motor bike headlight

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, boca.

We have an automotive section which might be a better place for this thread, but I'll leave it here for now as you are discussing a build/modification for off-road use.

Depending on how the responses go, I may move the thread later for you if required.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys
I was wondering if, with the bulb shown x3. I could connect up to a 7.4 v power supply and it would work as a head light for a paddock basher motor bike headlight.Would a simple toggle switch work ok.What would you guys recommend .Could it work with the bikes 6volt lead acid Battery which is hook up to the alternator http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330450457673&_trkparms=tab=Watching

That LED has a driver that wants power supplied at 3.7 to 12v - you're ok. You'll want about an amp per LED to have some headroom.

At 6v you'll get about 250 lumens from each LED, but that'll drop some from heating and the reflector losses - count on 180 lumens per emitter.

Speaking of heat, you have to take heat away from the LED. This can be as simple as a block of finned metal with right-size holes in it. It'll have to be sized for the LED heat though.

Will this do what you want? You'll get about 420 lumens with 3 separate hotspots that you'd have to aim individually.

boca

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for that if I up the power to 11.1v via rc lipo battery 4000mah would this be be ok what drain on the battery should I expect with the 3 lights running.Any other light reflector say 1 spot and 2x orange peel for a larger spread of light.(Sorry about all the ????)