Which lights to take to PVA Bass Tournament

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
I'll be supporting the PVA Bass Tournament and need suggestion on which lights to bring with me. Originally, I was going to buy a Fenix TK30 but I think it won't arrive on time. The event will take place on the weekend of 23-25 July and I am leaving on the 23th to go there. My responsibilities are listed below:

1) Setup food and supply around 1 a.m. to 3 a.m. in pit black
2) Direct truck/boat trailer traffic to parking spots from 4 a.m. to 7 a.m. (there is no lights in the parking lot because it was never meant to be used during dark hours)

Therefore, I need to go with what I have.

1) Surefire 6P LED
Pro: Comfortable, light, very bright, recentable running time
Con: No lanyard, no loop, no holster, requires a to hold constantly or put in pocket, which could scratch its lense, no flash mode

2) Maglight 2D LED
Pro: Extremely long running time (I left it running for 28 hrs and it's still bright and running on a set of old D battery), very long throw and wide even beam to show the area without blinding people
Con: Big and cumbersome, no flash mode

3) Maglight 2AA LED
Pro: Very bright with reasonable throw, flash mode, decent run time and can carry spare easily
Con: No lanyard on new model, twisty mode selection requires going through all modes instead a knob selection

4) Night light rechargable
Pro: Very bright without much throw (more a a glow stick), rechargeable in a car with adapter, very good flash mode
Con: May not survive a drop to the pavement, no lanyard

5) Homemade super bright LED headlamp setup (without a headband)
Pro: Great to set on table to provide a wide glow of brightness
Con: Very fragile design

I know I need to have at least 2 lights, one for use and one for backup. I am thinking #5 is good for setting up the food and I can also use it to direct traffic. I'll use my Surefire as backup. Actually, I want to bring my Surefire just to show off because there were many people with those big incandescent flashlight that barely shine anything. Of course, I want the Fenix TK30 but it probably won't get here on time. I am also thinking about getting those utility light from Lowes for 10 dollars. It runs off 500 W bulb and I can plug it into my car power inverter to provide lighting for the food tables.

Unfortunately, there isn't any light store around here beside Gander to buy good lights. Gander price is high and poor selection; only Surefire, Streamlight, and some cheap knock-offs. I am willing to pay more for a Fenix TK30 if Gander carries it. Anyone knows a store that have fast delivery that doesn't cost a lot.

I want to be the kid with the cool light.

Last edited:

Burgess

Flashaholic
FYI . . . .

The "newest" new Mini-Maglite (Rebel emitter, multi-mode)
does INDEED have a lanyard hole in the tail-cap. :thumbsup:

Got a couple of 'em (on sale) at Home Depot, before Christmas.

At the Great Price of $ 9.88 each ! :kiss:

Good Luck to you this weekend.

:cool:
_

nick__45

Newly Enlightened
Mine does not. It came with the 2D LED Maglight. And I am not buying another Maglight Mini that does that same thing.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi, you could get the TK30 from 4sevens (remember to use the code "CPF8" when checking out) and spend more to upgrade the shipping so that it will reach you quicker.