New Guy saying Hello and have a ??

Jbrew

Newly Enlightened
I am just getting into good flashlights.Bought way to many cheap ones. Currently use a Rayovac 2AA 3W bought at WalMart. Have been telling my wife for a few years all I ever wanted was a good pocket knife, have that now, and a good flashlight. She would always sigh and say whatever. SO I am have a few ideas of what I want but figured asking the experts would be better. My requirements are:
Strobe
Clicky tailcap
1 or 2 AA batteries
$50-$75 limit

Been looking alot at the Fenix LD10+ and LD20.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Links are helpful too as I am a NOOB

red02

Enlightened

Those requirements can fit a number of lights, not just Quark.

Quark AA/AA2
Fenix LD10/20
Eagletac P100A2
Eagletac P20A2
http://www.illuminationgear.com/14322/index.html
Dereelight Javelin
http://flashlightconnection.com/Der...n/Dereelight-Javelin-3S-XP-G-R5-LED-p283.html
Surefire G2+AN14+XPG Dropin
Olight I20

http://www.light-reviews.com/reviews_aa.html
-about another 30, 40 lights that meet your requirements.

entoptics

Enlightened
As red mentioned, you're criteria are pretty general.

Some helpful information that would get you better advice is...

1) Will it be regularly carried on your person (EDC = Every Day Carry)? 1xAA will be better for this. Even some of them are big enough to get in the way when carried constantly.

2) Do you need a very low brightness setting? For example, the LD10/20 lights have low settings that are too bright for some folks. Not good for map reading, stealthy bathroom/kitchen trips, etc.

3) Do you want a floody light for best performance at "indoor" distances (under 10 yds), or a throwy light for best performance at longer "outdoor" distances (30-75 yds).

4) Do you want lots of versatile modes or just a couple of simple modes?

Jbrew

Newly Enlightened
As red mentioned, you're criteria are pretty general.

Some helpful information that would get you better advice is...

1) Will it be regularly carried on your person (EDC = Every Day Carry)? 1xAA will be better for this. Even some of them are big enough to get in the way when carried constantly. Yes an EDC light

2) Do you need a very low brightness setting? For example, the LD10/20 lights have low settings that are too bright for some folks. Not good for map reading, stealthy bathroom/kitchen trips, etc. Would be helpful

3) Do you want a floody light for best performance at "indoor" distances (under 10 yds), or a throwy light for best performance at longer "outdoor" distances (30-75 yds). Throwy or adjustable, if possible

4) Do you want lots of versatile modes or just a couple of simple modes?Unsure on that one
My responses in Orange and thanks for the help.

BarryG

Enlightened
Ihave a Jetbeam Jet-1 Pro V.3 that I like. My wife carries an Inova X1 and a Quark AA regular. My brother has one each of the ITP SA1 and SA2. All but the SA2 are single AA.

Inova X1 about $20 at Target
ITP's about $40 from Battery Junction
Jetbeam is $56 after discount from Bugoutgearusa
and Quark is $57 at 4sevens

My favorites are the Jetbeam and the Quark. Both will accept 14500.

Barry

Jbrew

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all. Quark AA Tactical is what I am seriously considering now.

Last edited:

Enlightened
I am just getting into good flashlights.Bought way to many cheap ones. Currently use a Rayovac 2AA 3W bought at WalMart. Have been telling my wife for a few years all I ever wanted was a good pocket knife, have that now, and a good flashlight. She would always sigh and say whatever. SO I am have a few ideas of what I want but figured asking the experts would be better. My requirements are:
Strobe
Clicky tailcap
1 or 2 AA batteries
$50-$75 limit

Been looking alot at the Fenix LD10+ and LD20.

Any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Links are helpful too as I am a NOOB

You won't regret a Fenix light. It's a great place for a noob to start. It's a great baseline.

Mark

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 for quark AA tactical or regular and jetbeam jet I pro v3.

get both, quark AA for flood, jetbeam for throw.:D

definitely check out zebralight's H501 and SC50.

welcome to CPF!

photonstorm

Newly Enlightened
My first decent light was the Fenix LD20. Great light with a nice balance of throw and flood. Good UI and very reliable. The Fenix LD20 is slightly longer than the Quark 2AA.

If changing battery formats later (single AA, CR123, 18650) is one of your goals than get the Quark since its more versatile. The Quark also has the R5 emitter which is slightly more efficient. The warranty is also better with the 4sevens Quark.
Can't go wrong with either.
You can always buy both and sell off the one you like least.

Read the reviews for this class and you may find something that will be a deal breaker or deal maker.

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=214890

Good Luck.

dandruff

Enlightened
Welcome to the forum. enjoy your light and try not to be overwhelmed by the wealth of information and temptations here:)

BarryG

Enlightened
Congrats on starting a new and expensive hobby!!!
Ask yourself,"would I spend over $100 on a light?". If you say no you might have a little hope, if you say yes, it's too late!

The Quark is a great light and you won't be disappointed.
Now, whadda you gonna get next?!

Barry

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good choice! Then close your account and run away from here! Your wallet will thank you. BTW, welcome to CPF!

Jbrew

Newly Enlightened
Waiting impatiently now for it to get here. I am sure I will buy more lights, my 9 y.o. son loves flashlights as much, if not more than me. Being a hunter and Webelos leader, I need to rely on it 100%. Thanks again for all the help from everyone.

knightrider

Enlightened
Just ordered a Quark Tactical AA. Can't wait til it gets here.:twothumbs:twothumbs

Cool! Great choice, you'll love it.

Nice avatar. Is that a Peregrine Falcon? I did a report on them years and years ago. Very fast diving bird. Fastest animal on the planet.

The Peregrine Falcon is often stated to be the fastest animal on the planet in its hunting dive, the stoop,[5] which involves soaring to a great height and then diving steeply at speeds commonly said to be over 320 km/h (200 mph), and hitting one wing of its prey so as not to harm itself on impact.[4] A study testing the flight physics of an "ideal falcon" found a theoretical speed limit at 400 km/h (250 mph) for low altitude flight and 625 km/h (390 mph) for high altitude flight.[45] In 2005, Ken Franklin recorded a falcon stooping at a top speed of 389 km/h (242 mph).

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waiting impatiently now for it to get here. I am sure I will buy more lights, my 9 y.o. son loves flashlights as much, if not more than me. Being a hunter and Webelos leader, I need to rely on it 100%. Thanks again for all the help from everyone.

Check out all you can about using Li-Ion in the AA size it's the 14500, you will get a good boost in output using it.

Jbrew

Newly Enlightened
knightrider, yes it is. Have a pair of them tattooed on me, my favorite tat. Would've had another but I bought a flashlight instead.:grin2: