Noob introduction - s2beam

s2beam

Newly Enlightened
Hi All.

A year or so ago (actually, I don't recall how long ago that was) I saw a 3w LED 2xAA light (coleman) in the local wal mart. It looked interesting, so I bought it. I threw it in the truck, flashed it around a few times at night, and there it resided. Off and on (I live in a very rural area) I used it here and there, found it rock solid, reliable (it has not been babied:), and bright.<!> Anyway, over the winter the thing has proven to be so doggone useful that I tinkered around and read a bit here and there, and bought a 2xAAA streamlight stylus pro for EDC. Nice light. Just right for what I need it for. Big enough for me to actually use (I'm a klutz), small enough to ride in a pocket without distraction. Not a lot of light, but enough for 95% of my situations.

Then disaster hit. I was at the local army surplus store and played with some streamlights. I don't need another light. You can see what's coming. Earlier this week I went back to the store and bought a Stratum. It seems to be differently labeled - no "S2" on it, so it may be a first run model, or they just changed the labeling, or something. Regardless, it doesn't matter.

Well. Now I have 3 calibers of batteries to support (I hate that problem in weapons). I like the streamlight just fine, BUT it is a pain to carry (what's it been, 3 days?:)). No lanyard loop. Too big for a pocket. No pouch. You get the idea - solvable problems, but not solved yet. For now, the streamlight is in the truck with the coleman.

Pretty much every day I am outside evenings until dark (did I mention rural area?) I have a farm and a day job, so the farm work is never done. It's fine, I enjoy being outside - so I anticipate the streamlight moving into more of an every evening carry as the days grow shorter this fall.

I have noob questions though - I guess everyone does, so I will appreciate your patience with them.

1) the RC123A battery cost problem - I have read quite a bit about this on the forums, and read extensively here about rechargeables (do's and don'ts). I have not been able to find much info on my light though, to determine what my long term options are for (if) moving to a rechargeable option. Any ideas where I can find tech info on the emitter in my light and the controlling circuit?

2) the body of the light problem - I have only slightly thought about what would be involved in making a replacement battery tube. I prefer the knurled feel to what I currently have. I bought the light because of the low-med-high action of the switch, the beam, and the quality of the light. Other things (un-knurled body, for example) were less important to me. Any advice for features machined into a new body tube, should I decide to dive in a make a prototype or two? Are there hidden pitfalls here? I don't want to jack around with the light head itself, and I am assuming that the entire head is self contained and screws onto an empty battery tube.

Looking forward to any and all comments. Thanks again for all the good posts - I've enjoyed reading here for quite a few hours over the last few weeks.

joe1512

Enlightened
Normally a light will either give you an input voltage range (like 3.0 to 6.0 volts which would indicate CR123s only), or specify several types of batteries.

In your case, looking up the Stratum it does not do so. Nor could I find any threads about the stratum and RCR123s.

Since it uses 2 CR123s, the voltage difference will be up to 2.4 volts vs CR123 (6v vs max of 4.2vx2 = 8.4). That means unless it is meant to use RCR123s, it will not work.

It is surprising really. I guess they figure if you can afford a Surefire, then you can afford 5 dollar batteries to burn through.

I have heard there are some rechargable CR123s that are actually 3 volts. Unfortunatley I don't know much about them. Asking at the Batteryes Included forum here is the way to go.

Any way you can take back the Stratum? You gotta stop buying lights at the store also. 160 lumens is quite easy to get in a much cheaper light around the same size.

Take a look at this one:
http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_19&products_id=377

Same size, similar output, but note that it takes Rechargable CR123s too! And its 40 bucks..

You could also get a 2xAA version with similar output which will be longer but skinnier. That would eliminate some of the battery-mismatch problem too.

A final alternative is to buy your CR123s in bulk. You can get em online for about 1 dollar each. www.batteryjunction.com is one place to look as well as Amazon.

s2beam

Newly Enlightened
Hi Joe1512.

Thanks for your reply.

I did some reading about the rechargeable batteries elsewhere on CPF, and while it is great reading, and very informative, I'm not ready to do anything rash just yet about purchasing any given solution for my light.

That iTP light is nice, do you have one? I looked over the Streamlight PT 2AA. (it was there, I was walking by, but I didn't bring it home).

I've got a lot to learn (ok, who doesn't?:)) I'm growing quite fond of the surefire - I don't think I'll return it (even if I could). However, I do like the idea of a programmable light. Crazy talk, I know....

On the battery question - at this point I don't use a light enough to make a rechargeable solution a mandate. But I do intend to buy the 123 primaries online because the cost is simply ridiculous at brick and mortar stores. I think here the per-battery cost is around 3.50 after tax.

joe1512

Enlightened
I dont have that particular light.

I have bought:
2 itp A6 polestars for my dad/in-law.
2 itp A3 EOS SS which came in the A6 pack.
1 itp A1 EoS SS which I use as a keychain light with RCR123.

So I am quite comfortable recommending itp for high quality and reasonable price. Search here for the model to find reviews. Here is one thread:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/266073

----

Keep in mind that the surefire is likely your first decent light. Therefore it seems amazing compared to other crap. However, I still advocate returning it due to the battery problem. You could always exchange it for a different surefire that uses AAs too. It should have the same output and you can use Eneloops and buy an AA charger. Then you can use the rechargables around the house for other things too.

Not only are rechargables more cost effective (eventually), but you can top off your light at ANY time! Otherwise you have to guesstimate how much runtime they have before they poop out. Or you have to toss half-dead batteries away regularly which is a waste. Its more green too for what that's worth.