Peak Eiger & Arc AAA Size Comparisons

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
These two lights - in their lug bodied configurations - share some common characteristics in terms of form, although they are entirely different lights.

Bodies. The first Arc AAA bodies and heads were manufactured by the folks at Peak. The bodies of these two lights are very nearly identical in all dimensions. Eiger is maybe .5mm longer, but you have to look hard to see this difference. Both Arc & Eiger bodies are of exactly the same diameter.

DSC00208-1.jpg

Arc AAA & SS Peak Eiger

Heads. The heads are quite different. Aft of the O-ring, the length including the threaded portion and positive battery contact is about the same - but this depends on the condition of the solder blob on the Arc, which can be smashed down with use. Eigers have an unmashable brass button for the positive battery contact, and a fixed internal depth that seems to be just about exactly equal to that of the Arc when new/unmashed. When the Arc solder is mashed flat, the Arc ends up about 2mm shorter than the Eiger, allowing the head to screw down further into the body and shortening the overall length. On the other hand, I've got a few 10440's that are considerably longer than most AAA's and some other 10440's, and the added length of these makes the Eiger (which can accept LiIon's) appear that much longer than the Arc.

There are huge differences forward of the O-ring. The Eiger with original wide beam head is only about 1mm longer than the Arc. The Eiger medium and narrow are almost 6mm longer than the Arc. [Note that a new Eiger wide optic is in production and this uses the same head as the medium and narrow Eigers.]

DSC00213-1.jpg

HAIII Arc, SS Eiger Wide, Brass Eiger Medium

DSC00211-1.jpg

Arc AAA, Eiger Wide, Eiger Medium

The forward exposed portion of all Eiger heads is actually about 1mm larger in outside diameter than the Arc. Oddly, the Eigers appear much larger in diameter because of the Eiger optic and trim ring on the one hand, and because of the recessed 5mm and tapered forward edge on the later Arc heads. The greater apparent diameter may also be due in part to the effect of the flats on the Eiger which make it appear more massive. Photographic technique (or lack thereof) also distorts the diameter by poorly chosen angles which give undue weight to length, color and light.

DSC00220-1.jpg

Arc & Eiger Medium

Schuey2002

Enlightened
Thanks for posting this comparison between the two... :thumbsup:

I think a Peak Eiger will be my next AAA light. Now which configuration to choose.. :(

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Didn't realize they were so close in size. Thanks for posting this. :)

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a first generation Arc and my Eiger head fits on it without problem - the threads are the same. It is so small and lightweight when in aluminum pocket body with an Energizer lithium cell.