Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LSU1, LSU2, LSU3...

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
We announced the LS4 awhile back and everything was cool. But then SF came out with a product with a similiar sounding name (L4). I am sure they had no desire to confuse things. Both SF and Arc have sequential luxeon series. LS1, LS2, LS3, LS4 vs KL1, KL2, KL3, L1, L4, etc. So it was bound to happen.

But with a similiar sounding name, people may confuse the two products. The L4 is simply using the bigger/brighter concept of so many flashlights before. The LS4 however is a new direction for flashlights with it's force multiplying microprocessor. Micros have been used before in flashlights (HDS Action Light, Technology Associates Eternalight) but never to their full utilitarian potential. This will be the first light to use a digital tempurature sensor for example. One of the most exiting benefits of a micro is the increased power supply efficiency. This sets the LS4 apart.

It would be a shame then if they were thought to be the same light. "Gee Arc's light is dimmer and more expensive. What advantage is that?".

I think because the addition of the uC (microprocessor controler), this new light it a radical departure from previous designs. As such, a new series should be started.

I would like to keep the "LS" moniker if possible. This is a badge of honor for our products because we were the first flashlight manufacturer to sell a Luxeon Star (LS) flashlight. I would also like to keep the name short, ideally 3 characters or less, so it is easier to reference.

What do you think? Should we ignore the potential for confusion? Should we start a new series? Remember we have a 3 watt version planned (LS5) and it will be part of this new series.

Cast your vote:

Thank you for your time.

Peter

monanza

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not to put a damper on things but the above choices don't provide sufficient distinction. Keep it as LS4 if the above options are strictly the only possibilities. I'll vote LS4 later if the above options do not change.

Cheers.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
none of the above, they lack imagination and define nothing.
Arc deserves better , much better, let everyone put on their thinking cap to come up with a good idea. Why don't you have a naming contest, (like Elektrolumens) and offer a free light to the winner. You are bound to wind up with a dazzling list of choices. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

4x4Dragon

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know, I know, im not contributing to the actual poll, but wouldn't something like "Arc-mPC"(Arc-microProcessorControlled) be good yet simple?

ChrisA

Enlightened
Maybe Arc LS Pro - that's short and pretty much to the point. 'Pro' could be a synonym for 'programmable' or 'professional'...

@Hoghead - LOL

Chris

x-ray

Flashlight Enthusiast
marvLS /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I say stick with LS4, changing names now would probably create more confusion.

Also the sort of people who recognize a good flashlight and are willing to pay $100+ have probably done their homework and already know the difference between a L4 and a LS4.

Mim

Newly Enlightened
Arc is such a form follows function operation why not gives names reflecting that? Follow the description subject.

For the LS4 why not "Arc EDC" or "EDC1", "EDC2", etc.?

For the LS5, "Arc Task1", "Task2", etc.

The catalog isn't that extensive so keep it simple or leave it as is.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I'd say keep the "LS4" designation. As long as "Arc" appears in front of it ("Arc LS4") it shouldn't be too easy to confuse with the SureFire L4 or KL4.

Just my 2¢ here.
Your results can and probably will vary.

Likebright

Enlightened
Yep, Arc LS4 works. If anything people may stumble on to it looking for the L4 and like it better. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif
Mike

Ardy

Newly Enlightened
Peter,
since you mentioned Arc (you guys) were the first to sell the Lexion Star, you should keep your originality "LS" and let the folks at SF come up with a new name.

Beside, your flashlights are "connoisseur" type flashlights, most everybody knows about "seiko" or "citizen" or even "rolex" watches, but not many people know about "IWC","Breguet","vacheron" and few others to name here. My point? There is a tight group of people who appreciate a great flashlight (like the folks here in our forum)they know and appreciate an every day tool that is a piece of art, and frankly they're the best advertisement you can ask for.So keep the originality, we're behind you and let the competition worry about it.

Just my 2 cents,
Ardy

BigMac

Enlightened
On most of the dealer web pages, the current LS products show up as LSL and LSH, for low and high dome. I would reccomend another LS(some letter). This way it wold seem more consistent to people seeing it for the first time. I vote for somthing like LSA for LS Adjustable or LS All.

js

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peter,

I agree with others that the options you've given us are lacking. If you want to change the designation then make it indicate its revolutionary use of a uC, or make its name show its new pedigree (I think the "Arc LS Pro" option has potential.)

Otherwise, it'd have to be "stick with original". I will hold off on voting to see if other options appear.

BillM

Newly Enlightened
I suggest calling it the LS-P4. When it gets nicknamed down, it will be called the P4 and that gives you the distinction from L4. It allows you to go on to the LS-P5 without a bump. The P can stand for a variety of things in previous posts.

Just a thought.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.