Woohoo!!!!Typhoon= Power outage for the next 72 hours!!

mikevelarde

Enlightened
A typhoon had left Manila about 15 hours ago and leaving behind the whole LUZON island without power!! strong wind have uprooted tree that struck power lines and poles.According to power utilities, it will take 72 hours to restore the power for the whole LUZON island!!Time to get all my hotwires out !!

labrat

Enlightened
Congratulations!?
After a disaster episode leaving many people dead?
I am seriously starting to question the lack of general intelligence of some people here!

dhouseng

Newly Enlightened
Congratulations!?
After a disaster episode leaving many people dead?
I am seriously starting to question the lack of general intelligence of some people here!

Power outage makes people die? I do agree with you that some people here lack general intelligence :)

Larbo

Enlightened
Power outage makes people die? I do agree with you that some people here lack general intelligence :)

Congrats on the power outage!
A simple power outage doesnt kill people, stupidity does. If you cant listen to the warnings and either leave to area or PLAN AHEAD for the storms (that happen every year), consider it population control.

scout24

Flashaholic
Best wishes for no loss of life and minimal disruption of lives there. That said, we want a report on how it goes! What gets used, what works and what doesn't. Be careful!

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
Best wishes for no loss of life and minimal disruption of lives there. That said, we want a report on how it goes! What gets used, what works and what doesn't. Be careful!

I'm sure we will get a report once everything settles down.

Power Outage = every flashaholics dream.
Power Outage for 72 hours? = AWESOME! Bring out the big guns! :devil:

If there ever was a case of "flashlight wars" I am reasonably sure our light arsenals could beat most of our neighbors lights.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
A typhoon had left Manila about 15 hours ago and leaving behind the whole LUZON island without power!! strong wind have uprooted tree that struck power lines and poles.According to power utilities, it will take 72 hours to restore the power for the whole LUZON island!!Time to get all my hotwires out !!

How are you posting now if you don't have power? :confused: Cell phone and 3G?

Captain Spaulding

Enlightened
Ive been hoping for a power outage since finding this site a year ago.

Thats it!

Im just not gonna pay the power bill next month! Self induced power outage, why havent I thought of this before??!!

labrat

Enlightened

I will refrain from comments about your intelligence, I believe your comment says enough.

Congrats on the power outage!
A simple power outage doesnt kill people, stupidity does. If you cant listen to the warnings and either leave to area or PLAN AHEAD for the storms (that happen every year), consider it population control.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100714/ap_on_re_as/as_asia_typhoon

Government agencies did not understand how bad it was going to be, so proper warnings was not sent.

http://www.philippinestyphoon.org/

A recurring incidence, every year, and sadly those who suffer every time are the ones that does not have too much resources from before.
This time foreigners also took a loss:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/8190225.stm

Last edited:

labrat

Enlightened
Ive been hoping for a power outage since finding this site a year ago.

Thats it!

Im just not gonna pay the power bill next month! Self induced power outage, why havent I thought of this before??!!

Your idea is definitive better than this:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-...opical-storm-in-pacific-near-philippines.html

But don't your house have switches for the lights and electricity?

I am sorry for a little bit of ranting here.
But the first posts just brought up some really bad feelings about some peoples complete stupidity and lack of abilities to think before they post!
I realize having a dark period, a completely dark period, is fun some times!
Especially when you have an interest in devices producing light, and the dark period is limited and not connected with a nature or other disaster.
I have experienced here short periods of complete darkness because of power transformer errors, thunder, or heavy winds bringing down electricity lines.
But they don't set your or other peoples life in jeopardy!
If they do, it is mostly due to an accident or some action brought on by themselves.
But civilization is still here, the world goes on, and after a limited time, power and lights are back!
I even have one of my best memories from Thailand, from Koh Samui, when the whole island was cut off from power all night because of a fire in a main transformer on the mainland.
I spent the whole night at the beach, no noise from the hotels or the discos, only the waves making noise,only the moon lighting up the surroundings.
And a Surefire light!
The next morning, power was back, some had to clean out some dripping freezers!
But else everything was back to normal.
But this thing in the Philippines is a disaster!
And those posters making comments about it completely unaware or without any clues?
I am sorry, sometimes I find the too easy access for too stupid people to make too bad comments a bad thing!
Internet is good, but sometimes the lack of control is not.
This is not only in here, read some of the comments in the links too!

DM51

Flashaholic
Labrat, I understand the point you are making, but I think you have over-reacted a little here.

People were applauding the power going out, not the reason for it going out. A power outage is fun for CPFers; obviously nobody is trying to say the typhoon that caused it is fun.

mikevelarde

Enlightened
UPDATE 4:30AM 07/15/2010

power was restored here where I lived in 22 hours!! some parts of Manila is still without power as of this moment!!

and hotwire was not advisable in close quarter use inside the house.they are simply too bright !!!

the M60L and maratac AAA on low was use quite a lot!!!:D the lumens of the AAA on low is sufficient to navigate around the house.and they made a great night light during power outage!

I have a standby electric generator running on diesel fuel that can provide full power requirement.:thumbsup:

fishinfool

Enlightened
Typhoons........boy, those were the good ole days. Living in Baguio back then and during a typhoon, no school and no electricity. :twothumbs All we we had were a bunch of candles. :candle: