Help me decide on a new EDC.

Ropes4u

Newly Enlightened
As mentioned earlier my beloved LOP CE died and I need a new EDC light. I have a love for AAA lights on my keychain but I am willing to go a AA in my pocket.

I also carry a L1S, TK40 and headlight in my EDC bag so a AAA makes the most sense, if there can be any found in my reasoning.

I have been considering the below lights, any suggestions or recommendations?

Peak Eiger - Power 6 medium beam
Fenix E01 - $12 bargain
Fenix LD01 - is this worth
Martac SU - beautiful copper

LD15
Nitecore D10 SP
Quark Mini AA

As always Thank You for the help..

fishx65

Enlightened
I've been looking to pick up a little aaa myself. So far, it looks like the Maratac or ITP EOS. I kinda like the looks of the Maratac a little better.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
I love my Maratac AAA and ITP A3 EOS Stainless Steel! Great little lights!:thumbsup:

May I also recommend the JetBeam Jet 1 Pro v3 or RRT-0? THe RRT-0 is a bit longer than other 1xAA lights but I love the control ring and the ability to use various AA and 123 sized cells (w/AA extender).

joe1512

Enlightened
I like the itp A1 with an RCR123. Over 200 lumens of output, 3 modes, doesn't come on in my pocket. Shorter but fatter than a AA.

Also check out the illuminaTi. Its about 50 bucks for a titanium AAA with an XP-G for more brightness and efficiency at very low weight.

BarryG

Enlightened
I carry my IlluminaTi everyday as a backup to my Jet-1 Pro. Good runtime and brightness with lithiums or rechargeables.

Barry

sappyg

Enlightened
I've been looking to pick up a little aaa myself. So far, it looks like the Maratac or ITP EOS. I kinda like the looks of the Maratac a little better.

i don't think these can be beat for price/ feature set.

check out the preon line also. it's a great little light but nearly twice the price of the ITP's

AlphaZen

Enlightened
My vote is for the Q Mini AA. It fits in the front pocket perfectly as well as in the hand. I found the EOS A3 too small for changing modes with one hand, and the Q Mini AA just right. Throw a 14500 in it and it's tough to beat.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know if you're in a hurry to get your new EDC, but I'll be posting a review on the LD15 (final production model) sometime next week. You might want to consult it before making a final decision.

forklift

Newly Enlightened
If you're looking for a AAA EDC, I highly recommend a Quark Preon - just bought a Preon 2 for my Dad - 160 lumen.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still keep L0D CE's on all of our key chains. I have an LD01 as well, and it will go on a key chain if one of the older ones ever dies. They haven't changed much over the years, and they've served their purpose well. Other than needing a cleaning occasionally (failed to light for my wife once because of this), they've been rock solid.

The price/performance of the MaraTac and iTP are tough to pass up, but I don't trust the lanyard ring on the MaraTac and don't like the attachment point on the iTP.

The Fenix E01 is decent for what it is, but I don't think I could justify buying another given the price of the MaraTac and iTP.

I love the extra features of the LiteFlux LF2XT, and I carry one frequently, but mine have been a little flaky (nothing I couldn't fix, but issues pop up more often than I like), and I've never felt comfortable enough with it to replace the Fenix light on my key chain.

I'm not impressed with Preon. It puts out a nice beam but it feels cheap - much more so than even the MaraTac.

I don't really see the point of moving to a AA for key chain duty. The current crop of AAA lights is more than adequate.

joe1512

Enlightened

nativecajun

Newly Enlightened
Hands down for simplicity, qualityfor dollar, and a great light 4sevens I do not think can be beat. I own a very differnt style light than you want. I have their Quark Mini CR2. So small but when you put it on high and shine it in the trees you would swear you have a search light in your hands.

For your AAA I do not think their preon can be beat.I do not know if they make a mini in AAA but for the AA I know they make a Quark Mini AA which I know would serve you well. But as far as your fenix you mentioned, the EO1 that is a very nice light I have one. Good for general camping and walking around in the dark but not very bright. Depends on what you want. I would be careful of the 12 what ever price. Check the shipping cost. When you buy direct from Fenix they ship for free. And I believe that light is still about fifteen or exactly fifteen on the Fenix site. And they ship for free. So I would sugest comparing if you have to pay shipping on the 12 dollar one.

Of course there are many great lights in AA and AAA. I own a Maratac AAA in stainless. I own a 4sevens preon AAA in yellow. I would highly suggest the preon. I like it way more than the Maratac. The preon opens on default low and the maratac opens on default medium. I prefer the low med high much better then the other. The Preon is Extreemly bright on high and of course you have three setting to choose from. I think it is the best quality light in that price range that can be bought. I love my yellow one. Beautiful dressy type clip or you can take that off and replace it with the supplied o-ring type device that has a hole on the outside so you can put a small ring on it and attach it to your keys. Again I am very very impressed with its feel and quality. That surface may look slippery in the photo with no knurling but I can assure you what ever it is they have on their it almost has a rubbery type feel and is not slippery at all.

My two cents.