• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired FS:Surefire L2 Digital Lumamax with SST-50!

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all :wave:,

I just finished up my latest project this evening. On the block tonight is my Surefire L2 modded with a top bin SST-50. This light is in excellent condition and has a great finish from tip to tail, only marks I can find are very tiny. Anyway on with the show.:popcorn:

The L2 comes equipped with a belt clip and a lanyard ring.

Lets take a peak a the new super powered light engine.

These heads come with a beefy heat sink stock which supports the new emitter quite well. These tiny emitters boast an astounding 600 lumens driven at the 1.7A spec.

The business end.

With its new outfit this light bathes the surrounding area in a beautiful 6500K cool white light.

The L2 has a factory 2 stage twisty tail cap with momentary on for high and low modes. This head could also be utilized with an L4 body and 1x 17670 cell, or with L1 and an IMR 16340.

EDIT: Ok guys ready for some beam shots??

I didn't have another stock L series head around so I used the next best thing.

First up to bat Surefire A2 Aviator WH leds/incan on high.

Next the L2 with SST-50 head on LOW.

And finaly L2 SST-50 on TURBO.

:eek:

Outside this light casts a beam as soft as Egyptian silk. Not only is it bright, but useful too. The edge of the beam crests higher than a Missouri oak tree, and reaches easily into the darkness for 80+ yards.

This wonderful light can be yours for only 169$ Shipped.

pp is vesture_of_blood(@)hotmail.com

Last edited:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Looks like a stellar build and a great price to boot!

EDIT: Any chance of beamshots?

Last edited:

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow. Looks like a stellar build and a great price to boot!

Thank you for saying so ninemm
More pictures of the heatsink please:D

bigchelis, that is actually the only pic I have of it. I didn't really plan any kind of a build thread for this one.

They are fairly basic. The factory sink is about 5-6mm thick, and the pcb adds another 1mm to that, and the transfer is pretty good with these.

The only real modification to the base that is needed is you have to machine down the top of the sink, or fill in the hole that was cut for the factory emitter. I filled the hole with an aluminum alloy weld, and smoothed off the top, that way there is no reduction in the size of the heat sink.

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
vestureofblood = :thumbsup:

Got a XP-G M@G 3C and it truly shows his great modding skills!

This light is quite tempting. Must resist!

maxspeeds

Flashlight Enthusiast
This looks like an awesome build! I can't believe it's still here. I normally mod my own lights, but I'm very tempted to purchase this one

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Trying to picture this. The L2, comes standard with a circuit in the body, not the head. You have replaced the LED with the SST-50, and are using the original circuit in the body, and the head can be used on an L4 body? Or, are you putting a circuit in the head, and gutted the circuit in the L2 body, what then did you do with the extra space in the L2 body. Just confused a little. Thinking about it again, SST-50 LED, original circuit in L2 body, two CR123's for 1.7A's to LED, and head can be run direct drive in an L4 body with one Li-Ion? How did you get the 1.7A's to the LED with original circuit? I know I am missing something here.

Bill

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Trying to picture this. The L2, comes standard with a circuit in the body, not the head. You have replaced the LED with the SST-50, and are using the original circuit in the body, and the head can be used on an L4 body? Or, are you putting a circuit in the head, and gutted the circuit in the L2 body, what then did you do with the extra space in the L2 body. Just confused a little. Thinking about it again, SST-50 LED, original circuit in L2 body, two CR123's for 1.7A's to LED, and head can be run direct drive in an L4 body with one Li-Ion? How did you get the 1.7A's to the LED with original circuit? I know I am missing something here.

Bill

Hi Bill, I will clarify.

The head of this light is direct drive. The L2 body contains the circuit board enabling it to use 2 primary cells. This is the body I used to take the beam shots above.

I have also used the head with my L4 body. This body will fit the 17670 cell and simply direct drives the head. I dont have an L1, but I do have a single cell vital gear body. I put the head on this body with a single IMR 16340 and this is a great combination too. :)

So 2 primary cells without some sort of resistance would be a bad thing?
:poof:

Sgt. LED,
That would be a little hard on it.

vestureofblood

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any way to run it on rechargeables?:thinking:

Hi DeLighted,

The problem is that I am not sure what the voltage limit of the surefire driver in the body of this light is. I have put 2 IMRs in it to see if it would work, but I dont know what long term use of this would do. I ran it for a little bit on two rechargeables and the led of course did fine, and the tail spring did not get hot ( that can happen when you overload a driver), but I have never found any info on the voltage limit of the driver. I just assumed that surefires were designed to run on primary cells.

You could also put the head on a different body and use 1x li-ion. I have used it on an L4 body with 1x 17670, and on a vital gear body with 1x IMR 16340.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
From what I understand, the stock L2 driver is a boost driver, taking the ~5V from 2xCR123 up to ~6.4V for the LuxV in the original L2. I know virtually nothing of the SST-50, but I am currently in the process of modding my L2 to 2s2p MC-E and did some background research in this regard. (There is relevant information on this in various supporting links supplied in my thread.)

The genius of using the SF L2 as a mod platform is that the stock boost driver happily runs off of 2x CR123 or 1x 17670 and provides ~ 6 - 6.5v to the LED, giving you the ability to run on lithium primaries or a single (large) LiIon rechargeable. It's a great choice.

Again, I'm not familiar with this build, but the stock driver in the L2 sounds like it is perfect for this. The various SF bodies are different as to whether they are able to take the width of 1x17670, but if so, this sounds like an excellent option.

I think that 2xRCR123 / 2xIMR123 would be a poor alternate option - potentially overvolting either the driver and/or the emitter. 1x17670 provides ~45% more watt-hours than 2xRCR123 for the same overall length, and even contains slightly more w-h than 2xCR123 primaries.

Anyone, please feel free to correct me on anything here, as I am in the process of learning about this myself.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
K, the L2 is driven harder than the KL4 (Lux 5), and presents a not too perfect runtime in regulation. See Seans runtime graphs (I will look for them and provide link if need be) for the L2 and it has a sloping downward runtime with two CR123's, its best feature being the two stage mode with the nice boost high for temporary use. You may need a nice low vf like the Lux V WxxS bin to get better regulation using the MC-E, particularly using one 17670 in a bored L2 body.

Bill

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Yeah, I originally wrote "at optimum" in my earlier post this morning but edited it out. :) I know that the L2 regulation isn't flat with the LuxV emitter, but IIRC the rather flat discharge curve of the 17670 would at least be some advantage in this situation. Perhaps not quite the same level of output compared to 2x CR123, but overall a very nice configuration IMO.

It does sound like the L2 driver is rather flexible, I had no idea that it might be a good match to the SST-50 as well.

Last edited:

Latest posts