Is there a quick and easy way to archive email?

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
We have both gmail and outlook express emails. So far, gmail hasn't been too much of a problem, but the outlook express addys are accessed through WebMail, and the main mailbox is getting too full. Is there a quick and easy way to archive old emails to free up more space on the account?

I Googled "archive email," but so much info came up, I couldn't tell what was good, bad or indifferent. Do any of you have favorite programs or ways to save your emails?

Sorry to be such an ignoramus, computer stuff is not my forte. Thanks for any replies...strictly in very easy, non-tech terms, please!

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
We have both gmail and outlook express emails. So far, gmail hasn't been too much of a problem, but the outlook express addys are accessed through WebMail, and the main mailbox is getting too full. Is there a quick and easy way to archive old emails to free up more space on the account?

I Googled "archive email," but so much info came up, I couldn't tell what was good, bad or indifferent. Do any of you have favorite programs or ways to save your emails?

Sorry to be such an ignoramus, computer stuff is not my forte. Thanks for any replies...strictly in very easy, non-tech terms, please!

I use GMail Keeper which allows you to backup however many accounts you have, and however often you want. If you like free version, unlimited version is $20.

For Outlook Express, I just use the free OE version in Windows with the setting to delete original on website server after downloaded, then I just backup the OE folders to an external USB2 Hard Drive

If I'm understanding correctly that you are just using the webmail (i.e. earthlink type account), that's not really Outlook Express, so I'm confused what you mean. But I think in general, to get emails off the non-gmail webmail site you have to setup a POP3 OE account pulling it to your hard drive.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux Luthor, thanks very much for the reply!

The POP3 accounts were originally set up on Outlook Express, so I assumed that they were Outlook Express emails. I stand corrected. Thanks also for the link. Haven't had a chance to study it yet, but it looks simple enough (I hope) for even non-techs like me.

I've tried saving emails to a flash drive, but must be doing something wrong, for after savings the files, I couldn't go back and open them up (from the flash drive). Keeping my fingers, toes and eyes crossed that I can figure this out. Thanks again!

Newly Enlightened
You should try to determine if you are accesing your webmail through POP3 or IMAP.

If you are using IMAP, you will need to find a way to copy them off the server before deleting them in Outlook Express. If you delete them now, they disappear forever. Try searching for offline IMAP Outlook Express or archive IMAP Outlook Express. Make sure you put Express in because MS Outlook is an entirely different program.

calebra

Banned
just add a folder and call it Archive, drag each email there and there u go.

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm actually going to expand on this a bit, and recommend Flashfan back-up his entire profile from time to time. A lot of people don't do this, and it's a good idea because by default all your important junk, including Outlook Express .DBX files reside in there.

Otherwise, dragging online Mail to the offline archive folder as per what calebra said should work fine.

I did a corporate migration this past spring where the average user had anywhere from 5 to 30 gigs of offline Outlook .PSTs, which were such a joy to copy.

Latest posts