i need the biggest AAx2 "wow" flashlight

bigfish5

Newly Enlightened
My uncle seems like he may be a closet flashaholic. I had given him a fenix light and he was quit impressed. He lost it and called me telling me about a light he saw in a hunting magazine to replace it . I told him to hold his horses and let me do some research. I was going to tell him to order the eagletac p100a2 for 39.00 bucks , but they are sold out. The eagletac store wants 50.00 for the same light but i though there may be something that is even better for 50bucks. Give me some lights to look at. Thanks for your help.

burpee

Newly Enlightened
I wanted the same "thing" and bought and compared several best of "AA" brands.

If I had it to do over again, I'd consider bumping up to Li-Ion and buy a real search light.

Of course, consider the cost of four batteries and a charger, you'll spend about $100 or more. That's why they call it a "gift."

vudoo

Enlightened
I have a Quark AAx2 that is quite impressive considering at runs on easily obtained AA's.

Is he the type that could use Lithium ions? If yes, ask him if he would like to spend a bit more and get a light that runs on a single CR123 or 18650

entoptics

Enlightened
As far as I know, the brightest 2xAA light is the EagleTac P20A2 MKII. It will run you about $60 though. I purchased one for my Dad from Flashlightsngear.com (good shopping experience), and with the CPF member discount it was just short of $60 shipped.

It's an outstanding light that has a lot of "wow" factor because it's built to throw a bit more than most other offerings, so the hotspot is intense. The spill and transition are still very nice and smooth though. It's a bit bigger than other offerings, but it looks super cool, and is still quite small for it's impressive output on ~3 volts

I had it side by side with a Quark AA2 (also purchased for my Dad), and it is definitely brighter, although not by a whole lot.

Depending on his preferences for user interface and modes, I wouldn't hesitate to buy any of the following. None will be quite as bright as the EagleTac, but all will be so close as to not really matter unless he needs longer throw capability.

1) 4Sevens Quark AA2 - VERY versatile, with lots of modes and interchangeable parts. Smaller than P20A2 - ~$55
2) 4Sevens Quark AA2 Tactical - Different UI and clicky switch to AA2, otherwise the same. ~$55
3) Fenix LD20 - Great build, similar UI and modes to Quark AA. ~$55
4) Quark AA2 Turbo (tactical or regular) - Same as the above Quarks, but with a big head for excellent throw. ~$65

Last edited:

dandism

Enlightened
As far as I know, the brightest 2xAA light is the EagleTac P20A2 MKII. It will run you about $60 though. I purchased one for my Dad from Flashlightsngear.com (good shopping experience), and with the CPF member discount it was just short of $60 shipped.

I think the Regular P20A2 is more impressive since it throws better.

entoptics

Enlightened
I think the Regular P20A2 is more impressive since it throws better.

Only in the smooth reflector from what I understand, and if it's anything like my 1st Gen T20C2, the spill is appalling. Pretty much a light-dark-light-dark bullseye pattern.

Don't get me wrong, I love my smooth reflectored T20, but it's only great for long distance work, and won't impress anyone but a Maglite user when shined on something less than 50 feet away, unless it's ceiling bounced. In other words, no "wow" factor unless you're in bright sunlight and can only see the intense spot, or you're outdoors at long range in the dark.

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd suggest a Fenix TK20. It's heavy and built like a tank so it just feels like quality before you even turn it on. Once it is turned on, it will out throw many 2 AA lights with its tight beam pattern. It is the furthest throwing 2 AA light that I have seen so far. It's not the brightest 2 AA light out there, but remember that brightness doesn't always result in increased throw.

The overall feel of a TK20 will impress just about anyone considering 2 AA lights though.

entoptics

Enlightened
I'd suggest a Fenix TK20. It's heavy and built like a tank so it just feels like quality before you even turn it on...

...The overall feel of a TK20 will impress just about anyone considering 2 AA lights though.

This is a great light by all accounts, but understand that it won't be "shocking" in it's brightness unless it's a long target (even then it won't touch the Quark or EagleTac AAx2 offerings).

Also, it's pretty big. 18650 Li-ion territory. Constant carry is not likely. Depending on your uncle's use though, big may be fine and the TK20 could proudly adorn any lucky man's toolbox, glove box, dresser drawer, etc.

It won't easily travel between though.

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is a great light by all accounts, but understand that it won't be "shocking" in it's brightness unless it's a long target (even then it won't touch the Quark or EagleTac AAx2 offerings).

Also, it's pretty big. 18650 Li-ion territory. Constant carry is not likely. Depending on your uncle's use though, big may be fine and the TK20 could proudly adorn any lucky man's toolbox, glove box, dresser drawer, etc.

It won't easily travel between though.
Are you shure that the tk20 wont touch the quark in throw? I got both. And to my eyes the tk20 (xr-e) outthrows the quark turbo (xp-g). I think the tk20 is more impressive than my quark turbo based on rugedness and throw. The tk20 makes you go wow 2 times. First when you see the thick walls when inserting batteries, second time when you turn it on and you notice that the old Q3 xr-e really can throw.

The beampattern is better on the quark tough, no dark ring around the hotspot. This is where those extra lumens are going.

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
My vote is for the EagleTac P20A2 MkII, with OP reflector. I have a bunch of small tactical lights (pic below). The P20A2 is the one that stays on my nightstand. It is an amazingly bright AA*2 light.

7-edc-lights.jpg

-

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem I have with AA x 2 lights is they will run at reduced power compared to the full AA x 3/ 4.2v input models.

Malkoff devices is releasing a M31 which will change all of that. You will actually get full power from AA x 2 = 280~300 OTF lumens:eek: I will run mine off NiMH AA cells and NiZn AA cells too.

VME bezel, M31, 2 AA body = perfect.

VME bezel and bodies sold here:
http://www.jsburlysflashlights.com/...ff=&pg=cat&ref=valiantconceptsflashlightparts

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
The problem I have with AA x 2 lights is they will run at reduced power compared to the full AA x 3/ 4.2v input models.

Malkoff devices is releasing a M31 which will change all of that. You will actually get full power from AA x 2 = 280~300 OTF lumens:eek: I will run mine off NiMH AA cells and NiZn AA cells too.

http://www.jsburlysflashlights.com/...ff=&pg=cat&ref=valiantconceptsflashlightparts

A SF-C3-M31 set up would be kick a$$.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the EagleTac P20A2, and that is for sure a "wow" flashlight. I got mine online with FREE shipping and it came in pretty quick. What a deal!! Good luck shopping.

red02

Enlightened

Any idea about a release date?

You want Wow? Put a Malkoff M31 into a Surefire C3! Put a sleeve in it to keep the 2xAA batteries from moving and presto. "Wow" is getting expensive these days.

Edit: Oops, after more careful reading I see Kramer6150 beat me too it.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Javelin! With the Dereelight XP-G that comes with it I'd take it over any of the others mentioned here. If your uncle doesn't want silly blinky modes buy the Javelin. It's the only 2 X AA I've seen that blows me away.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can't believe nobody has mentioned the Javelin! With the Dereelight XP-G that comes with it I'd take it over any of the others mentioned here. If your uncle doesn't want silly blinky modes buy the Javelin. It's the only 2 X AA I've seen that blows me away.

I had that one and used it with the solarforce low voltage drop-in too.

They are bright at 200ish OTF lumens, but not full power. It took 3 NiMH AA cells to get that Dereelight Javelin low voltage set-up to hit 300 OTF lumens. Oh and at 4V input it goes direct drive, so it was pulling like 1.8A at the tail.

Malkoff M31 = 300 OTF with normal operating wattage.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Try the Javelin with 2 X L91 Lithium primaries.

BTW, I use a Javelin head with a shorty body and IMR16340 it it does pull 1.8 amps. What of it? It's mad bright and hasn't burned my hand nor toasted the LED yet.

Is the 2 X AA body you suggest for use with the Malkoff drop in the twisty?
Will it work with the 2 level Malkoff ring?

Last edited: