How satisfied are you with your collection?

nbp

Flashaholic
I have wanted to start a thread like this for awhile, and I hope I can express my point clearly, and without stepping on toes. This is a self-evaluation thread. There is no right or wrong answer, and I hope all can contribute their thoughts honestly.

I realize that as enthusiasts, we are always in search of the latest and greatest. We want to be on the bleeding edge of technology, and we clamor over the newest releases. Flashlights are our hobby; that's what we do.

However, I also think that although some members have phenomenal collections of beautiful lights, and have the means to purchase them without concern, most here are mature enough to realize that money and possessions do not bring true and lasting happiness, and they are not the most important things in life. With the exception of a few members who are here to find lights to fill a need, such as for their work, most of us are just hobbyists, and we collect because we like to.

With that in mind, I'd like to ask you to think for a moment and honestly evaluate yourself: Are you satisfied with your collection? If you had to stop buying/selling/trading right now, how would you feel? Could you do it? Could you keep what you have and be happy? If not, why do you feel that way?

In my case, I think that if I had to be honest, I am pretty satisfied with my collection. You can see it by clicking the link in my sig if you really care. Of course, there are some lights I'd still like to own, but there are many fewer lights I have a desire to buy now than when I first started. I'd like to get some more Milky creations, because Scott does such great work. I'd like more Ra/HDS lights, because Henry's lights are to me the most functional and useful lights I own, and I think he has brilliant ideas. I'd love to own a McGizmo at some point, because I think they're gorgeous lights and I want to see what they're all about. I'd like to try a Muyshondt as well, as I think the UI is great, and the machining is lovely. And there are a few other limited edition lights and rarities I find interesting as well.

But in all reality, I already, at age 23, have more lights than I really need. I have lights to cover every conceivable need, and then some. I have gotten rid of a few that didn't get used much, and replaced them. I think that the lights I have now I am likely to keep. Either they do their job very well, or they're somewhat rare, or I just plain like using them. If I couldn't get another light, I believe I'd do ok with what I have. I really do like the lights I have. Again, the hobbyist in me will keep buying and selling, but the sane, balanced person inside me says that if it came down to it, I am satisfied with what I have.

Sorry for rambling, hopefully it was moderately interesting. I'm just curious about you. How satisfied are you with your collection? Or are you never satisfied? Could you be happy with just what you have? Or do your things define you? Some food for thought. Hope to hear from you. :)

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am more than satisfied, and constantly think I should sell some of my collection off (which I did about 5 months ago... :shakehead) but can't bring myself to it.

The only lights these days that really make me feel the need to buy, are new McGizmo's and new Surefire's.

The rest don't really tickle my fancy and I can live without. :shrug:

I can say though, that my collection is nothing what it used to be... but it is still excessive.

Should I sell a heap? Yes.
Can I decide which ones to sell? No.
Would I be happy after selling them? Yes and no.

:thinking:

I am constantly going through this in my head...

I have recently come to the conclusion that I have some form of obsession over McGizmo's and SF's.
It is a problem, but if it weren't those then it would be something else.
It was once computer/console games, dvd's and cd's.
They all end up just as expenssive...

My focus now though, is on watches :)ohgeez:) and photography :)ohgeez: :ohgeez: :shakehead)
Why do hobbies insist on being so expensive!

:laughing:

I think the problem lies deep within the human brain, with the underlying human issue of attachment and obsession. Everybody suffers from them to some extent with one thing or another.
The main issue is controlling it.

Last edited:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to say great thread idea! I think your intent comes across clearly. I recently did some self eval of this hobby/my collection. I'll edit this post and include my thoughts when I have a minute. (at work now)

So, recently I made a list of "lights I'd like to try/own" and a subsequent list of "conquered lights" which consist of lights that I sought out and purchased. I had about a dozen lights in the "want" category and well over a dozen in the "conquered" list. This gave me a lot of perspective on what I've accomplished thus far in this relatively new to me hobby.

I have a bad habit of ditching hobbies when my interest wanes. However, if I were to stop buying flashlights tomorrow I think I would still remain an active member here. There is so much more to CPF than just pure collecting. There's real community, innovative thoughts/ideas/discussions, and beautiful creations made by very talented individuals.

Am I satisfied with my collection in it's current state? I think so. Mainly I've been buying accessories for my lights to make them more useful. I've been unloading lights that don't get used, or are duplicates of other lights. I definitely want to try out some higher end lights, but I'm not trying to squeeze every penny out of my paychecks to do so. In a conversation I had with my wife she remarked that when I started out I was interested in getting lights to put up on the shelf, and now she can see I'm more interested in buying usable lights.

I guess the bottom line for me is, while I may soon get tired of "collecting" I will never tire of this hobby or the people involved in it. lovecpf

Last edited:

rebelproud

Newly Enlightened
I'm really satisfied. I'm satisfied because I own 6 high quality lights that each fill a speciffic need. There is nothing in my collection that is a duplicate of another light. And, they all get used.

My flashlight collection is the one that I am happiest with. There are other collections that I have, but they all have duplicates or items that don't get used, etc. What makes me more happy with my flashlight collection is that they all serve a purpose and get used effectively, and that is a pretty rewarding feeling.

Barbarian

Enlightened
The short answer is that I am satisfied with my colllection, but on the other hand I am greedy and want more, a lot more.

I think as flashaholics we can sometimes go thru wild swings of wondering why we spend so much money on this "hobby" to the other end of the spectrum where we have no trouble justifying spending large sums of dough on our collection, especially on similar type lights.

Sometimes I think all I really need is about 5-10 flashlights, but then I snap out of my funk and realize 50-60 is a more appropriate number. :devil:

The anticipation and anxiousness of waiting for a new light to arrive at your home is a different sensation (high) in itself and deserves its own thread.

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
Sometimes I feel like I am collecting flashlights, and that my collection is still poor and that I need to get more and more lights to complete it.

Other times I convince myself that I don't collect flashlights, and that I only have them to use them as tools, and start to feel like I've got way too many and should sell off some of them.

It's a constant struggle.... to collect or not to collect.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I am satisfied. My 3 EDC lights (Nautilus, Ti-Pd-S, HDS Clicky) covers all my "moods" of carrying so I feel, complete:). I have been secretly toting aroundthe idea of taking a break once the HDS Headlamp & 2AA body is offered. Just for a little while anyways;).

Lights: check
knives: check
B.O.B: a new bag is my next venture/search
women: been rusty here lately, time to get back in the swing of things;)

Good thread Nick.

P.S.- keychain...Mako, check :D

Retinator

Enlightened
I don't know about everyone being hung on to the bleeding edge.

I'm sure some are very satisfied with incans or other vintage lights. Hell I just bought a pair of Minimag - 2xAAA's just to see what they were like. (Had to get both available colors, silver/black).

I'm more interested in usable lights but sometimes drawn to oddball lights as well (SAKs and 9 volt lights, nothing ultra modern there).

That being said, it's a very big ocean out there. I'm pretty content for the moment, but the more I see, the more I tend to want.

I originally only wanted a few lights for different uses, but now have much more than I anticipated.

A lottery would help cure this disease :)

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am satisfied. I never really would have envisioned EDCs to have evolved to this current performance standard(s). I could die with the original Arc AAA in my pocket...

AlphaZen

Enlightened
Great thread. You read my mind, as I was pondering this topic today. I was asking myself how to justify buying new lights when several of my current ones could fill 99% of my lighting needs.

I came into this hobby, like most of us, wanting ONE really quality light. These things are so impressive and advanced now that once you have a quality light you want to see what else is out there.

I justified my current collection by buying lights that fit into categories that fit different needs. Then I WAS satisfied and quit buying or even posting here for several months. So I do feel my collection is complete to fit my lighting needs, but the hobbiest in me wants more lights, not because I feel incomplete or lacking, but because I enjoy seeing the different offerings. So now I am looking at custom lights and mods and looking to buy an emitter, driver, empty pill and host and semi-making my own light. I think that would be very satisfying and fulfilling.

I would also like to add that many of us are still loking for The One light that has all of the features we want, none that we don't, is the perfect size and has a perfect beam. That is an elusive target as our needs are dynamic. I think this motivation drives many of our collections, as it has mine.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only lights these days that really make me feel the need to buy, are new McGizmo's and new Surefire's.

:devil: Resistance is futile!

Should I sell a heap? Yes.
Can I decide which ones to sell? No.
Would I be happy after selling them? Yes and no.

Same, Yes
Agreed, NO
NO! I'm still kicking myself for selling some good lights not being made anymore.

I have recently come to the conclusion that I have some form of obsession over McGizmo's and SF's.
It is a problem, but if it weren't those then it would be something else.
It was once computer/console games, dvd's and cd's.
They all end up just as expenssive...

Amen to that! :broke:

My focus now though, is on watches :)ohgeez:) and photography :)ohgeez: :ohgeez: :shakehead)
Why do hobbies insist on being so expensive!

Hobbies are expensive. Collecting knifes and multi tools can be equally as fun and well hobbies are expensive! Let's not get started on cameras...:ironic:

I think the problem lies deep within the human brain, with the underlying human issue of attachment and obsession. Everybody suffers from them to some extent with one thing or another.
The main issue is controlling it.
Control...um that's something I need to discuss with the psychiatrist. :eek:

The short answer is that I am satisfied with my colllection, but on the other hand I am greedy and want more, a lot more.

I think as flashaholics we can sometimes go thru wild swings of wondering why we spend so much money on this "hobby" to the other end of the spectrum where we have no trouble justifying spending large sums of dough on our collection, especially on similar type lights.

Sometimes I think all I really need is about 5-10 flashlights, but then I snap out of my funk and realize 50-60 is a more appropriate number. :devil:

The anticipation and anxiousness of waiting for a new light to arrive at your home is a different sensation (high) in itself and deserves its own thread.

CPFer's think alike don't they. Always on the prowl for more lights.

More lights? Certainly, the more, the merrier :devil:

Killer anticipation, surely Indeed!

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm very happy with my current collection and I'd sleep very well if somehow I had to stop buying lights cold turkey. I'm not as die hard into flashlights as most others on CPF and I'm still just getting my feet wet in this hobby, so I'm not as hardcore as others with lots of lights. I have other numerous hobbies that do a quite fine job killing my wallet already. Light-wise, I just have what I need and so far I don't have duplicate lights. That is...until this past weekend when I placed an order for a brand new Fenix TK45.

Oh no...what have I started?! :p

computernut

Enlightened
I'm happy with the lights I have but my wish list is always in the 4-6 light range. I'm at 14 decent lights (9 are Surefires), I'd like to say 20 would be a good point for me but I don't like getting rid of lights so I'm sure my collection will just grow and grow. I did wind up with 4xA2's and I gave one to my brother and traded one for an L4, it was kind of boring having a bunch of lights that were the same. I like collecting lights that are different and that I can use, they might sit on the shelf waiting their turn but they all get used.

If I had to stop collecting I'd live with the lights I have and just buy the odd battery and bulb. If I had to sell them off I'd keep my A/L series Surefires (L1, L2, A2).

I think I have enough 2-cell Surefires, next up are 1-cell and 3or4-cell ones :thumbsup:

carrot

Flashaholic
To be honest, my collection is better than it has ever been. I have reached a point where not that much is interesting to me anymore simply because the lights I own currently are extremely satisfying and fill the important niches (EDC, headlamp, something powerful) so I have bought very little this past year. I'm not interested in pursuing the latest and greatest anymore, nor am I in pursuit of a better EDC (because I have the best).

There are three lights I'm looking to add to fill all the perceived gaps but really everything I have covers all bases. I want an EDC-worthy 1x123 clicky light, which I think the Haiku would fill, my custom designed dual-fuel light which is slated to happen "soon," and something ridiculously powerful and pocketable, like the Maelstrom S12.

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
I consider myself more of a user then a collector but I'm not so sure anymore. No shelf queens here but I am constantly trying to improve my hunting and fishing lights so I have built up a pretty big stash. My guess would be around 60! I'm also a sucker for a good deal so I have a bunch that I don't really use.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you satisfied with your collection? If you had to stop buying/selling/trading right now, how would you feel? Could you do it? Could you keep what you have and be happy? If not, why do you feel that way?

I am satisfied with my collection, I can pretty much find a light to match any task I have with a backup for several tasks.

I have already stopped buying/selling/trading and it doesn't bother me, for the time being I am happy to keep what I have and use them as I feel like.

I have 3 lights suitable for keyring attachment, each runs of 1 x AAA
I have about 4 lights that run from 1 x AA
I have bigger lights right up to 8 x IMR 18650.
I have a couple of Zebralights for when I want flood and hands free.
Whatever I need for the task I have - small, large, incan, LED, flood, throw, etc.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am very satisfied,

Figure I should be, have a bunch of lights piled up over the last few years. My ultraviolet is a Peak 7 LED AA, red is Peak 5 LED AA and dim red is an Arc AAA. Have some Peak AAA/AA lights and one Arc AA laying around in case of emergencies.

Quark Turbo single AA on my bicycle helmet, EagleTac 2AA XP-G R5 light on my bicycle frame provide the amount of light and throw I require. The Nitecore D10 Q5 is still my EDC for over 2 years (a new record!) and my brother-in-law gave me a Streamlight single AAA with clickie for my keychain.

I am content with my lights as I have not purchased any flashlights this year. Does this mean I won't be buying any more lights? No, it just means I am very, very picky about what I purchase and am happy enough to wait for the "must have" light.

Figure the goodies will start rolling in late September and I'm looking for a single AAA keychain light and a monster light. Once Peak gets at least a dual mode AAA light out on the market, I'll jump on that if around 3 lumens low and 100 lumens high.

The monster light I would assume it to be along the lines of Cree's 212 lumen per watt lab type XM series? Throw one of those cooking along at a 1,000 lumens in a 3D sized light with adjustable focus and I'm buying one.

In the past year I've spent $100 on flashlights (Turbo AA2 and single AA body) won the EagleTac and received the Streamlight AAA as a gift. So for the future, I look at the extremes with a durable AAA key chain light and probably an Electrolumens 3D cannon with a big head running a wazoo bin XM Cree.

Egsise

Banned
Are you satisfied with your collection? If you had to stop buying/selling/trading right now, how would you feel? Could you do it? Could you keep what you have and be happy? If not, why do you feel that way?
Yes I'm satisfied, and actually my collection is just a few workhorses that I actually use.
I have 3 headlamps and 6 flashlights, enough that my family feels comfortable when we go hiking or if the power goes out.
My flashlight needs are covered and I have stopped buying more lights, except those 50$ keyring lights and 1xAA cheapos that I give those that need to borrow my lights.

KBobAries

Enlightened
I stumbled across this site not knowing there was anything better than a MagLite. Research here fortunately kept me from simply buying whatever was at Lowe's or Home Depot and instead has led to well thought out purchases. (Mostly ;))

I have to say that I'm quite satisfied since I have most of the bases covered: single/multi cell, AA/AAA/123, incan/led.

I still toy with the idea of buying other lights and see many which would be nice to own but an honest assessment shows that my needs can be met with 2 of the 10 or so lights I own; an LX2 and Ra clicky.

I think the only things missing are a pure flood light and "WOW" light for messing with friends.
At the moment I'm not researching either.

Dan

Moka

Enlightened
If I had to stop tomorrow, I would be happy with my collection... I just got myself the Ti Iris with tops out my Ti collection for each use... I can see myself buying the new Makai as it creates (and fills) a use that I didn't know I had :whistle: lol

I'm sure with the current collection I have, I'd be quite happy if this were it!