Ray-O-Vac LED flashlights?

pepperbelly

Newly Enlightened
I was in Grainger's today and saw a Ray-O-Vac LED flashlight. It was a 4w 3-cell light rated at 180 lumens.
I have also seen a smaller light, 2-AA batteries, that was 3w and either 80 or 100 lumens.

Are these good to go, or are there issues with them?
If someone has one, how is the beam/throw?
Both are under $50.00.

Jim

fishinfool

Enlightened
I was in Grainger's today and saw a Ray-O-Vac LED flashlight. It was a 4w 3-cell light rated at 180 lumens.
I have also seen a smaller light, 2-AA batteries, that was 3w and either 80 or 100 lumens.

Are these good to go, or are there issues with them?
If someone has one, how is the beam/throw?
Both are under $50.00.

Jim

I have a Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme EZ Focus (2AA-100 lumens) and it's actually a really nice led flashlight. It's not the brightest I own but it's not too bad for $35. I bought it because I didn't have an adjustable light and this one had the EZ-Focus feature which goes from Spot to flood just by twisting head. I use it around the house and haven't had any problems with it since I bought it over 3 months ago.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I used to own the Sportsman's Xtreme 2AA, 3watt, model rated at 80 lumens.

The lumens rating is at the emitter. Not out the front, where it counts. Still it was one of the best 2AA lights I ever owned. I gave it away to a young soldier who went off to war. AA and CR123 cells are common as dirt over there. Also, the U.I. is identical to the Surefire G2 that the troops get trained with. For some stupid reason, they don't get to keep the lights. If they do get issued a flashlight, it's often an old angle-head that is nothing like a Surefire G2. The Rayovac model is ironically a good AA substitute for the G2.

If I wasn't unemployed, I'd buy another 3watt model.

arioch

Enlightened
If you are referrring to the Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme 4W (3C) LED, then I have one. They are okay lights, but they are about 3 years old, and somewhat outdated.

They have recently (this year) "updated" their lumens count for the model (used to be rated at 150 lumens; now claiming 180), but they look exactly the same body wise (not sure if they upgraded Cree emitter, or just got creative with their lumens count).

I liked the body style (C size and weight seems better for carrying around). I did not like the reverse clicky. Brightness was very nice at the time (2007), but brighter stuff is out now. Throw was good at the time, but Maglite with rebel and other similar lights outthrow it now. Defocusing (floodlight) creates rings of Saturn.

They are readily available now at other b&m retailers in the low to mid $30's (Sears, Ace Hardware).

Use the search function here at CPF; "Rayovac Sportsman Xtreme 4W LED" should bring you results on the 3C model.

Both the 2AA and 3C versions are solid lights with no (IIRC) serious issues with them, but if you are on a budget for lights as I am, you might want to do a little more shopping/research before plunking down your bucks, as there are other similar/better lights in that price range.

Good hunting. :)

syncytial

Newly Enlightened
The new 180 lumen version of the 3C Sportsman Extreme appears to trade slightly higher output for somewhat reduced runtime. The new one also has two levels of output.

I've seen it at Walmart here (non-US) for about $25. I'll probably pick one up to add to the collection of trunk-beater lights I carry.

I really like the 300 lumen lantern, as apparently do a lot of others, based on the reviews at Amazon, as well as CPF. All-in-all, the Rayovac products aren't super sophisticated, but they appear to deliver good performance and runtime while being adequately reliable. A pretty decent value.

- Syncytial.

fishx65

Enlightened
The 3C is a very rugged torch. Good thrower, bright and runs a really long time on 3 C's. My two have proven very durable over the last three years. Pretty hefty design that could be used to wack a rabid racoon off your leg.

pepperbelly

Newly Enlightened
I found the 4w 150 lumen 3 cell light at my local Ace hardware for $31.00. For that cheap I will get one just to have.

Jim

fishx65

Enlightened
The new 180 lumen version of the 3C Sportsman Extreme appears to trade slightly higher output for somewhat reduced runtime. The new one also has two levels of output.

I've seen it at Walmart here (non-US) for about $25. I'll probably pick one up to add to the collection of trunk-beater lights I carry.

I really like the 300 lumen lantern, as apparently do a lot of others, based on the reviews at Amazon, as well as CPF. All-in-all, the Rayovac products aren't super sophisticated, but they appear to deliver good performance and runtime while being adequately reliable. A pretty decent value.

- Syncytial.

Have not seen the 2-mode 180 lumen edition here in the U.S. or on Rayovac's website. The older model runs so long I'm not sure I would need two modes. I run both of mine on AA Duraloops which makes them a lot lighter.

weymouth7

Newly Enlightened
Just got my new 180 lumen 3C in the mail. It was a warranty replacement for the old 150 lumen model I purchased a few years back. The old one finally died after years of abuse from my kids (and me). Apparently they have a lifetime warranty and Rayovac was true to its word. The new one does have a low/high setting - it drove me nuts for a while because I thought the light was not turning off when I clicked it. The rubber grip is vastly improved from the old one and feels like it's part of the unit instead of a rubber sleeve. The light is nice and white and I'm looking forward to taking it camping this weekend in Va.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
I have a few of the Rayovac 2AA Sportsman flashlights, both the 1 watt and the 3 watt models. They are really nice flashlights. Look nice. Twisty switch. Good brightness, etc. The one thing that I don't like about them is that when the battery voltage (alkaline, NMH, doesn't make any difference) gets down to a certain point the flashlights just turn off without warning. No period of diminishing brightness at all. In my opinion, it is unforgivable for a flashlight to do that. You should have at least 5 minutes of diminishing brightness before shutdown. Would give you enouigh time to find a replacement battery. It would be bad if you had a power outtage and you were walking down a flight of stairs when your emergency light shuts down without warning. :thumbsdow

secarob

Newly Enlightened
I have both the single mode and the newer 2 mode, both are really good lights. The 2 mode has more of a white tint to it not to say that the 1 mode is bad at all. As far as runtime they must have some sort of hidden nuclear power source because both still have the original batteries in them.

Both have outstanding throw