• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired SOLD: Custom XP-G for R123A

saltytri

Enlightened

$425 conus

This light is a little different in that it combines a rather small battery and body tube with a large and deep reflector. The CR123 seemed like a good place to start for size but I prefer to use rechargeables so the AW R123A was chosen. The photo below includes an AW 18650 for scale.

The tail cap and crenelated bezel are stainless steel turned to a very fine finish. My lathe has power feed, which makes all the difference in getting a smooth surface because the tool bit can be fed across the work at a slow and even rate.

The body was powder coated with a dark gray called "Cast Iron" that nicely complements the stainless. To insure adhesion, the body was blasted with 220 grit aluminum oxide and pre-baked, with several careful cleanings along the way.

The flange on the reflector was cut down to minimize the diameter of the head. The cylindrical section at the back was also turned to a smooth finish that is a close slip fit in the body for good heat transfer.

I didn't like the aluminum pill that came with the reflector so a piece of brass was chucked up and turned into a nicer pill to host the cool white XP-G R5 emitter.

The driver is a three-level ShiningBeam #1219. The wires were replaced with Teflon. The current draws are 1.15A on High, 296mA on Medium and 50mA on Low.

The body started out as a piece of 6061 solid bar. The first step was to drill out the center.

A smooth bore was run through the body and used as the reference for concentricity. The outside diameter of the body was then turned to make a smooth blank for all that followed.

The threads for the tail cap were made to establish the point from which the length of the body could be determined to accommodate the battery and the reflector.

Threads could then be cut for the bezel...

...which, like the tail cap, was turned out of a solid bar of 416 stainless steel. Using stainless makes for a lot more work than if aluminum were used but the result is worth it. An effort was made to minimize the amount of material in the stainless parts in order to avoid unnecessary weight.

The three major pieces were trial-fit with the switch, battery, light engine and reflector before moving on to the final shaping.

All operations were done on the lathe except for the crenelations, the grip ring and the flats on the body, all of which require a mill and rotary table.

A Fenix switch was used because it allowed the shortest possible length. These have worked out well in the Fenix lights I've got and in other custom applications.

The interior of the body received the same attention to finish as the rest of the light.

Ready for final assembly, at last.

4799993139_a1f2212f05_z.jpg

Beamshots to follow...

Last edited:

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Custom XP-G for R123A

Wow. Darn straight you'll take it ledcarry! :eek: What a beauty!!!! Everywhere you look there is awesomeness. Great build!

saltytri

Enlightened

Holy Smokes, JM, that was fast! Thanks so much. I assume that you liked the last one. :)

ledcarry

Enlightened

Hey David,

I am totally impressed with your work. :thumbsup: I just sent you a regular email requesting some info.

Thanks,

JM

F250XLT

Flashlight Enthusiast

Oh boy, my wallet is getting nervous......GREAT work.

warx23

Enlightened

Wow.. that is a great looking light!
:thumbsup:

calebra

Banned

i have some serious brass by this man, nothing comes close to it!:thumbsup:

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast

Beautiful work....but just a bit outta my price range.

saltytri

Enlightened
Do we still get to see some beamshots of the BEAUTIFUL Flashlight even after it was sold?

Here are some indoor shots. No outdoor shots tonight. The local bear was helping himself to the garbage can a little while ago so I'm staying inside tonight. Living in the woods has its ups and downs.

These two shots are taken two stops apart. There's a lot of hot spot. :devil:

easilyled

Flashaholic
Stunning .... like all your work.

Reminds me a little of the style of the "Griffin" that was made by CPFer "Ganp"

I think it would also look very attractive with matching Brass/Alu-Bronze tailcap and Bezel-ring on either end whilst retaining the "cast-iron" Aluminium body.

black bolt

Newly Enlightened
Darn bears for delaying those outdoor beamshots! Anyways thanks for the ones you were able to post. My congrats goes out to Ledcarry on the purchase of this specially created flashlight, and also the Creator.

saltytri

Enlightened
I've always thought that the Ganp Griffin is at the head of the class - it's design is absolutely elegant. Mine does look a lot like it but with a larger head.

IMG_5134-1.jpg

That bit about brass or alu bronze....you're gonna get me started. :thinking:

calebra

Banned
I've always thought that the Ganp Griffin is at the head of the class - it's design is absolutely elegant. Mine does look a lot like it but with a larger head.

IMG_5134-1.jpg

That bit about brass or alu bronze....you're gonna get me started. :thinking:
I'm in if ur up to another brass (griffen)

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Saltytri,

:bow::bow::bow:

It is absolutely amazing to be a part of a community with so much talents...

How about just a hint of brass?

img2329small.jpg

img2331small.jpg

:whistle:

Latest posts