and im a nite oll also i always like to be prepared we have had so much bad weather hwere lately power been off a lot. lol and i like new gadgets i feel in love with the led i have now but its light outpit wasnt to good.i liked mag light it would be nice to have one as bright as a 3 d cell mag light but have better batery life if thats poasble i just may get a few of em. btw thank you for the warm welcomes everyone /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BigMac

Enlightened
Welcoime to CPF! This place is addictive. Brighter than a mad sd with better runtime? How about a mag 4d? Just kidding. I know the Princeton Tec PT-40 is suposed to be brighter than the mag but I don't know it's runtime.

jtice

Flashaholic
raggie..
First welcome to CPF.
RUN WHILE YOU CAN! .... In about a month you will be broke and addicted.

From what you are describing, it seems you seed to take shankus's suggestion. Goto the Sandwich Shop and get a MM dropin module. Installs in about 2 minutes flat. and buts out ALOT more light than your Brinkmann led. I have that same Brinkmann light myself.
The MM dropin is ALOT whiter, and ALOT brighter.
You can even buy a kroll switch from the Sandwich Shop to replace the MiniMags tail cap. Then you have a nice clickie on/off.

Other than that... you are going to have to jump up to a 5W led. This will have to go inside a larger light. Such as a 2D, or 2C Mag light.
You will have to get:
1 Mag light
1 heatsink to place the led on.
5W led.
and battery holders to use 3x123 cells, or 6 AA cells.
Themal Epoxy
-- This can reach $100 pretty quick. --- They tipically sell new and built for ~$150

This will require you building the light yourself. So this is alot bigger step then buying one. You CAN buy one already made, but it will cost ALOT more than building one yourself.
NOTE: a 5W led light will only run a couple hours at max brightness, sometimes less. But, it is BRIGHT !!!! It will melt the paint off the walls.

If you are looking for more runtime than brightness... go for the dropin from the Sandwich Shop.

Here are some links that might help you make your choice.
My BeamShot Thread.
The Reviews Thread.
My Review Site.

jtice

Flashaholic
BigMac...
The Tec40 runs for about 3-5 hours.
Real world.. about 2 hours bright.
(not led)

There is a review of it on my site also.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*
raggie33,
Check out Elektrolumens (on the home page)
Anglelux, this is a 1 watt luxeon, 24 hours of bright light
Blaster 1-R, 1 watt luxeon, 24 hours of bright light &
dimming light for a few more days. These are 2D flashlights

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I concur with the guys saying Madmax from the Sandwich Shoppe. I get something like 3 1/2 hours constant on from 1800mAh NimH Rechargable batteries.

Longer run, decently bright for what it is is Princton Tec Attitude 4AAA 3LED.

Longer run still, and nice bright flood of light Streamlight Pro Polymer 3C 10LED (although 4AA 7LED may be better in some respects - but I don't own one).

Another decent Walmart light is the Brinkmann 2D 4LED. It is big and plastic, but feels tough enough! You can choose 2 or 4 LEDs lit. And they say it has a good runtime, but I haven't run mine very long.

Get a good grip on your wallet!!!!!