I have this idea...

jacktheclipper

Enlightened
I have this expandable colander that I use to steam vegetables .
It fits together kind of like a camera shutter and it can expand to fit different sized pots .

What if a flashlight reflector can be made to operate in the same way so that the depth of the reflector can be tuned and therefore the depth of throw?

Or has this been done before or is currently being used ?

If so , please pardon my ignorance :shrug:

Just an idea...

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
it certainly possible, thou i don't see why you need it, every reflector is made around light source, changing curvature of reflector means you can adjust it to different sources, but imo it is too complicated for something that can be simple.
if you goal is to make a foldable one, just to save space, than photo, and video pro use umbrella type folding reflector, basically an regular umbrella with reflective surface inside.

also space satellites use folding solar panels, similar to your steamer.
have you seen predator??? that dude had coolest folding burner.

jacktheclipper

Enlightened
I think that the segmented suface of such a reflector would also act as a beam smoother kind of like an orange peel effect . The change in the depth could be accomplished with a twisty style U.I. Additionally , if the individual panels of the reflector were designed to deform - say with pressure from the bottom - the beam could be really fine tuned .

Again , just an idea...

nbp

Flashaholic
I can't imagine the beam quality would be too good though, with the "seams" where the individual pieces slid against one another. :shrug:

jacktheclipper

Enlightened
it certainly possible, thou i don't see why you need it, every reflector is made around light source, changing curvature of reflector means you can adjust it to different sources, but imo it is too complicated for something that can be simple.
if you goal is to make a foldable one, just to save space, than photo, and video pro use umbrella type folding reflector, basically an regular umbrella with reflective surface inside.

also space satellites use folding solar panels, similar to your steamer.
have you seen predator??? that dude had coolest folding burner.

Yes , Predator 1 was the best , but I want tomorrow's technology today...
Also , I hope that if I happen to meet an alien , that it will give me either a fighting chance or at least a head start...

lightfooted

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly I don't think it will work, while it may seem to with the size of the colander...a light reflector has different requirements. The focal length would be off and because the reflective pieces would rub against one another, I don't think it would be reflective enough to create a beam.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
I've had the colander idea for some time; I would agree that the beam wouldn't be perfect, but it'd better better than a Mag, and probably better than most other focusable lights (since this design doesn't move the LED in or out of the reflector, you're always getting 100% of the output regardless of where the focus is set). The only catch would be the size of the head, it'd have to be both wide and tall so that the reflector would have room to expand/contract fully, but otherwise it's an idea I still like..

Latest posts