Building a BRIGHT Solarforce -AA? 18650?

jrtf83

Newly Enlightened
Sorry to ask such a newb question, but I've searched around to no avail. :crazy:

I'm in the process of building a Solarforce host/dropin combo, and had it narrowed down to the L2R host with a Solarforce 300Lms R2 Cree Led 0.8V-4.2Vd dropin.

Is this is the brightest dropin possible without spending a ton (>$60) of money?

Also, I've heard talk of AA's not being able to produce the same amount of light as 18650s. Is this true? And why is this? Either way I'd go with rechargables, not primaries.

Thanks so much in advance:twothumbs,
Ross

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry to ask such a newb question, but I've searched around to no avail. :crazy:

I'm in the process of building a Solarforce host/dropin combo, and had it narrowed down to the L2R host with a Solarforce 300Lms R2 Cree Led 0.8V-4.2Vd dropin.

Is this is the brightest dropin possible without spending a ton (>$60) of money?

Also, I've heard talk of AA's not being able to produce the same amount of light as 18650s. Is this true? And why is this? Either way I'd go with rechargables, not primaries.

Thanks so much in advance:twothumbs,
Ross
I prefer the Solarforce L2 with a 18650 ... Mine are fitted with the three mode dropins as I wanted three levels of lumens without any strobe or SOS ... I also have a Solarforce L2i which is for three AAA cells ... I have put a 5mm spacer between the head and the body and it now uses a 18650 ... This one will tailstand if needed ... I use a single mode dropin as this is used as a simple house-torch.

One 18650 is about the same as three AAs and a better physical size in my opinion ... AAs are better used singly in something like the iTP A2 , again in my opinion.

My Solarforce dropins cost £8-38 off Ebay.