Polishing my Peak lights.................

MarNav1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not exactly sure if this is the right place or not. Polishing my brass Peaks and I was wondering if anybody had some tips for the thread area's and around the LED area's too. I have a couple that are really nasty in the thread area. I'm using Wenol and it seems OK. Just use the ol M16 cleaning brush? :ohgeez:

Last edited:

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
that should do just fine. let me see if i can locate the following thread.....

imgp4924v.jpg

Last edited:

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
You might want to ask Peak what alloy they use and what they recommend for polishing. If it's normal (leaded) brass it may start with a clear coating that you'd want to restore. They will know, and may have changed their alloy at some point since this problem with machining brass became well known a decade ago.

http://meixatech.com/keylead.pdf
"Gunshot residue samplers from suspects in shooting cases should not be reported as having particles "consistent" with gunshot residue when the only particles found are lead. It is likely that lead particles from keys are ubiquitous in our environment, especially on hands...."

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Grease always seems to get dirty and nasty over time. How brass threads INSIDE A FLASHLIGHT get that way is simply beyond me. It's akin to finding ants or roaches in a refrigerator. Curt recommends Locktite C5-A Copper Based anti-seize paste, and this is particularly yucky stuff, although perhaps no more so than any other grease.

I clean my brass threads with a stiff brush and paper towels - doubt that these will really wear away very much thread in my lifetime (but who knows?). I stay away from the windshield unless the bugs get really bad in which case I toil away with toothpicks.

Peak uses no coating on their brass lights.