New style Mag switch mods/resistance fix

Mettee

Enlightened
On one of the last lights I built I encountered the new style switch and had to make a working positive contact. The new metal spring that is in these switches will not work with flat top cells. This is just a evolution of that previous method I used of the brass screw, and it incorporates a few additional features. This one is just a prototype myself and a buddy worked out. Feel free to tell me what you think, we may even have a few made and plated and offer them here if there is demand.

Rebel LED version of the new style
DSC00363.jpg

Contact bottom view
DSC00366.jpg

Contact inside view, pill held in place by clip.
DSC00367.jpg

Pill outside the housing. Will later have cuts along the top inside part to allow it to drop in. This one required drilling out material and I want to avoid that on the final design. The pill will also have a hole drilled into it to allow a wire to be soldered directly to it. It will be parallel to the shoulder cuts at the top as far as I can tell now that will allow the best routing for wire.
DSC00370.jpg

Let me know what you think...

drew

Last edited:

mrartillery

Enlightened
Looks good. For the new style switches Ive been soldering the tower spring to the bottom contact (after I cut it down to just a couple rounds). Not really a resistance fix but it does solve the problem of flat top cell contact.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's Beautiful! Nice Work!

You could also make a low profile contact on the switch side for the TaskLED momentary switch mods, to isolate the Battery "+" contact from the switch. Maybe just leave a small hole to insert and solder the wire to bypass the switch.

Mettee

Enlightened
Aircraft please explain what you mean, I did plan on making a hole in the copper to allow a solder point as stated above. Did you mean something else?

Or maybe you had another idea of a direction it could be routed...

I am currently making some changes to the part so I can take pictures of it for different configurations, such as momentary switch mods. I will rout the wires the way I figured on doing them and if you can, tell me what you all think.