Need new single AA EDC light. Please help.

northslope

Newly Enlightened
What I have: 1) Fenix LD20 2) ITP EOS (my ITP has some turn on issues...I often have to unsrew the bezel completely and then turn it back for it to go on....This is intermitent)

What I want:
1) Single AA LED
2) With clip
3) Decent throw for hiking
4) Low, low mode (long run time)
5) Prefer button interface but flexible
6) Under $40

*Was looking at the Quark Mini but looks like you have to go with the Tactical version for the clip and the button. Would love the prism but then adds another $20.:crazy:

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I have: 1) Fenix LD20 2) ITP EOS (my ITP has some turn on issues...I often have to unsrew the bezel completely and then turn it back for it to go on....This is intermitent)

What I want:
1) Single AA LED
2) With clip
3) Decent throw for hiking
4) Low, low mode (long run time)
5) Prefer button interface but flexible
6) Under $40

*Was looking at the Quark Mini but looks like you have to go with the Tactical version for the clip and the button. Would love the prism but then adds another $20.:crazy:

You should be able to cure your ITP problem easy enough,do a search on here and you will get some ideas,my A1 is fine now and my A3 was ok straight from the box.

On my A1 I cleaned the threads,applied some silicone grease and stretched the base spring a little.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you checked out ITP's other lights? They might have something else up your alley. I also think the quark mini isn't a bad choice either.

jag-engr

Enlightened
See if you can pick up a used Nitecore D10 or Quark AA from the MarketPlace for $40. You probably won't be able to, though. :crazy:

Well if you can swing another $10-15 I'd say Zebralight SC50W.

+1 This would meet all your criteria and likely exceed your expectations, but you will have to come up with more cash.

BarryG

Enlightened
My brother has one each of the ITP SA1 and SA2. Batteryjunction has them for 39.95 before discount. He has been pleased with both and uses the nightly at work. He leans toward the SA@ because of the longer runtime.

If you can stretch you budget, I have been happy with my Jetbeam Jet-1 Pro V.3. BOG has them for 56 after discount.

Barry

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about jetbeam's jet I pro v3? very good throw for its size, neutral tint option (better for outdoors imho)
low mode of 2 lumens, jetbeam's infinite brightness setting interface.
2-way pocket clip. really bright on 14500 li-ion cells.

price is about $55 though, but very worth the extra few bucks.

quark AA is about the same price too, with a low mode of 0.2 lumens! also has SOS, strobe and beacon mode, just in case for your night hikes:D
quark is also very bright on 14500 li-ion.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about jetbeam's jet I pro v3? very good throw for its size, neutral tint option (better for outdoors imho)
low mode of 2 lumens, jetbeam's infinite brightness setting interface.
2-way pocket clip. really bright on 14500 li-ion cells.

price is about $55 though, but very worth the extra few bucks.

quark AA is about the same price too, with a low mode of 0.2 lumens! also has SOS, strobe and beacon mode, just in case for your night hikes:D
quark is also very bright on 14500 li-ion.

+1 on both these lights

I was just about to recommend these two, the Jet-I Pro is my favorite AA light and is a very good thrower. Both are programmable (Quark AA Tactical) so you can set the low to whatever you want. Great light's to run 14500 for awesome output but they also do well on AA NiMh or lithium.

northslope

Newly Enlightened
OP

I see that 4Sevens sells a "Quark Clip" for $5. Does that fit on the mini? I would go with the Mini (despite no button) if it had a clip.

PS: Must be a Single AA light.

Xak

Enlightened
Get a Quark AA with the R2 LED. They are still available and at a discount. The R2 throws better than the new XPGs, are bright as hell, and plenty efficient.

Quension

Newly Enlightened
The AA R2s are long sold out, and the only low-voltage R2 heads left are 123s with the permanent clip attached. Not ideal future AA body lego material, even ignoring the price issue.

northslope, I think you're getting a bit mixed up with the Quarks; the regular Quark line has all the accessories and pieces (bodies, clips, prisms, etc), but the MiNis stand on their own. Each MiNi version is specifically sized to its battery and doesn't have any extra interchangeable components. There are no official clips for them, although I believe some people have adapted clips from elsewhere to work.

Still, the MiNis are less throwy than the regular Quarks, and the current versions are all XP-Gs. What do you think of your XP-E ITP in that regard? It'd help figure out what you need in a new light.

Xak

Enlightened
The AA R2s are long sold out, and the only low-voltage R2 heads left are 123s with the permanent clip attached. Not ideal future AA body lego material, even ignoring the price issue.

northslope, I think you're getting a bit mixed up with the Quarks; the regular Quark line has all the accessories and pieces (bodies, clips, prisms, etc), but the MiNis stand on their own. Each MiNi version is specifically sized to its battery and doesn't have any extra interchangeable components. There are no official clips for them, although I believe some people have adapted clips from elsewhere to work.

Still, the MiNis are less throwy than the regular Quarks, and the current versions are all XP-Gs. What do you think of your XP-E ITP in that regard? It'd help figure out what you need in a new light.

You are right.

Sorry.

entoptics

Enlightened
I always try to stay within budget with my advice, but I'm tending to agree with others and strongly suggest you up your budget by about $15. I know that's a lot, but think of it as 4 starbucks or microbrews, or a nickel a day for a year.

At the ~$55 price point (delivered), you have several OUTSTANDING, high quality choices that fit your general needs, with enough subtle differences among them to fill just any preference. All of them should provide excellent service for several years.

I'm on peasants wages, so I understand if it won't fly, but you're criteria are tough to fulfill @ $40, especially from a dealer with reputable customer service.

As for your EOS, have you contacted iTP? They seam to be pretty helpful, and will likely sort you out.

Latest posts