? when the FIXED white 5 watt LEDs will be out?

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a few 5 watt LEDs but am not willing to spend any more money on ones that will only last 500-1000 hours. Does anyone have any inside information as to when the fixed 5 watt LEDs will be out? I just can't seem to spend anymore money on LEDs that have a limited existance. Kinda negates the whole reason to pay the expense for LED's at ~$30 a pop.

Anyone have any clue? Thanks!

Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/popcorn.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I should say, when will they be out for the individual sale to ME!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
They are aren't they? - For example: L4

[/ QUOTE ]

This indeed is a very very bold statement ....

But Al, we have been through this before - weren´t we ?
And did someone really tell you that the L4 is using those ?

Last time you questioned me and others when we *speculated* that SF *might* be already using "fixed" parts but that normally only the "portables" are available and that unless told otherwise one could safely assume that SF as well is using those.

At least to me someone in the know said that SF is using what is available right now - which unfortunately is only the "portable" or 1000h part ...... if you are positive on what you had been claiming in this thread we might go back to our sources and ask if we can quote them.

As this is quite important to some this should be clarified IMO

Klaus

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Klaus,

Your point is well taken as I have heard nothing myself of non "portable" 5W LED's. I would point out that Al did not make a bold statement but asked a question with a level of uncertainty. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyway,

If the "non portable" 5W's are being termed "fixed" does this mean that the current LED's are broken? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

- Don

Size15's

Flashaholic
I made an assumption. I do not know whether the L4 uses non "portable" 5W LED's or not. It appears that it does not at this time.

Thanks for clarifying this guys.

Al

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

Anyway, to get back on track of this thread, if anyone knows, or can get the information from Lumileds [or whomever], I'd be grateful. I have a mod platform ready to go, but would like to wait until the 'fixed' ones come out.

koala

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know of anyone have 5 watter fail but I've seen a few dissected! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mecry.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
who cares?
you have a real problem if you put 1000 hours on a flashlight in a few years.
you would have to live in a very dark place to need a flashlight that much.
in a year i expect such an improvement in leds that you will pull that w3 5w and replace it long before it dies.

Size15's

Flashaholic
If you've used the LED that much then surely it has paid for it's replacement may hundreds of times compared to even the best bulbs?

Al

Kurtos

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps for flashlights 1000 hrs is a long time. However if leds are to replace incandescents in markets such as general lighting and automotive the product life must increase. With the way leds are evolving this is sure to become reality.

Personally I have been hesistant to invest in a 5 watt for my uses - bicycle lights. I easily rack up well over 500 hours per year. Plus the efficiency of the led is not that much better then well driven halogens.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Think about what Al said. How much does a replacement incandescent lamp cost? $20? How long does it last? Let's say we got lucky and it lasts 50 hours. That's $400 for 1000 hours of light using Surefire incandescents. Now you'll probably get nowhere near 50 hours on a surefire incan so that's an extremely conservative figure. You can go buy 3 L4's and an Arc LS second for that much and have money left over for a decent bottle of Cab /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
not to mention the failure will be a gradual loss of brightness instead of sudden death like a incandescent.

Kurtos

Newly Enlightened
Yes, when comparing low lifetime bulbs to the 5 watt led your cost analysis comes out on top. Way on top!

However I stated that for my use I did not think the 5 watt was adequate. I figure I would need about 5 to do the job. When I compare the gains vs. the lifetime, cost, consistency/availability etc. I think there are better alternatives, including the use of lower efficiency halogens. I would also discount the use of the mentioned surefire bulbs due to lifetime and cost. Have to use a bulb suited to the task and tac light does not a bike light make.

Personally I'm not anti led. I have made some "be seen" lights with them. I welcome the time where i will shudder to think of using an incandescent to light up the trail.

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
High efficiency MR16 bulbs from like OSRAM (did I mention I do like those IRC´s for any 12x or 24x NiMh use) do beat the 5W LEDs not only in efficiency but also in bulblife. We are talking >20lumens/Watt at thousands of hours though - but there is a tradeoff between bulb life and efficiency obviously. I have to admit this is only true at 20/35/50W and there are no 5W devices I´m aware of in that lifetime/lumen range as with the IRC Osrams. And BTW these are <10 bucks for the average Joe - so the equation for now is lower price, longer bulb life and more output. I think it will need the next generation of LEDs to beat those best halogens - and we are still not talking HID here.

As always these are just my 2 €cents and YMMV

And sorry for OT post /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Klaus

Orion

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where does one find these Osram bulbs? Can you get one in a PR base? Can you get one for 9 volt setups?

But as for the 'longer life' white 5 watt LEDs, I guess no one has the information as to their release date?

Kurtos

Newly Enlightened
Read a member x-cal...something was able to order the osram bulbs from www.lightbulbdepot.com for 8-9 dollars. I was thinking of ordering those to compare with the phillips irc samples i got.

According to the help line the best case scenerio for luxeons would be 50 000 hour lifetime and aiming for end of year release. They didn't have a worse case (never?). I'm sure someone has an inside scoop but is hesitant to speak out. They advise you sign up for lumileds spam..er I mean updates.