Streamlight Twin-Task 51010

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Does anyone who owns one of these lights know if the xenon bulb can be removed/accessed easily? I was looking into purchasing one of these mainly for the dual UV led wavelength (black version), but I did notice something interesting about the stock xenon bulb. According to the manufacturers specs here (pdf file) the xenon bulb is rated at 3.6v @ 0.9A. I'm assuming since its a multi-mode light that the xenon bulb is being driven by a multimode driver. Is that assumption correct?

Since the voltage of the stock xenon bulb is close to the typical driving voltage of a LED I was thinking it might be a good canidate for a LED swap to a XR-E or a SSC P4. I know the beam profile wouldn't be the greatest in the stock reflector due to the six uv led's sticking out, but it would be better IMO than the xenon bulb.

LED4LYF

Newly Enlightened
I had an older twin task, the one with three leds on the outside and a xenon bulb in the middle. The xenon bulb was removable and I think it had a small driver in it. Other than that don't really know much more.:confused:

LilKevin715

Enlightened
I got the light in and it looks like its a no-go for a LED mod:(. The stock bi-pin xenon bulb was easy enough to access and take out. However there are two issues: heatsinking and LED voltage.

The hole in the reflector for the xenon bulb is the perfect size for a XR-E... however it would not be a easy task to try and heatsink the emitter. Also the xenon bulb is directly driven (3 X C cells), so a buck circuit would have to be used. I wasn't able to get the black plastic module out that houses the LED's. Without good heatsinking its pretty pointless to try and mod the xenon to a LED.

The build quality of the light is typical of what you would expect from streamlight, good quality and will withstand a good amount of abuse. It will serve its purpose for finding critter "spills" :green: around the house.